Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Get Sleeved In Mexico?

Hi All,

I just got sleeved in Mexico on June 25, so I am one week post op at this point and feeling pretty good.

I have had a pretty great surgery experience and thanksfully no post op complications. I am following all the surgeons direction to the letter and I have had pretty good success so far... down 10.6 pounds in 7 days.

Anyways my question for all you experienced sleevers out there are about finding the right support after surgery for success...

Because I wasn't sleeved in Canada, I don't have a sugical support group for phycologists and nutritionists. I can access them privately now that I'm home, but I'm wondering if you've found these resources helpful and if so how often do you go and see them?

I know at some point I am going to need help but (I hate to sound audacious) but I know a lot about nutrition and I don't have a phycological distorder so why would I go?

Hey Kitty! I was sleeved in MX 6/11/12. I also had my band surgery done in MX by the same doc in Feb 2011.

I (like you I am sure) did a TON of research on these surgeries before making the step and getting them done. I am not a nutritionist, but I bet I could give them a run for their money with my nutrition knowledge. I prepared myself for this due to the fact that I knew I wouldn't be seeing a nutritionist post-op.

Psychologically, I could definitely use some therapy (for weight loss related issues and other stuff) - but I am a stubborn one, and did not have a very good experience my last attempt and getting therapy, so I haven't been back since.

I know some people search out therapists that specifically deal with WLS patients, and feel it should be mandatory to do that in order for proper care. I am sure it would help, but I am sure someone would benefit from any sort of therapy help versus none at all (I speak for myself here, too! lol).

Hi Blondeej,

Thanks for your comments! I did do a ton of research and I appreciate what you had to say about the nutritionist. I can easily make sure that I am meeting the guidelines for Protein, Vitamins etc,

Just out of curiousity what do people talk about in terms of therapy as it relates to Weight Loss Surgery? I know that might be a very personal question so feel free not to answer, but I'm just wondering because I really don't have a lot of tramatic events in my life which might contribute to overeating.

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I eat too much and I love food, which is why I got the gastric band,

I guess what I'm tying to say, rather inarticulately, is Weight Loss Surgery therapy to explore why we overeat or how we feel as we lose weight? If it's how we feel as we lose weight, I'm just curious if you know what some of the potential problems that people face because for the most part I would have thought people would feel pretty good about it....

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Kitty

Hi Blondeej,

Thanks for your comments! I did do a ton of research and I appreciate what you had to say about the nutritionist. I can easily make sure that I am meeting the guidelines for Protein, Vitamins etc,

Just out of curiousity what do people talk about in terms of therapy as it relates to Weight Loss Surgery? I know that might be a very personal question so feel free not to answer, but I'm just wondering because I really don't have a lot of tramatic events in my life which might contribute to overeating.

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I eat too much and I love food, which is why I got the gastric band,

I guess what I'm tying to say, rather inarticulately, is Weight Loss Surgery therapy to explore why we overeat or how we feel as we lose weight? If it's how we feel as we lose weight, I'm just curious if you know what some of the potential problems that people face because for the most part I would have thought people would feel pretty good about it....

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Kitty

I am not 100% sure I am positive what exactly you're asking, but I will try to answer the best I can... lol And obviously I am not a therapist, so I can only speak from my own knowledge and experience.

A lot of individuals that have WLS are not people that have been overweight for a few years and decide to do something about it. Most WLS candidates are people that have suffered for many many years with their weight and all that encompasses - their self-esteem, their relationships with friends, family, coworkers and partners. There is a lot more damage that is done to oneself that has been oppressed by their weight for such a long time other than the physical ailments and issues.

A lot of people find once they have these surgeries and get to a weight they either haven't experienced since maybe adolescence or maybe can't even remember if there ever was a time they were that skinny - it tends to bring up other issues. Which we are forced to deal with because we don't have our weight and fat and food to hide behind anymore.

I am a firm believer that everyone eats and becomes obese for a reason. Do we all love food? Well yea, but every single one of us could say "I got fat because I just LOVE LOVE food and I love to eat!" - well the majority of the skinny population in the world I am sure could say the same thing about their love for food and to eat, but they're not morbidly obese and don't have side effects due to that love for food like we do.

So what's the difference? Where's the disconnect? I believe those questions are ones that we all need to figure out in order to be successful long term in this journey. Successful as a whole. And the majority of the time this isn't something individuals can solve on their own, they need to reach out for professional help to guide them to a healthy and sustaining life.

I didn't have any huge traumatic events in my life. My parents are still together and in love and married after 30+ years. I had a loving childhood. But I started eating to comfort my emotions at a very young age. I remember hoarding and hiding food as young as 8. I didn't know why I did it then other than it made me feel good. Now that I am an adult I can look back and point out what I think were triggers to my behaviors, and I still need to fix those if I truly want to be at peace with myself throughout this journey.

Everyday is a battle in more ways than one. It's how you choose to handle it and persevere which will help determine it all.... I hope that one day I can look in the mirror and truly love myself. All of me. I am a far ways away from that now, but I want to get there. And I want to work for it. :)

Hi Blondeej,

Your comments have definitely shed some light on why one would neede therapy after weight loss surgery.

You posed a tough question for me which is, are there other reasons why I am overweight? The truth is I have no idea... I know that if I've had a bad day before the surgery I would want a big Mac and fries and that would somehow make me feel better but that is maybe 5% of the time. The other 95% of the time I truely don't know why I have overeaten... but I guess that is part of the reason people have therapy.

Anyways, I really appreciate your comments. I have learned a lot from you and because of what you've said I will pursue seeing a therapist at least a few times to see what kinds of thing i need to work on.

Thanks,

Kitty