Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eroded Band To Vsg?

Would love to here from any former banders that had an erosion from the band and whether you have had any leaks or other complications since your VSG. Thanks in advance!

I had a badly eroded band,90% of the band was inside my stomach. I had to wait 6 months before I could have vsg surgery after the band was removed. The risk of complications are much higher after an erosion.I did have a leak after my revision. That doesnt mean you will.I would do it again in an instance to get the same results. 70 lbs in 6 months. Good luck to you!

Donnie

Thanks donnieJ. Did they have to reoperate to manage the leak or to stent it? It's great to hear that you would do it again despite the leak.

I had a ng tube and drain, the leak fixed itself. It was a very hard time during the leak, but its beggining to pay off!!!

donniej,,, Hello I just got back from trying to have a revision but I also had erosion. My erosion did not go into my stomach, I guess I compared to you am very lucky. Leakage is now my biggest nightmare, my Dr said I would have to wait 6months for my sleeve. What do you think your leak was related to, the severity of your erosion?. And also how soon after your sleeve did you have the leak?. One more question do you know how long after surgery we have to worry about this kind of thing happening?...

Thanks Debbie

Debbie...heart goes out to you. I had the same thing happen. Dr. Aceves, my surgeon, says the likelihood of a leak is as high s 30% but that I could minimize it with a bypass instead. I have no interest ina bypass so trying to prepare for a worst case leak scenario.

Silviamom...When did you have your band removed? I have heard the 30% chance of leakage is when you have the revision, but if you wait 6 months and everything is healed the chance of leakage goes way down. I also don't have any interest in bypass, to many risks for me. when do you plan on having your sleeve? mine will be around Xmas or right after the first of the year.

Deb- I am also looking right before Christmas. My surgeon is Dr. Aceves. Who is yours? I can't wait for the surgery but want to do everything possible to minimize the risks of a leak...so I wait too. Many people who had a leak on this forum report they would still do the surgery even with a leak...so I put the risk of a leak in context. When I woke up afte surgery and got the bad news, I was pretty heartbroken though but am glad for the extra time to at least be lap band free. The band was pretty horrible and I am actually able to eat more healthy fibrous foods...for a change. My only fear is ballooning up while waiting for the surgery but so far (a month out) I've actually lost another two pounds. :-)

Hi SilviaMom I hate to hear that there is someone with my woes but glad to have someone to talk to all the same. Thank you for your encouraging words but this is so new to me my revision or as it was band removal happened on the 28th of June. I also was / am devastated at the out come. My surgeon is Dr Rodriquez and Dr Aramburo, they work out of TJ once a month and Juarez the rest of the month, I went to Juarez for mine, Star Medical. I also am afraid to balloon up before my sleeve. Can you tell me what is the percentage rate of leakage with a 6 month wait and having scar tissue Dr. Rod. never said it would be a problem, but that I must wait 6mo until I am completely healed. He told me that my body rejected the band from the beginning because he found a tremendous amt of inflammation, abdominal Fluid, and scar tissue. Under the band placement the tissue was mushy. The staples would not have held but pulled away. He said I was very lucky to have come in when I did. I also hated the band but would never have admitted it because it was at least controlling my amounts until it failed 1 yr ago, then I put back all the weight I had lost when I had no resistance. losing the resistance and being able to eat eat eat made me ravenous at times. I to have lost about 5lbs since the 28th and hopefully can continue to at least maintain until the sleeve can be done.

I've heard great things about Dr. Rod so it sounds like you are in good hands. Dr. Aceves told me the risk for leaks after an erosion is about 30% but improves significantly by waiting 6 months. I am not sure what "a lot" means but trust that Dr Aceves wouldn't do the surgery unless he could do so with confidence. I think the key is having an experienced surgeon and following all the post op rules to the T and we can mitigate risk but the risk will always be higher for us then other revisions and certainly higher then virgin sleeves.

My band was removed in early June.

hey sylviamom its good to see you here too. i have gained since i had my band removed but i am not giving up hope i have to wait the 6 mos as well because there are other compllications from the first surgeons incompetence. so i keep exercising doing what i can food wise it is depressing.

I had band removed june 15, due to complications dr said he removed scar tissue and I'm scheduled for sleeve aug 28. I'm scared with possibility of leakage will have to talk to dr on thurs. When my husband had his removed last week behind port was a high hernia that had to be repaired. Scarey

Have no fear, leaks are repairable! If anything seems wrong though stay persistent and drink those fluids for a ct scan! My dr put a stent in Friday and I scared myself something HORRIBLE after reading the forums about people with them. It's not that bad. It's uncomfortable but not unbearable and gets better every day (: I'm also blessed to have the dr I do who listens wonderfully and is tremendously supportive and genuinely cares!!!

Thanks Rawwwr! Good to put it in perspective.