Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gum And Natural/whole Foods

At my last class, they told me I can never chew gum agian, because if I swallowed it, it could cause major damage. I'm wondering if she meant that for the bypass people in our group, or does it apply to sleeves as well?

Also, I really prefer natural, less processed foods. A lost of recipes I see seem to be based on a lot of commercial and processed foods. Will I be able to eat a mostly vegetable and whole grain diet again?

You guys are my lifeline at this point, as I just wait out these last steps. Thanks.

I would find it impossible to eat a mostly vegetable and whole grain diet and still get in the 60 grams of Protein. At nutrition class, I was told, "protein first, then vegetables, then carbs."

I would find it impossible to eat a mostly vegetable and whole grain diet and still get in the 60 grams of Protein. At nutrition class, I was told, "protein first, then vegetables, then carbs."

I should clarify that I would still eat plenty of eggs, fish, poultry, soy products and Beans. I just don't want to have to eat all processed, commercial "diet" food.< /p>

Oh no! I love gum!

I am still a few months out and have been looking at this too. I have always wanted to "eat clean" but was never satisfied. I want to make it my lifestyle after the sleeve. If you already eat this way, I would look to see how much of "what" you need to eat daily to meet your Protein needs. If you can reach your protein needs with the right amount of beans/fish/chicken etc then you are fine (i think! I hope!) I HATE Protein Shakes EXCEPT about time. www.tryabouttime.com Check them out. I contacted them for a sample of their super fruits antioxidant drink powder. I think it has 33g of protein in a scoop. If it taste as good as the other stuff i tried from them i will be set. I am looking at recipes for homemade Soups that I can up the protein in, measuring portions now so I can see what the protein content is in certain foods and writing it down. SOmeone suggested adding white Beans to your smoothies to up the protein. I would love to see a thread started on clean eating suggestions after the sleeve. (maybe i should do it. or wait, maybe there is one)

I am 10 days post op and struggling with the SF, FF chemical tasting foods! I am on full liquids and had to make my own cream Soup today because the idea of another can of something was making me gag.

I know this can be done without eating processed junk!

The higher quality food, the better. In the beginning, when on clear and full liquids, you may have to supplement with a clear Protein Drink like Isopure, but once on solid food it should be no problem.

Gum can get stuck in the stoma for gastric bypass patients but we have our normal pylorus which does not get stopped up. I enjoy SF gum, but wouldn't think of swallowing it anymore, as our stomachs are so small, no need to challenge our digestion.

I'm glad you said that Katie, as it makes sense. We have normal sphincters in our stomach that are fully functional. Once things calm down after surgery, our stomachs will hold 4-6 oz. doesn't seem like gum would cause a problem! Even so, I don't plan to tempt fate. :)