Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Did You Tell Your Kids?

I think kids should be a part of a decision like this. It is something that will effect their lives as well. Regardless of their age they should be informed that mommy or daddy are going to the hospital and will have surgery. With children it is all the way it is explained to them. It has to be explained to them in a way they will understand. Every child is different and has a different way of understanding things and dealing with them. I know from personal experience the younger they are the more questions they will ask.

I have a four year old and an eight year old. They both know that I'm having "tummy surgery" but as to what they know, it's different levels for each.

The four year old know that I will be gone overnight and he will be staying with my parents for a couple of days. That's really about it for him, because I'm not sure he's ready for the whole story.

My eight year old knows a little more about it. She knows exactly what they're going to do to me and the changes that are going to happen afterward. She's been my little cheerleader. Tonight when I was making dinner, I said "Oh my Lord, this is killing me!!" (i'm on my two week pre-op diet) and she said "Be strong, Mama! You can do it!" :-)

I have a four year old and an eight year old. They both know that I'm having "tummy surgery" but as to what they know' date=' it's different levels for each.

The four year old know that I will be gone overnight and he will be staying with my parents for a couple of days. That's really about it for him, because I'm not sure he's ready for the whole story.

My eight year old knows a little more about it. She knows exactly what they're going to do to me and the changes that are going to happen afterward. She's been my little cheerleader. Tonight when I was making dinner, I said "Oh my Lord, this is killing me!!" (i'm on my two week pre-op diet) and she said "Be strong, Mama! You can do it!" :-)[/quote']

How stinking cute is she!!! She loves you :)

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX

Your three and four year olds are cracking me up!

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX

How stinking cute is she!!! She loves you :)

life is a journey' date=' not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX[/quote']

She sure is, and does. She my little shining light :-)

I have three adult children and I've told two so far. I told my daughter first and she said she was happy for me. My son who knows has some palate problems and will be having major surgery in the next year to fix his jaw and palate. His response was "why wouldn't you do something to make your life better?". My other son just had his first child (well, his wife did) today. I have not told them yet. I don't want to worry them at a time like this and was trying to think of a way to gloss over it until it was done, but after talking with my doctor today, I am going to wait until we are closer and tell them the truth. As my doctor pointed out honestly is only fair and good for all of us in the long run.

We have two girls, 9 and 13 and we told them the absolute truth. Mommy and Daddy were going to have the same surgery a month or so apart, so that we'd both have a better tool at losing weight and getting healthier and that we would be here longer for them. My oldest was fine with it, and my youngest was okay with it after a couple of days of reassuring that everything would be okay and that we showed her exactly what would happen and how long things would be.

I told them I am having surgery in Mexico but I haven't yet tell them of what. My family doesn't know that I'm having This surgery. U know my little one will understand (10) but my oldest (13) I don't think his going to accept it. He tells me he doesn't want nothing to happen to me that he will put me in a crystal box..lol I guess cause I tell them that.. lol I will talk to my boys before I leave for my surgery. My surgery is on.Aug.10.

Best wishes to all.