Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Disappointment...

Okay. FIRST off, I am at work and trying to hold it together.

The surgeon anticipated my having surgery sometime late September or early October as all I had to have was bloodwork and an endoscopy. Done. Ready to rock and roll, right? I expected to get a surgery date this week.

F*CKING WRONG!

I got the lab results today and my Iron is low. They want me to take an iron supplement (325mg/day) and a Vitamin C supplement (500mg/day) for TWO FRIGGIN MONTHS, retest my blood and then they'll look to schedule a date. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED AND SO ANGRY AND JUST WANT TO CRY AND KICK AND STOMP MY FEET then go to Bob Evans. :hungry: :think :hungry:

Just thinking about it puts tears in my eyes. I'm ready to go home, crawl into bed with a sack of Double-Stuff Oreos and watch I Love Lucy reruns. I want meaty cheesy followed by salty sweet. And even though it won't make me feel better, it will get me through the bad feelings I'm having now.

I had a physical in April and my PCP noticed the low iron (I don't eat a lot of meat) but said it was 2 points within "normal" range, so they weren't worried. FUGGITALL! If my PCP doesn't care, wtf? Although, I also had low blood during my pregnancy and my OB/GYN put me on iron for 4 months so my blood would be strong for the C-section. So I understand needing the supplement and the waiting period.

I guess I'm writing this to you all for support as well as to myself to get my head around my bloodwork issues, my ongoing mental malfunction (that makes me want to eat through my pain instead of deal with it) and my ultimate goal, which is to lose weight.

Two months isn't that long, right? I mean I've waited 38 years for the band, so 2 more months is a mere blink of the eye. The surgeon challenged me to lose 10 - 15 lbs prior to surgery. With 2 months ahead of me, I can do that and more! I have an elliptical machine at home; I can challenge myself to be on it daily for at least 30 minutes. I will eat lots of spinach and other foods with iron in addition to my supplements (to keep Constipation at bay) and I will, in 2 months, be ready to be banded.

I truly believe that this is a crock of bullsh*t, but I also believe that the surgeon's office wants me to be as healthy as I can going into a major surgical procedure. My inner child is throwing a helluva tantrum right now; rational me is making a plan to make it through the next 2 months. F*cking iron...

Thanks for listening to my rant/pity party/stream of consciousness musings...

And thanks in advance for the support.

Nathalie

Sorry for your delay in the process. But once your Iron levels are good you will be banded. Now is a good time to stock up on Protein Shakes, powder Protein, Jello and all that stuff you will need. Plus start an exercise routine and practice not drinking with meals and follow the banster rules. Best of luck!

I know exactly how you feel!!!!! I was ready to roll and my lab work came back that I had H pylori. Stupid bacteria.

At least Iron pills are itty bitty. I had to take 3 horse pill antibiotics and a prilosec in the morning and at night. Trust me, the two months will go by fast.

I got my band two weeks ago and Im still wondering where the time went.

Any words of wisdom? I go for the preop testing on Sept 5th and my surgery is scheduled for the 8th. I am praying that everything goes well and I am done jumping thru the hoops. (I had to wait 6 months and then another month because my doctor got sick) I really don't want another snag... So...... any thing I should be doing now before the testing????:)

Hi Nathalie,

I have severe Iron deficiency anemia. It was discovered in 2001 when I had my gallbladder out and I've been on ferrous sulfate 325 mg twice a day since then. During the time since then, my iron levels have waxed and waned but never reached normal.

I was banded 5 months ago today and my levels are now so low I am beginning intravenous infusions on Sept. 8. I will have one infusion a week for 8 weeks and then see where my levels are and go from there.

I am surprised your MD only told you to take one pill a day. The normal dose is at least two times a day. The reason you take it with Vitamin C is to promote absorption of the iron. It's VERY important to NOT take the iron within an hour or two of taking Calcium foods because calcium reduces the absorption of iron.

I knowthis is very discouraging for you but you seem to already be looking on the bright side. Two months from now you're iron levels will be nice and high.

Tantrums are allowed. I agree with maude...find the Protein that you like and the exercises you like. Starting the habits early will make it easier when you are finally in bandland. Keep smiling, the time will pass before you know it. How about a hug. :)

yes, practicing habits will help.

i had to wait on a lot of pre-op testing, and each delay felt like such a blow. i managed to take it all very, very personally. :) but, i decided to use that time to not exactly diet, per se, but to start eating like i already had the band. started using small plates, small forks and spoons, and chewingchewingchewing all of my food like 50 times. i figured that if i could get into that habit *before* i was dealing with the changes that the band was going to introduce to my life whenever i did manage to get it would ultimately be easier and more lasting. it also, in a twisted sort of way, made me feel like i was more actively involved in the process of waiting, as i was now 'practicing'.

i'm thinking it helped. if nothing else, it passed the time and allowed me to think positively about the band instead of dwelling on all the delay.

This is a great attitude to take pre-band!! It's getting the mind to work with the band that's really the hardest part. If you can conquer that early on, half the battle is won! Good for you!!

my daughter had back surgery and the doc told me prior to surgery to cook all her food in Iron frying pans (to get the iron) worked like a charm...just a suggestion..good luck..and its better to be totally healthy than not.