Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled for surgery on July 24th but I'm having second thoughts about going through with it. I am 50 years old, have struggled with my weight all my life, which sounds like I definitely SHOULD get it done. BUT, I have learned a lot about nutrition these last few years, and especially the last six months. My all-time peak weight was 330 and I currently weigh 260. I watched my weight slowly drift up to 320 until 2002, lost 50 lbs in two years, watched it drift up to 330 again until 2009, and then lost 60 lbs.the following year After that it drifted back up to about 295 by February of this year, when I started on this journey. Every other time I've lost weight, I was not doing what I'm doing now, which is high Proteins and low carbs. Yes, I'm hungry a lot of the time, but not unbearably so like the last two times. I am wondering if I have finally slayed the obesity monster this time, or will I relapse like before?

I realize this surgery is not a magic bullet, and is not complication-free, thus my concerns. Will I be inviting avoidable hardship?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

I'm scheduled for surgery on July 24th but I'm having second thoughts about going through with it. I am 50 years old' date=' have struggled with my weight all my life, which sounds like I definitely SHOULD get it done. BUT, I have learned a lot about nutrition these last few years, and especially the last six months. My all-time peak weight was 330 and I currently weigh 260. I watched my weight slowly drift up to 320 until 2002, lost 50 lbs in two years, watched it drift up to 330 again until 2009, and then lost 60 lbs.the following year After that it drifted back up to about 295 by February of this year, when I started on this journey. Every other time I've lost weight, I was not doing what I'm doing now, which is high Proteins and low carbs. Yes, I'm hungry a lot of the time, but not unbearably so like the last two times. I am wondering if I have finally slayed the obesity monster this time, or will I relapse like before?

I realize this surgery is not a magic bullet, and is not complication-free, thus my concerns. Will I be inviting avoidable hardship?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.[/quote']

Your story sounds so much like a lot our stories too. I've lost over 100 lbs twice in my 36 years. How many more times will I be able to lose that same 100 lbs before I'll be able to maintain? My metabolism won't allow it too many more times, and my bones can hardly handle the extra weight now. Only you know what you're capable of doing. If you're unsure, why not find out how long your pre-authorization is good for, and see how much you can lose on your own. I do have to comment that if you're hungry now, it will be harder to maintain your current eating habits without being satisfied. This is a good time to reflect on the decision to have wls. Good luck to you.

KS Fort Worth

You/me, maybe everyone here are yo-yo dieters

I willl lose weight too, only to regain, then lose etc., etc.

We can lose the weight, its keeping it off - dealing with maintenance to keep the weight off is the very difficult part :mellow:

You learning more about nutrion is great. It helps with the sleeve too. We talk alot about Protein and carbs and all that other important information

If learning all this important material about nutrition, if that knowledge will help you not gain the weight back, thats terrific. You can lose anad never gain again. That would not happen in my case though.

Get more information about the sleeve

look deeply into your heart, deciding if WLS is right for you. This is a tough decision. Don't take it lightly

good luck

kathy

How many times do you have to read that the surgery was the best thing the person could have done for him/her self?

If you can lose the weight and keep it off without surgical intervention, then great-do it.

However, most of us here have lost weight in the past (like other posters here, I have also lost over 100 pounds before on my own), but keeping it off has been the real challenge for most of us.

if you can stack the deck in favor of your long term success, why wouldn't you?

The success to complication ratio is so good, that to me, this is a "no brainier".

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thanks for the comments. I'm an Air Traffic Controller, so I make hundreds of decisions every day, yet I anguish over long-term ones like this. I kinda doubt I will back out, but I felt the doubt was worth exploring to see if it well-founded or simply fear talking.

I fully agree with everyone who has posted so far. If you can lose the weight and keep it off, that is fantastic.

And yes, it's true that this time you've educated yourself regarding nutrition, which in theory will help you maintain your weight loss.

I have done the lose/gain, lose/gain cycle myself countless times. And the last time I lost weight (in 2006), I lost over 100 lbs by myself. I became VERY educated regarding nutrition. I read every label I could before I put anything in my mouth. I tracked my intake, did TONS of exercise. It was AWESOME!

