Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post Op And Feeling Low Help!

Any HELP would be really appreciated. I was sleeved on friday morning June 29th, since then Ive had a hell of a time keeping down anything let alone the desire to even drink Water. Everything taste GROSS! My emotions are all over the place, i feel a little depressed and I have extream anxiety. Is this normal?

Also can YOU PLEASE give me some tips on getting in calories on the week one after post op diet. Im feeling a lot of regret right now! I could cry.

sleeved on friday morning June 29th,

hun

You are stil a babe in the woods.

you just had WLS - you can't be expected to be perfect yet

if your referring to the Protein shakes not being tasty , i know - yeach

you need to try a few different types of shakes til you find one thats ok. some brands have samplers, with different flavors in a pack.

The most important thing now is drink, drink, drink and then drink some more as much as can. i drank Water.

you can take your time drinking, but you don't want to get dehydrated. so drink what you can, very slowly is ok , just drink -its very important

as far as your emotions go, Mine were all over the place too, so don't worry about that. many of us dealt with these kinds of problems too, they will subide.

don't worry about calories now, that will come in time.

some people do experience "buyers remorse" but thats many and far between, usually that feeling goes away with time as you feel better.

btw its ok to have a good cry once in a while

feel better sooner than later

take care

good luck

kathy

I am 7 days out today and YES this is normal. I went through all that too. Thought I was losing my mind. I didn't want to eat, drink, talk...I just sit around in a daze like someone just slapped me and was totally confused. Didn't want to make any decisions. I still feel a little out of it but it is getting better every day. Drink when you can. Walk when you can. Try to get some sunshine. Go to town or to see a friend. My best advice - get out of the house as soon as you can ! The more I sit here, the more depressed I get. I started getting my appetite for at least Water was about day 5. Day 6 I couldn't get enough water. I carry a bottle water around with me everywhere I go the past two days. I do confuse being hungry for being thirsty. If I think I'm starving, I can take a drink and be fine. Hang in there. Yes, you are right on track. :)

I didn't and still haven't worried about calories yet. My nurse told me don't worry about eating it you don't feel like it, just stay hydrated. I do enjoy SF popsicles though.

Below in blue.

Any HELP would be really appreciated. I was sleeved on friday morning June 29th, since then Ive had a hell of a time keeping down anything let alone the desire to even drink Water. Everything taste GROSS! My emotions are all over the place, i feel a little depressed and I have extream anxiety. Is this normal? An emotional roller coaster is fairly normal. It's partly hormonal, partly mental, and probably a bunch of other "partlies" too. I was a WLS patient for 6 years before I had my sleeve, and had about 4 years of considering the sleeve my next step, and I still had frequent bouts of wondering if I made the right choice - especially in the first 2 - 3 weeks after surgery. Things are hard then. Everything is a struggle. You have to re-learn everything you know. Your body is doing everything it can to make you eat/drink and - you just can't do it. Trust me, it will get easier. You will adjust. It took a good 4 weeks before I really felt OK, and probably 2 more before I felt like myself. I did not have any problems keeping anything down. You might be trying to eat too quickly, or too big of bites. Sometimes it takes a bit for the "that's enough!" feeling to register. Try taking only the tiniest of bites, and by tiniest I mean 1/4" or so. And wait a good 3 minutes before taking another. It takes a while to learn the signals.

Also can YOU PLEASE give me some tips on getting in calories on the week one after post op diet. Im feeling a lot of regret right now! I could cry.

Don't worry too much about calories your first week out. Focus on hydration. You need the hydration more than anything else. Your calorie count is going to be low for a while. I'm 3 months out and still gravitate to around 400 - 500 calories. I make myself eat in the range of 600 - 700, and my NUT is pestering me to get up to 800 - 1000, like, 2 weeks ago. The vast majority of calories you get at this point should be from Protein. It took me a while to reach Protein goals. I think about 5 weeks. A gram of protein is 4 calories. So when you can get all your protein in, that will automatically be 240 cals.

Check with your NUT on what it's OK to add for add'l cals. I added a low carb juice - it's what I prefer to mix my Fiber into.

For at least the first 4 weeks, my capacity was measured in tablespoons. You just aren't going to get many calories in a tablespoon of anything. Hang in there, it truly does get easier.

I didn't and still haven't worried about calories yet. My nurse told me don't worry about eating it you don't feel like it, just stay hydrated. I do enjoy SF popsicles though.

Thank you so much for the reply, I feel like I am about to have a nervous breakdown. Its comforting to know im not alone. Please add me as a friend if you would like I would love to stay in touch.

Hang in there. Know that it get's better!!! Every day from here on out will get just a little better. Focus on getting some Water in and don't worry about the calories. In another week or two you will have no regrets. It's a major change but your body will get used to it faster than you think. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and feeling great!!! you will too!!!

Hang in there. Know that it get's better!!! Every day from here on out will get just a little better. Focus on getting some Water in and don't worry about the calories. In another week or two you will have no regrets. It's a major change but your body will get used to it faster than you think. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and feeling great!!! you will too!!!

Thanks so much, I really apprecite it. How much weight have you lost in the 2 1/2 weeks?

I told my mom this past week, I think day 4 that I was having a mental breakdown. Its like the old me had died and I was on the other side of the gravestone about to start a new life but had no idea which way to put my first step. I had buyers remorse too. Still trying to get over that. I just kept reading on here others experiences, asked questions and worried the pooh out of everyone. What ever it takes to get you through. If you have to comment every 30 min to get you through that hour, do it. I hate to say it, but for me, as long as I still discuss how I feel on here, I feel I'm still in the hospital. I hope that passes too. I try not to use smells or things I love while Im down so when I do crawl out of this hole a victor, I'll still enjoy those things. :) Thinking of you today hun. You're going to be ok. Hang in there. Going for my one week post op in a couple hours. I figure they will discuss me eating then. Praying for you in Arkansas.

It does get better. For the first 10 days I mostly drank Water, decaff peppermint tea with truvia in it cause it tastes good warm or cold and it settled my tummy. My first priority was 64 ounces of liquids. I did have some sugar-free popsicles too.

I had a rough time drinking out of a water bottle. I still can't do it without causing too much gas and bloating in my esophagus and I'm 4 weeks out today. I still revert back to using the the one ounce med cups (or a shot glass and throughout the day I try drinking out of a regular glass. I drink my shakes out of a regular glass and I am still struggling getting shakes down. They fight me. I drank these shakes for 7 months before my surgery and I loved them. Now they give me issues.

Most important thing is to stay hydrated, walk when you can, sip and rest. I took a nap every day for 10 days. I sat in a rocking chair, walked. To see how far I was walking, I basically walked in my living room into kitchen then dining room in a big circle and I would try to get my walking up to 20 minutes and I did that 3 times a day. I started doing it outside when I felt like I could walk far enough away from home. (liquids in liquid out)

Cut yourself some slack, you just had surgery, this was a major surgery and you need to focus on healing, that's the main focus...healing and you can only really heal if you get in enough fluids. Proteins while important is not that important the first two weeks. Do the best you can with them.

Best of luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Take it from someone who had serious complications during surgery which extended my surgery another 5 hours...after it was already in programs 1-1/2 hours and I have Lupus and mixed connective tissue disease, a 3mm brain tumor, Glaucoma and I will be 49 years old soon, every day is a little better than the day before. I spent 5 days in the hospital and I would do it all over again.

It is really normal to be scare at this point. We all had buyer's remorse, but soon when things got better, we succeeded at losing our weight and we now love our sleeves! This is a life changing transformation that we are all going through. You have done great and have been struggling with hormonal changes which is quite normal. it will pass and you will be feeling better, getting more Protein in your diet and will be embracing your transformational changes really quickly. Hang in here and post what ever is on your mind. You are on course and blooming! CONGRATS! :)

What you're experiencing is completely normal! My first week was a roller coaster ride of emotions. One minute I was feeling so positive and then the next I'd be full of regret. Luckily, my doc and nutritionist had warned me that hormones are stored in fat cells, and are being released into the bloodstream once your calorie intake drops so drastically. Even though I was forewarned, the mood swings hit me HARD. Just do what you can to distract yourself, be it watching movies on TV, reading trashy romance novels, or playing computer games...lol. You'll find that in a week or so, you'll be feeling much better.

As for getting all your calories in, my nutritionist told me not to worry about that so much the first week. She and my doctor were more concerned with me staying hydrated. Water tasted "off" to me, so I tried adding Crystal Light and miracle of miracles, I could sip that stuff all day. And thank goodness for SF popsicles....I practically lived off those and broth the first week. I was lucky to get 300 calories a day the first week, but I did stay hydrated. So far, I haven't heard of anyone having to go back into the hospital for not getting enough calories in, but I have heard of plenty of folks who ended up hospitalized for dehydration.

Do keep walking and as Looking Ahead suggested, try to get some sunshine. And if you need someone to chat with, just log on here and I'm sure you'll find someone to talk with. This is a great group of folks!

I told my mom this past week, I think day 4 that I was having a mental breakdown. Its like the old me had died and I was on the other side of the gravestone about to start a new life but had no idea which way to put my first step. I had buyers remorse too. Still trying to get over that. I just kept reading on here others experiences, asked questions and worried the pooh out of everyone. What ever it takes to get you through. If you have to comment every 30 min to get you through that hour, do it. I hate to say it, but for me, as long as I still discuss how I feel on here, I feel I'm still in the hospital. I hope that passes too. I try not to use smells or things I love while Im down so when I do crawl out of this hole a victor, I'll still enjoy those things. :) Thinking of you today hun. You're going to be ok. Hang in there. Going for my one week post op in a couple hours. I figure they will discuss me eating then. Praying for you in Arkansas.

Thanks a bunch! Good luck at your appointment and prayers your way as well.

THANK YOU EVERYONE. THIS HELPS A BUNCH, I DONT FEEL SO ALONE AND IM NOW OPTIMISTIC THIS FEELING WEIGHING OVER ME SHALL PASS.

Thanks so much, I really apprecite it. How much weight have you lost in the 2 1/2 weeks?

I've lost 20 pounds post op. I lost 15 on the pre-op diet and another 10 prior to that just by cutting soda out of my diet. so in all I'm 45 pounds lighter than when I started this whole journey.