Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical Id Bracelet - Great Idea

Hi Webchickadee, with the USB Bracelet you can put all that stuff on there and the emergency personnel don't have to call a 1-800 number for the info, it all shows up on their computer. Plus you don't have a yearly charge! They charge you to use their 1-800 help line. It's not free. But you have posted some good info. grandma64

Great idea for ANYONE with or without WLS or any health issues, just having the contact info handy can make a difference in an emergency.

one the subject about NSAID'd I too take them, baby aspirin and naproxin. I think they're OK if you take a COATED version that should pass THROUGH the stomach / sleeve and it should not cause any issues. But listen to your doc and take their advice.

Hi Webchickadee, with the USB Bracelet you can put all that stuff on there and the emergency personnel don't have to call a 1-800 number for the info, it all shows up on their computer. Plus you don't have a yearly charge! They charge you to use their 1-800 help line. It's not free. But you have posted some good info. grandma64

I've seen some of the USB ones too. I kind of worry with that or even with the Road ID subscription if EMS would really take the time to call a number or plug it into the computer before starting to help someone. I think those things are good for information after the fact, like on the way to the hospital or something, but I'm not sure it would help right away. Of course, I'm sure EMS personnel are trained to look for that and call or plug it in, but I wonder how much that would matter in an extreme critical situation. Personally I like that they can have the info they need right on hand as soon as they look at my bracelet. However, I think whatever someone uses is great as long as it's something instead of nothing. :-)

I too doubt that any EMT or Dr would plug the thing in. I would think that they would be more for you to carry the information for YOURSELF for reference, then again finding someone willing to allow you to plug in an unknown USB drive into their computer might be a challenge.

NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - like ibuprofen. Some surgeons say we aren't supposed to have them after surgery because they can cause issues in the stomach.

An NG tube is a nasogastric tube that goes through the nose into the stomach - basically a feeding tube. A "blind" one is one that is put in without them looking at all at what they're doing really' date=' and this can cause an issue for our smaller stomachs because it can cause a problem in the stomach lining/staple line and could potentially puncture the stomach if they shove it in too far or too fast. It was actually on my discharge papers from the hospital as something to make sure is NEVER done after sleeve surgery.Therefore, it is something that would be important to be on a medic alert bracelet.[/quote']

Thank you for this info. I will be sleeved on July 9th and this is god info to know. I will be sure to inform my husband and children about this!!

I so totally don't want to incite a debate about medic alert bracelets. Completely not my intention.

A good friend of mine is an ER physician. We've talked about this topic, and here's a summary of her conclusions:

• Medic alert bracelets are rarely checked - by the physicians anyway. It's possible that medics/EMT or nurses check them, but never guaranteed. She has never looked for a medic alert Bracelet prior to placing an NG tube.
  • Medic alert bracelets, if useful, are most useful in trauma/emergency type situations (if you're at a scheduled visit, you'll be able to tell them of your needs). In a trauma situation, NG tubes are virtually always done "blind".
  • The greatest risk from an NG tube is not impacted by the size of the stomach (or pouch, or whatever). It comes from the condition of the esophagus.
  • An NG tube, regardless of how it's inserted, is virtually never going to cause damage on its own. E.g. it's much more likely to coil up than puncture something.

That being said, if you like medic alert bracelets, get one, It isn't going to hurt anything. :)

As an EMS worker and speaking only for my county, the USB Bracelet idea is great but probably won't work. Our laptops won't accept info except from our server. Also, if you're so sick that you can't speak to us there's a good chance we won't even glance at our laptop until we've dropped you off at the ER. I won't lie, sometimes we don't even have time to look for a medical ID of any source. Which sucks knowing that since I now wear one because of my surgery. When I go back to work I'm going to spread the word about the importance of medical bracelets. . (sorry for the crappt news)

I just ordered mine from laurenshope.com. It has my name, ice phone #, hypothyroid/VSG wls, no NG tube/NSAIDs on it. I think they had very pretty ones, as well as everyday ones. And I like how you can order just the Bracelet so you can change it up.

I asked my doctor about this. She said I didn't need one since the tube would fit in our stomachs. Just FYI.