Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing or have experienced what I am going through. I recently just had my surgery about 5 days ago and everyone that had it around me was able to drink and eat those frozen popsicles but I had a very hard time. I could only finish like 1/4 of the frozen popsicle and maybe 1/4c of liquid. I take 3 sips of Gatorade and it feels as if I can't get any more down inside of me. I have a lot of gas so I am using the gas ex strips, but something doesn't seem right. I am very weak and tired and don't know if this is just stress on my body or should I go and get something looked at? Am I freaking out over nothing? Any advise would be much appreciated!

If it is just restriction and you have no excessive pain, or throwing up or such and no fever, just be very gentle, and get a cup to keep your popscicle in (lol) and gnosh slowly, but persistetly - keep hydrated and it should smooth out. You are probably pretty swollen inside.

Hav eyou tried clear, warm broth to see if you sleeve might prefer that instead?

Pookeyism is absolutely right! your stomach is very swollen right now and it is extremely important to sip, sip, sip, and to slowly gnosh on your popsickles. It will take time, but it will get easier with time. Your full time job is to keep yourself hydrated. :)

I couldn't do popsicles at all but ice chips in the hospital were my best friend. I'm not sure how old you are but I do think when you are older it just simply takes longer to recuperate from surgery than when you are younger. I set up a timing system for myself with my drinks - every 5 minutes I would take a sip, in the first week and a half those sips were very very small - now at almost 4 weeks those sips have turned into a good size swallow. I'm curious - did you have hernia repair too? It seems that people with hernia repair take a little longer to be able to have a decent swallow.

@ Karen. I am 30 years old but I had the lap band back in 2009 but due to Migraine complications and passing out at work, my lap band was removed. This could have caused the complications I'm sure, but I was just a little worried. I had my surgery in Mexico and everyone around me was drinking little bottles of Water and eating popsicles while I was only able to just sip. I've felt very weak and shaky and was getting scared. I did find out, thanks to the other posters, that the hot broth helps it go down. I still have to take small small sips, but I am not as shaky anymore. Congrats on the 60 pounds though! Keep it up!

That was going to be my suggestion. It took a couple weeks till I could drink something cold. Warm or room temp Water, broth, and crystal light. It doesn't hit your empty stomach as hard. In a few weeks you'll remember how you felt while you're taking a good swig

Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing or have experienced what I am going through. I recently just had my surgery about 5 days ago and everyone that had it around me was able to drink and eat those frozen popsicles but I had a very hard time. I could only finish like 1/4 of the frozen popsicle and maybe 1/4c of liquid. I take 3 sips of Gatorade and it feels as if I can't get any more down inside of me. I have a lot of gas so I am using the gas ex strips, but something doesn't seem right. I am very weak and tired and don't know if this is just stress on my body or should I go and get something looked at? Am I freaking out over nothing? Any advise would be much appreciated!

I walked around plus the gast strips helped me pass the gas. I sipped in very small sips. Hard to explain but if you put the liquid to your mouth and almost suck/inhale a small amount that passes your lips, its almost like a tiny sip. That helped me. I found that when I sipped too big, Beyonce (my sleeve) did not like it and I have a little uncomfortable pain going down. Just rest as much as you can and focus getting the fluids down. Gatorade and broth may help as they have a little sodium which may perk you up a bit.

Good luck :wub:

I hope this is good news for Want2bSkinny: Since having my sleeve on October 4, 2011, my Migraines have stopped, none, nada. I am so happy and relieved. :) Hopefully this will happen for you also. :)

@Skane~ girl it hurts to laugh. You named your sleeve Beyonce?!! LMAO, in my mind. Mine sounds like the Wookie from Star Wars.

I am agreeing w the trend here, tiny sips, tiny sips. My VSG was Monday. I personally prefer cold liquids, but my sleeve seems to prefer warm.

@Skane~ girl it hurts to laugh. You named your sleeve Beyonce?!! LMAO, in my mind. Mine sounds like the Wookie from Star Wars. I am agreeing w the trend here, tiny sips, tiny sips. My VSG was Monday. I personally prefer cold liquids, but my sleeve seems to prefer warm.

Janedeaux, you can name yours Sasha. I think that is Beyonce's alter ego. Beyonce is going to help me bring my sexy back. I have felt like a frumpy,middle aged, overweight woman the last 10 years.

I too preferred cold liquids but my sleeve did not!!! I found herbal tea was a lifesaver...and it does get better...now I am almost 4 months out and have had no problem with cold beverages!!! It will come I promise

Janedeaux, you can name yours Sasha. I think that is Beyonce's alter ego. Beyonce is going to help me bring my sexy back. I have felt like a frumpy,middle aged, overweight woman the last 10 years.

Lol...Sasha Fierce. It's time to bring our sexy back!!! Thanks girl! I needed a smile today!!!

I too preferred cold liquids but my sleeve did not!!! I found herbal tea was a lifesaver...and it does get better...now I am almost 4 months out and have had no problem with cold beverages!!! It will come I promise

Oh thanks, soooo glad to hear that! I have been getting along well with some herbal teas the last two days. Just seems to sit well, no weird burps, hiccups or waves with the peppermint tea.

Jane

Slightly different topic. Has anyone had post op headaches? I have had one since the day after surgery and can't get rid of it. My pain meds don't touch it. I'm hydrading so not sure what it is.

I had a headache for a few days. The more liquid i ingested, the better it got.

That is good to know. I went to bed with a headache but it seems to be gone this morning.