Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Struggling To Stop Smoking!

Im on Chantix, this is Day 10 and I'm still having bad withdrawal and it sucks so bad!

I have to stop smoking b4 surgery and I'm starring to worry it just may not be possible. I've only smoked 1/2 cigarette since 9:30 this morning but I want one so bad right now I would kill for it.

Anyway, is their anyone else going through this??

Johnathan

Nope, luckily I didn't have to do that, I quit a while ago...cold turkey no help. I smoked 2 packs a day too. Keep in mind your Mom and your little brother. Use this lesson of quitting smoking so your brother knows you are doing everything you can to be healthy so you can be there for him. Also, if he sees you smoke, chances are greater for him to become a smoker. Most people emulate those they look up to.

If you want a cigarette, go for a walk, brush your teeth, drink a cup of skim milk. All things that don't go well together. Try some sugar-free Vicks cough drops...sugar-free Refresh mouth lozenges.

Use the 22 days before surgery to make a healthier you, so your brother and mother won't stress so much about the surgery.

You can do it, you are worth doing it, and be proud of what you are doing. You have been through the hardest things you have ever had to deal with in your life and that's losing a loved one. This should be a piece of cake when you put it into perspective.

Sending my thoughts and prayers and best wishes.

Hi Johnathan...wish I had some really helpful advice for your pre-op because I know how that urge to smoke feels like since I was a former smoker who loved the menthols and clove ones. I used to carry around sugar-free peppermint sticks and then have that when my urges happened. Gum didn't work for me because I really missed holding the cigarette in my hand so the peppermint sticks helped me better. My dad was a smoker since he was in his teens, had 2 heart attacks, and got to be smoke-free for about 5 years after that. Later on we found out he became a closet smoker and smoked on breaks at work and kept mints in his pocket thinking my mom wouldn't be able to tell. He died in 1996 after suffering his 3rd heart attack. I keep this in mind whenever I try to even think about having a smoke. I hope you hang in there and keep remembering your own reasons for having the surgery. Stay strong!

Thanks ladies! I do want to become completely healthy! I want to be able to run! I've always wanted to be a runner because I'm fast, even being overweight I am still a good runner, just that u don't have much endurance lol

I'm gonba try the sugar free peppermint stick bc I have a prob with nothing in my hands too. I've been using him but it seems to not work too well. On to other stuff I guess.

Thanks!

Johnathan

You will do this.dont the smoke taste just aweful with the chantix?I used it and even though the mental addiction was terrible the smokes just tastes too vile!

Just keep drinking the pills as prescribed and try not to smoke.

It really does get easier!

Jonathan - best of luck to you!! I am a casual smoker (two or three a day on work days, and more on weekends). I want to quit too, but it's hard since my husband smokes.

My advice is to cut down slowly, but you probably know what works best for you!!!

You will do this.dont the smoke taste just aweful with the chantix?I used it and even though the mental addiction was terrible the smokes just tastes too vile!

Just keep drinking the pills as prescribed and try not to smoke.

It really does get easier!

That's the thing- the taste hasn't changed at all! It burbs my throat a little but the taste isn't any different at all and I wish it would bc that would make it a little easier.

I am having a hard time as well... I have made it 6 days and its killing me...

Physical addiction lasts 3 days. Mental addiction is 28 days so they say. Remember the reason why you are doing it and you can do it.

My husband smoked for a year after I quit. I made him smoke outside. It's the best thing I have ever done for myself, the 2nd is this surgery.

I quit a few years ago and used those Nicorette Patches. I got the highest strength one, cut it in half and I would put one on as soon as the craving got unbearable. After a couple hours, I took it off.

Rinse, repeat.

It did the trick for me.

At first, I went through 2 Patches a day, then I was able to taper down to the point where I could handle the cravings.

Oh man, I feel for you. I remember when I was quitting smoking it was SO HARD! People kept telling me that it's out of your system in three days. Like that's supposed to make it easier! It unbelievably difficult for the first three weeks. Seriously didn't know if I'd make it or not. Somewhere in the fourth week it started to ease up a bit, so hang in there!!! That's not to say that it suddenly got easier, because it didn't. It slowly slowly started taking up less space in my obsessive mind. I'm not gonna lie to you, I still get cravings once in awhile, but they are NOTHING like they were in the beginning. You CAN do this. Just keep fighting. Never give up!

I've been smoke free since May 14. I also had to stop smoking prior to surgery. I used the nicotine patch and suckers to help. I've been off the patch since my surgery, just would forget to put them on, and I'm doing good. I'm surprised with myself. I feel so much better, especially when I'm exercising. Again, i must say,I'm really surprised about my progress. I LOVED smoking. I'm 34 and been smoking since I was 16. Never thought I'd be in the place i am now with smoking.

I'm actually feeling a little better tonight, haven't smoked anything since the half a cigarette at 3ish? And that was almost 9 hours ago. I think as long as I have a clean start in the morning it'll be easier.

I just have this feeling of anxiety in the pit of my stomach and I hate it!

Thank you all for your support!!

Johnathan

You can do it. I quit 7 years ago. I used the patch, chewed straws and lots of gum. I still chew lots of gum. I agree with having a list of things to do when you want a cigarette, exercise, brush teeth...I used to make myself wash dishes by hand when I wanted a cigarette. Can't smoke if your hands are dripping wet. I also found a website quitnet or something. It would do like a count down after each day...it had something like 1 day 5 hours since you quit smoking, your lungs are getting clearer, you've saved $ 7.00, you've added 10 days to your life span... stuff like that. It was very motivating to log on and see what changes for the better were going on in my body. It also had message boards like this one with other people who were quitting. It helped me alot. Every once in awhile I'll still get a craving like I'm missing something but, I can't stand the smell of smoke now. I'm one of those horrible ex-smokers. LOL It was the best decision of my life. Oh, and throw away all of your ash trays, lighters, and matches. I always thought if I could just prevent myself from smoking that ONE cigarette I'd be ok. It did get easier after the first 30 days. I also kept telling myself if I could just make it to 30 days smoke free I'd be home free. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Iv been smoking for 20 yrs and as soon as they said we need u to stop smoking 2months before surgery I was like how am I going to do that ?? I did it I just stopped nothing is going to keep me from this sleeve when I'm having a urge I walk or drink Water