Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ethical Question

I can relate, I also turn down most anything that requires my participation without giving me freedom of choice. At my work, in another county, that doesn't support needs in my own neighborhood, is very VERY proactive in soliciting participation for their various charity fundraisers. I usually decline because I support services closer to home. I don't feel at all guilty for it.

However, if it were something that seemed to matter that much to the powers that be, I'd be more inclined to suck it up and participate for the sake of being a team player. In your case since I'm all for strengthing women, and you know there are probably children attached to a lot of them, I think I could swallow it a little easier knowing that maybe one of them would have a better day because I contributed. Sometimes it's beneficial to count our own blessings, then decide if we have anything to give. I love Vines theory, and I agree...if you're out of spoons, well then... maybe next time. I also agree that talking to your hr dept could help you decide

I am pretty sure it is illegal to offer incentives to employees to participate in charity. So the company doing this is not really ethical in their practices by doing this.

I think you are a bit confused. This is not a company/employee issue. These people OWN their own businesses. They do not work for Slumber Parties. They are self-employed. Therefore, there is nothing illegal for Slumber Parties to ask for their distributors to participate.

Thank you 3loves for answering me civily. I had misread the initial post, and thought she was stating something different with the timecards.

For what it is worth, I had no idea where you were working Lisa. I know of slumber parties well, and personally know the area's top seller. I misread your initial post and was stating this as a caution to you. A simple explination like 3loves would have sufficed.

Most charities can be trusted, but there are a lot that cannot, so everyone should be very investigative when picking out who they are going to be giving their money to. God bless those who do give, and give generously.

They didn't even "ask" me. It's a group of women that are all doing it, and we get together for meetings and talk about the new SPARCUS. It's not a requirement - I just posted my feelings of guilt for not being as enthusiased as I feel I should be.

I think it is great that a group of you have decided to do this. We are involved in a lot of groups that do this. I understand your guilt of not wanting to participate, as we have already given to many other places as I have stated. We simply reply with "Thank you, but we have a lot of charities that we donate to, and are maxed out as far as we can go this year. Perhaps next year." Maybe people unerstand this, and you have made yourself known that you are not just being cheap. You are simply choosing other places to donate your time and charitable dollars.

"However, if it were something that seemed to matter that much to the powers that be, I'd be more inclined to suck it up and participate for the sake of being a team player."

See, that's kinda what I think, that I should just suck up. Hey, maybe after I help a woman get back on her feet she can adopt a Pit Bull!

Our company does that, they even have team captains from different departments and will take money out of your check if you want (yes they lay the guilt trip on pretty thick buttttt). I do not participate b/c I give to different charities and I am happy with my decision. I wish I could help everyone but thats not possible unless my company wants to throw in a few extra thousand in my paycheck :D

:D

We also donate to Cancer organizations directly because they have effected us personally.

We too donate to The Cancer society and the Luekemia Lymphoma Society every motnh since 2 of my 4 boys had cancer. I also donate to "Make A Wish Foundation" my younger son had his wish granted and my older son did not survive to see his wish granted. It is a fabulous organization. People donate because they want to not because they have to is how I see it.

I am not certain what you mean, in all honesty. I am just curious how she is doing with her band. The only think I know is that she was gone a long time and now she is back (and forth LOL!). Since I also understand she was around a long time before I ever arrived I really (honestly no kidding around) am interested in someone who has longevity is doing. She didn't start a controversial thread with this one so I'm respecting that. I don't have much to say about the charity thing and I don't know how much longer she'll be around so I took the opportunity to ask. I ask all the long term banders when I can. Thats it.

We too donate to The Cancer society and the Luekemia Lymphoma Society every motnh since 2 of my 4 boys had cancer. I also donate to "Make A Wish Foundation" my younger son had his wish granted and my older son did not survive to see his wish granted. It is a fabulous organization. People donate because they want to not because they have to is how I see it.

I have had 4 people in my family die from cancer, I myself am a cancer survivor from when I was a child, and there are 3 more people in my family currently battling cancer. And that is just my side. Rob's family has 2 people battling cancer, and 2 that have died from it. We onate heavly to cancer research. It has touched us in so many ways. We also donate to Make a Wish, and even participated in 3 wishes fulfilled.

I agree that donation must come from the heart. Not what someone pushes you into. You should choose because of what the charity does and how that effects your life. It means more, and it feels SO MUCH better.

Funny is so right on this. My old employer used to push us to give to a specific charity and made me feel very intimidated because I refused. I had a beautiful sister who died when she was only 9 years old. She was born with spina bifida and paralyzed from the waist down. She had 11 surgeries in her short life. Had she only been born 10 years later, she probably would have had a much better chance for life. Anyways, because of this, I am a strong supporter of the spina bifida association. It means a lot personally to me and that is why I give to them. I also love the Victory Junction Gang and what they do for children as well. There was nothing like that for my sister when she was alive. So, I contribute to them as well.

If you started your business to take time to work on yourself, I think it would be counter-productive of you to spend too much effort on other people and continuing to ignore your own needs, you know?

Diva- I think 3loves got a little snippy with you, because it's a pretty public fact that Lisa unfortunately lost her band to erosion, around the same time that Penni did. If you didn't go very far back in the archives, it would make sense you had no idea of that. :D