Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh My--It Is July--Surgery Month!

I am scheduled for surgery on the 23rd. For some reason thinking I have surgery "later this month" is freaking me out a little. And I just read a post about my surgeon being an a$$ to another patient when she complained of pain. To be honest, I didn't really really "hit it off" with my surgeon that much, but I didn't dislike him either. Any advice on how to deal with a big case of nerves in the weeks leading up to surgery?

If you find an answer.. PLEASE share it with me!! Im July 5!!

I feel the same way about my surgeon. I dont not like him.. but I dont LOVE him like I wish I did. Im confident he will do a good job, but I wish he could lighten up a bit!

Okay, there's saying "suck it up" about pain (totally wrong) and then there's excellent surgeon/not so hot bedside manner. In general, I think surgeons are not as concerned with the emotional side as they are making sure you are operated on carefully. I happen to have a surgeon who has a wonderful bedside manner but most are so limited on time, they do what they need to professionally and they get out. We have so many people in these bariatric centers available- between the NUT, the PA's, nurses, psychologists.

If you KNOW your surgeon has a great reputation, I'd say do it anyway. I'd rather have a great doc who isn't particularily nice than a real friendly one who isn't as experienced.

Both is better-- but hard to come by.

Can't imagine not liking my surgeon,or not caring so much for him, this is hard enough without that! lol I was just sleeved June 29th so I understand the anxious feelings, I was so nervous the night before, cried the morning of and cried and tried to back out in preop! they gave me something to relax me and off I went! I do not regret it, I was just so nervous at the permanence of the decision and really I guess, the unknown! Some people do well with no pain and no complications yet others have a hard time so not knowing how my body was going to react was almost to much for my head to wrap around. I am one of the lucky ones with very little pain, easy to get Water and broth down and walking like a maniac! Couldn't have asked for a better recovery! I know I'm only 3 days out but goodness, I have heard some stories so I feel lucky!

Anyway, just look forward and know that these feelings are very normal and you made this decision for your new life! Good luck!!

I feel the same way as you did, Tonibugg the recovery, the horror stories...I am so nervous! I cry thinking about everything and I am not even at the hospital yet! I start my pre-op all liquids diet on Tuesday...My surgery date is July 13th, I am excited but scared as hell! Especially after reading some of peoples issues...But I know its better than the way I am now.

I love my surgeon. He is awesome, highly recommend and funny, seems to genuinelly care about me. I feel as though it could go both ways about your surgeon, just go with your gut!

Yeah--my surgeon is the one that told another patient to "suck it up" when she reported pain.....NICE. I personally fear the whole "being a patient" thing. I work in a job where I am in control of a lot of what goes on and I am a single mom....SO, I am pretty much used to being in control-- or as in control as you can be with a 2 year old--and I really freak out as a patient. I am not scared of pain and feel pretty confidant that the surgery will go well, I am just a little--strike that--very very uncomfortable of not being in control--and that is what being a patient is all about.

I get really nervous if I THINK about the actual surgery. I try not to dwell on that part, hopefully it won't get worse as the day gets closer. I have never met my surgeon yet but I trust the people I have talked to about him and his good reviews. I know he is a great doctor and he will do his best on me. My husband has told me that he gets scared for me SO I try to be strong and not show concern. I don't want him stressing over my stress. The morning of the actual surgery I am sure that I will be a nervous mess!