Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gum And Natural/whole Foods

At my last class, they told me I can never chew gum agian, because if I swallowed it, it could cause major damage. I'm wondering if she meant that for the bypass people in our group, or does it apply to sleeves as well?

Also, I really prefer natural, less processed foods. A lost of recipes I see seem to be based on a lot of commercial and processed foods. Will I be able to eat a mostly vegetable and whole grain diet again?

You guys are my lifeline at this point, as I just wait out these last steps. Thanks.

I would find it impossible to eat a mostly vegetable and whole grain diet and still get in the 60 grams of Protein. At nutrition class, I was told, "protein first, then vegetables, then carbs."

I would find it impossible to eat a mostly vegetable and whole grain diet and still get in the 60 grams of Protein. At nutrition class, I was told, "protein first, then vegetables, then carbs."

I should clarify that I would still eat plenty of eggs, fish, poultry, soy products and Beans. I just don't want to have to eat all processed, commercial "diet" food.< /p>

Oh no! I love gum!

I am still a few months out and have been looking at this too. I have always wanted to "eat clean" but was never satisfied. I want to make it my lifestyle after the sleeve. If you already eat this way, I would look to see how much of "what" you need to eat daily to meet your Protein needs. If you can reach your protein needs with the right amount of beans/fish/chicken etc then you are fine (i think! I hope!) I HATE Protein Shakes EXCEPT about time. www.tryabouttime.com Check them out. I contacted them for a sample of their super fruits antioxidant drink powder. I think it has 33g of protein in a scoop. If it taste as good as the other stuff i tried from them i will be set. I am looking at recipes for homemade Soups that I can up the protein in, measuring portions now so I can see what the protein content is in certain foods and writing it down. SOmeone suggested adding white Beans to your smoothies to up the protein. I would love to see a thread started on clean eating suggestions after the sleeve. (maybe i should do it. or wait, maybe there is one)

I am 10 days post op and struggling with the SF, FF chemical tasting foods! I am on full liquids and had to make my own cream Soup today because the idea of another can of something was making me gag.

I know this can be done without eating processed junk!

The higher quality food, the better. In the beginning, when on clear and full liquids, you may have to supplement with a clear Protein Drink like Isopure, but once on solid food it should be no problem.

Gum can get stuck in the stoma for gastric bypass patients but we have our normal pylorus which does not get stopped up. I enjoy SF gum, but wouldn't think of swallowing it anymore, as our stomachs are so small, no need to challenge our digestion.

I'm glad you said that Katie, as it makes sense. We have normal sphincters in our stomach that are fully functional. Once things calm down after surgery, our stomachs will hold 4-6 oz. doesn't seem like gum would cause a problem! Even so, I don't plan to tempt fate. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches