Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared To Leave A Lifetime Of Food Behind

First off I'm new here and 2nd here is my story I got ky approve to see a doc about getting the band on march they told me to call back next year so I let it at that then I get a call early June that they have a opening and I start my class ASAP then I switched to the sleeve and wow was not thinking it would be this fast so now I just finshed my last class on Thursday and they have send all my stuff to get approved to the insurance I was sure I wanted to do this be healthy for my daughter (who will be 3 in Sept) watch her grow up and have her get used to living a healthy life style since my dad died at 34 of heart issues when I was 11 and a half bro passed away because he was overweight I don't want that to be me but I'm scared and I have been eating like this my whole life my issue is I don't eat all day but at night so that's a big no no I know this is not a fast fix and I will have to change my whole life style with food its a tool to help me but I this past weekend I have been thinking food has been my friend and I can't eat what I used to yikes but I know I need to do this for my self and daughter I have great support but its like leaving something behind you love I have read post of people how they feel how do you all get in the mind set to be ready for this ?? I feel since I'm young it would be good to be healthy and watch ny daughter grow up and not have a weight issue but what are some tips you use to get your little hungry mind to be ready thanks again for your response

first of all I hope you have opted for vertical sleeve and not band....

second, with vst you are NOT leaving your food behind you which is why so many people are happy with this surgery. You can honestly eat whatever you want just in smaller quantities and over the course of time (after your tummy heals and what not). Now, that doesn't mean you can go crazy and eat ANYTHING your lil heart desires BUT you can still enjoy the things you love from time to time. The thing you have to be careful of is understanding "why am I eating right now" and stop yourself. It's a psychological thing. If you are reaching for food when you are sad, stressed, happy whatever whatever and find that you are reaching for food when your emotions are running high then this is unhealthy and the reason you are over eating, but if you are a "foodie" and genuinely love to eat and taste things then you can continue this. If you are an emotional eater then you have to grab a hold of that habit and try to understand why you are doing what you are doing and correct the behaviour by replacing it with something else....like blogging, swimming, running, having a cup of joe whatever as long as it's not over eating. You have to grab a hold of this before you have any surgery otherwise it's not going to work for you, you will find a way to eat through your wls....I have told many of my friends to have a couple sessions of counseling with a therapist before the surgery just to have a good handle on the emotional side of things:)

I agree with italianlady. You do not have to give up all the foods you love, that is the beauty of the sleeve. However, you have to learn to treat certain foods exactly as that, treats. I still have ice cream, but only once in a while, and I only have a small cone. Also, emotional eating is a big struggle for most of us, so it is important to get that under control. You do have to realize that you will have to change your eating habits or you will not be successful. The sleeve is an amazing tool, but it is a tool, and you can sabotage it if you try.

I have to young children myself, they were 15 months and 3 when I went for my surgery, and I did it partly for them too. I wanted them to have a healthy Mommy. I know you are scared, but it really is worth it. You have to think about what is more important in life, the food you love, or your family and your health. When you look at it that way....

I remember having an overwhelming feeling of sadness at one point during pre-op weight loss when I realized that I would no longer be turning to "my old friend - food" to deal with a stressful day, or when I felt lonely, or when I was celebrating anything....but the feeling was fleeting...we are more adaptable than we think we are and the cravings pass if we let them.

Fast forward....I lost about 30 pounds pre-op just with lowering calories and lots of walking and on 4/6/12 had my surgery. It takes time to get through the different steps of eating post-op but I managed pretty well. After six weeks when I got to regular foods the real work began of figuring out how to live, day in and day out, finding out how to tweak an old fave for the new me, and it works. I craved Mexican food and had my refried Beans with melted cheese, a little sour cream and salsa. I wanted Italian and made the little ricotta bake with meat sauce in the bottom of a ramiken, a dollop of ricotta, more sauce and motzarella and parm on top baked in the oven until hot and bubbly. I have ceviche with some hot sauce, steamed clams, salmon patties....cottage cheese with fruit...a chile relleno mini omelette....