Then life happened (my Mom died unexpectedly, followed by my brother 5 months later). The stress totally put me off track, I "self-medicated" with food to help overcome the pain and stress and loss I was feeling. I regained most of my 100+ lbs. ( I was 330 lbs when I started, 225 lbs when Mom died, then back up to 318 prior to my VSG surgery).

During this regaining period, I still had my knowledge of nutrition, but it didn't help! I was ignoring everything I knew and volume/binge eating and satisfying all cravings.

Now, with my sleeve, even if I do go "off track" and eat things I shouldn't I won't be able to volume/binge eat. It is far less likely that I will regain a significant amount of weight. The "slippery slope" is more easily avoided with the sleeve.

For me, I knew I needed the additional help of having "built-in" Portion Control. No amount of health and nutrition knowledge was going to help me in moments of intense weakness, stress and reckless abandon.

I also have lost a lot of weight on my own. I know how to eat properly and to workout. Slowly but surely I start overeating again and gain everything back! I have clothes from size 14 to 22 which is where I am now. When I get surgery on the 18th I am convinced that this will be the tool I need to stop this overeating and allow me to live a life not based on food.< /p>

Thanks, Webchickadee and Livinglifeout, that's exactly the sort of thing I needed to hear. Last time I lost the weight, I had *some* good nutritional information, but not what i have now. Nonetheless, life also got in the way, I kept telling myself, "I can afford to eat this, I'm still below 275/280/285/290..." This brings me back to the original decision to get the sleeve, to, as you say, "hav(e) "built-in" portion control." Something to combat the inevitable stress in my life. I have not been anywhere CLOSE to an ideal weight for 30 years, and I WILL succeed this time!

Case closed. No longer questioning my decision.

I'm scheduled for surgery on July 24th but I'm having second thoughts about going through with it. I am 50 years old, have struggled with my weight all my life, which sounds like I definitely SHOULD get it done. BUT, I have learned a lot about nutrition these last few years, and especially the last six months. My all-time peak weight was 330 and I currently weigh 260. I watched my weight slowly drift up to 320 until 2002, lost 50 lbs in two years, watched it drift up to 330 again until 2009, and then lost 60 lbs.the following year After that it drifted back up to about 295 by February of this year, when I started on this journey. Every other time I've lost weight, I was not doing what I'm doing now, which is high Proteins and low carbs. Yes, I'm hungry a lot of the time, but not unbearably so like the last two times. I am wondering if I have finally slayed the obesity monster this time, or will I relapse like before?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Read my 6 Month Surgiversary post here:

http://www.verticals...__fromsearch__1

With this surgery you have no choice but to lose, because 85% of your stomach is removed. there is no way you can consume food like you did before. I just tunred 62 and had my surgery last Decmeber when I was 61. This is the best thing you can do for yourself and your family in my opinion.

Thanks' date=' Webchickadee and Livinglifeout, that's exactly the sort of thing I needed to hear. Last time I lost the weight, I had *some* good nutritional information, but not what i have now. Nonetheless, life also got in the way, I kept telling myself, "I can afford to eat this, I'm still below 275/280/285/290..." This brings me back to the original decision to get the sleeve, to, as you say, "hav(e) "built-in" portion control." Something to combat the inevitable stress in my life. I have not been anywhere CLOSE to an ideal weight for 30 years, and I WILL succeed this time!

Case closed. No longer questioning my decision.[/quote']

Good for you!

As an instrument rated private pilot, I have had a lot of experience with ATC, and I know once you make up your mind you're done! ;D

SV2, you're right about that! Time to move forward...

If you ever fly throught Fort Worth Center, I'll keep an eye on you!

SV2' date=' you're right about that! Time to move forward...

If you ever fly throught Fort Worth Center, I'll keep an eye on you![/quote']

Ha!

I sold my plane last December, so the only time you'll see me in FW Center is aboard a Southwest 737...