Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, after 6 months of waiting and anticipation I finally got sleeved on Monday 6/25!

I was discharged from the hospital yesterday....Pain has been managable but the 1 thing I'm having some trouble with is knowing when I've had enough to drink. I try to drink as instructed but I don't have a sense of fullness, or hunger for that matter, at all. Could anyone tell me how they knew when they have reached fullness, especially since I'm restricted to Clear Liquids.< /p>

Are you using a med cup to sip? If so you can test. I normally take 3 sips out of a med cup. After my third cup in a row, on my 4th one, i feel a little discomfort. Meaning going on 4 consecutive ounces I feel a slight discomfort. This means I have to sip & pour continually 4 ounces though.

If you are just sipping with little breaks you aren't really going to feel "full" remember your sleeve is truly so swollen inside and outside but liquid in liquid out, and it slides through.

If you feel grumbling (to me it's a tightening, or a wave, or a turn/flip in your stomach, it could be acid, it could be fullness, it could be gas, it could be just healing pains, it could be hunger. At first there is no real "definition" of what these pains are.

It's up to you on how you interpret these signals. I made a conscience choice when I first felt them to realize, that it's my stomach healing, gas, acid etc. If I'm sipping or drinking my shake and I feel it, I know it's full. If I haven't had anything to eat or drink, then I drink.

If you want to look at it that each pain or rumbling you have is hunger, then you will be like others that constantly complain of head hunger.

In the end the sleeve is a tool, it's how you perceive things and how you look at it, that will help you through this process.

Are you using a med cup to sip? If so you can test. I normally take 3 sips out of a med cup. After my third cup in a row' date=' on my 4th one, i feel a little discomfort. Meaning going on 4 consecutive ounces I feel a slight discomfort. This means I have to sip & pour continually 4 ounces though.

If you are just sipping with little breaks you aren't really going to feel "full" remember your sleeve is truly so swollen inside and outside but liquid in liquid out, and it slides through.

If you feel grumbling (to me it's a tightening, or a wave, or a turn/flip in your stomach, it could be acid, it could be fullness, it could be gas, it could be just healing pains, it could be hunger. At first there is no real "definition" of what these pains are.

It's up to you on how you interpret these signals. I made a conscience choice when I first felt them to realize, that it's my stomach healing, gas, acid etc. If I'm sipping or drinking my shake and I feel it, I know it's full. If I haven't had anything to eat or drink, then I drink.

If you want to look at it that each pain or rumbling you have is hunger, then you will be like others that constantly complain of head hunger.

In the end the sleeve is a tool, it's how you perceive things and how you look at it, that will help you through this process.[/quote']

Good advice Mina, Thanks!

~SMP - I'm post op day two as well and my new tummy grumbles, gurgles and kinda sounds like Chewbaka actually. I feel the "waves" that Mina described too. I am using medicine cups and I have to sip very slowly. I am drinking two med cups, two ounces, at a time and I feel comfortable. I haven't felt what I would have normally described as full and I don't want to push it. I personally like to drink cold things, but my dr served me warm strained chicken noodle Soup yesterday. It felt so good, I had easily taken in approx 3 oz before I chose to stop. Trying to take my time, let the swelling dissipate and get to know the new me. Best wishes to you

Jane very good I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well. I know it comes off as I am preaching, but I've been there and done it and spent so much time seeing what works for others and also seeing those that have had a lot of issues and nothing seems to work for them, and you can see why it doesn't work, once you have been in their shoes.

Try staying positive and know that every day gets better, and you are going to have ups and downs in your day. I'm glad you are enjoying the cold fluids, I wanted some at first but they were hard on me. The way I was able to get used to cold, was letting my peppermint decaff tea go cold, it allowed me to be able to eventually handle cold fluids.

I still hate drinking out a Water bottle 3 weeks later because I pull too much air in. I am now trying to use regular glasses to drink, to try to get used to not depending on the med cups, but everything goes down better in the med cup lol.