I'm still a foodie and I love to cook and Celebrate....I still do it, just in a healthier way...and the restriction is wonderful, so what if you can only eat a small portion...you feel absolutely FULL.

The best part...I am 70 pounds lighter and so much happier...and still losing....little by little...slowly but surely.

My surgery is tomorrow, and I'm truly looking forward to it. Great advice from the above. I also recommend that you make a list of what your life will be like once you've lost the weight. There is a thread called "what are you looking forward to?". I really enjoy reading the responses as it confirms for me that I'm on my way to the life I desire. Right now, I'm tired, I'm hungry and I'm craving all sorts of stuff. And I will enjoy EVERYTHING I'm craving a few months from now, in smaller quantities and in a smaller body. And, I'll ride the roller coasters, sit in restaurant booths, shop in dept. stores, and on and on and on.... (Did i mention some quality cuddling?)

I am a few days from surgery and have the same worries.

I love good food. I have eaten countless meals in exotic places in every corner of the world and hope to do it all again (in small bites). I could be a producer for Anthony Bourdain.

If it wasnt' for the sleeve procedure I wouldn't have considered bariatric surgery. My wife had a bypass 10 years ago and I would not have opted for that will all the dumping and such.

I am banking on the idea that this surgery will get me to a better place and help me maintain a new balance for the rest of my life. As for my preceding existance....It was a Hell of a ride. Every pound has a story. Time to turn the page.

We are going to be OK

I am a few days from surgery and have the same worries.

I love good food. I have eaten countless meals in exotic places in every corner of the world and hope to do it all again (in small bites). I could be a producer for Anthony Bourdain.

If it wasnt' for the sleeve procedure I wouldn't have considered bariatric surgery. My wife had a bypass 10 years ago and I would not have opted for that will all the dumping and such.

I am banking on the idea that this surgery will get me to a better place and help me maintain a new balance for the rest of my life. As for my preceding existance....It was a Hell of a ride. Every pound has a story. Time to turn the page.

We are going to be OK

You, my friend, are a true foodie! :D We love our food and don't want to give it up that's why the sleeve is perfect for us. It's just a matter of having a healthy relationship with food. Loving it, caressing it but not smoothering it to death with kisses and hugs ;)

I got MAD at food!! I got the point that i was too physically limited to do many many things, and I blamed myself and stupid food!! I decided I was NOT going to be imprisoned by it ANY more!! "Go to Hell, unhealthy food!! I will NOT be enslaved by you any more!! I will control YOU!!" The sleeve has helped me do JUST that! I went into this in attack mode, not in wistful, oh I'll miss you mode. Get your GRRRRR face on and get some attitude!!!

(I'm really not crazy...:lol:)

I thought about the same thing, "how will I be able to give up....etc" and to be honest after a couple of weeks post-op, my tastes have changed dramatically and I don't want alot of what I used to eat. To me that is amazing, cause I thought that could not happen, but when your sleeved a certain hormone is removed and takes away certain food cravings, I don't crave carbs anymore and I was the carb Queen! I still like chocolate here and there but I don't want the junk like I used to. Besides with this surgery you can still eat what you want you just won't eat alot of it and be satisfied with a couple of bites instead of the whole thing.

I'm sure you'll be fine.. :)

PS: My father died of obesity in 2001 he was 5ft 4inches and almost 500lbs. He suffered alot with his weight especially with his breathing, he had sleep apnea and stopped breathing while sleeping, he was only 55yrs old. He loved food way to much and didn't care what it was doing to him.

Wow I needed to see this post! I can completely relate to everything that has been said here and it's a relief that others have felt the same. I'm so excited yet so nervous, having "failed" so many times with previous attempts to lose weight. I'm so glad to know others have been in the same boat and mindset and have succeeded.