Everything is fine with me, I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I feel great and just returned from a 1.3 mile walk. I was just curious about how much liquid people are comfortably tolerating, so I can sort of see where I might fit. Thanks for the advice

Oooh no SMP, no wrong impression. I just haven't pushed much to find out total volume yet. Being a little timid w my new tummy. I want to avoid nausea at all cost. I am a nausea whimp, don't do well with it at all and I don't want to find out now! ;)

Wow a mile and a half! That's impressive. I'm tired thinking about it. I walk around in my house and do my foot and ankle exercises. I don't feel that strong yet, probably not enough calories on board. But everything else is working fine. So happy that we seem to be doing fairly well. Keep me updated w your progress, it's interesting that we are on the same time line.

Jane

Will do Jane :)

Please add me to your friends list

Post op I would just sip Ice Water every few minutes, Water usually goes right through the sleeve because of its shape and since you cannot take gulps you probably won't feel full so you can sip probably all day but not when you start eating, the food will restrict your liquid intake. I was able to eat right out of the hospital but only two small bites at a time, but I was able to sip on water all day.

Best Wishes!! :D

I just came home from being sleved on Minday also. I kniw this sounds crazy but i forget to drink. Just not hungry or thirsty. Im in so much pain I can barely move. When im moving from say the rcliner to the kitchen the pain is not tolerable. Im normally have a high pain tolerance. Hate feeling thus way. I dont have sugar free Fruit drinks here. Would that count as my Water?

I just drank as I was told 30 ml every 15 min. I saw my Dr 2 days ago and he saidI dont have to do that anymore. Just take a few sips at a time. Im not muchof a drinker anyway and dont feel the need to gulp. I have my Water in a marked container so I know how much I have drank and how much more I need to. My prpblem is before surgery I could go all day without drinking.

I'm 4 days out now and drinking has been much easier. I sip Water or Isopure at about 4 oz. at a time which satisfies me. Pain has been really minimal and it gets better every day. I hope for looking ahead that the pain slows down and allows you to get around better. sugar free drinks count in your totals, yes.

I'm 4 days out now and drinking has been much easier. I sip Water or Isopure at about 4 oz. at a time which satisfies me. Pain has been really minimal and it gets better every day. I hope for looking ahead that the pain slows down and allows you to get around better. sugar free drinks count in your totals, yes.

Today has been a realy challenge mentally and physically. Im basically doing this alone. My mom stopped by twice to see if I needed anything. Other than that, its all me. I had a mental breakdown earlier today. I'm trying to stay on the pain meds every two hours instead of 4 by cutting them in half and took a xanax earlier. That seemed to calm me down. im hopeful tomorrow will be better. This is certainly not for the faint at heart. I thought I was ready both mentally and physically, but there is really no way to prepare yourself for such trama.

Thank you for all your prayers and support. This group IS getting me through this. I don't know what Id do without it. I have ahigh pain tolerance usually and feel like a whimp. Checking in when I can and often. Love and hugs to everyone holding my hand !

What is a med cup? My date is Monday- do I need one?

Friday and seeing a glimpse of hope. Today I woke up not in not as much pain. Still walking bent over but I think it is the weight of my stomach pulling on the drain incision. When I lift it up light to me, the pain is ok. Im still taking the pain medicine every two hours and actually fixed my hair this morning. I had about 3 tsp of DQ gravy lasy night. Thats the only thing that sounded good since I've been home. It filled me up. Today, I got what was left out of the fridge and going to try a few tsps for Breakfast. I thought I knew what I could eat during this cream stage, but Im at a loss. Suggestions please. I was supposed to go back to work next week, but I think I'll take off Monday and Tuesday, 4th holiday and go Thursday and Friday half days. Then full time the next Monday. I am finally back down to my weight of when I went into the hospital on Monday morning. That was a damper to come home with 9 extra pounds ! No matter why they are there. I hope it starts coming off soon. Thanks for the encourangment and talk to you later today. :)