Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Bmi Success Story (So Far!) 3 Months Out

I'll start with the details. I'm 39 years old, 5'10" and weighed 211 pounds in March of this year. I know that many of you out there are struggling with BMI's much higher than mine, and I feel for you. But I had this surgery for another reason: I was diagnosed 3 years ago as Type 2 Diabetic, and within those 3 years, had already progressed to 100 units of insulin per day (2 injections). I was on the express lanes to an early death, and even my endocrinologist was shocked at how quickly I was progressing.

I saw information about the surgery on TV, read about in the newspaper, and was told about it all within 2 weeks in early January of this year. I decided to do some research on my own. I researched non-stop for about 2 weeks about the effect that VSG has had on diabetes, and the fight underway to get it approved for patients with a lower BMI suffering from diabetes. And suffering. Boy, was I ever. Mood swings, tired, grouchy, even the insulin wasn't controlling my extreme swings. And on top of all that- I was heavier than ever, and unable to lose the weight because of the 14 different medications I was on (for everything from Diabetes to High blood pressure, cholesterol, HDL...you name it.)

I got my husband on board by sharing the research I had done, and I spoke to my parents about it. My dad was skeptical (to say the least). He thought this was the "easy way out" and thought I should be able to lose the weight on my own (despite the fact that I hadn't been able to do so over the previous 12 years). We all went to a seminar at Dr. Billings office with a couple other families. My dad expressed his concern there, and Dr. Billings explained that this would be a total change in the way I ate and lived my life. Did that sound easy to him? ( I mentally fist bumped him at that point....and knew he was the surgeon for me!).

My husband's Union Insurance (Carpenter's Trust of Western Washington) would not cover the surgery since my BMI was so low, but we decided that I needed to go ahead anyway. I am very blessed to have a job that pays an annual bonus that coincided nicely with this process. I called the Puget Sound Surgical Center Office and started the process in early February, I had an appointment a week for that whole month (psychological, nutrition, intake, surgical consult). I had everything completed by early March, and asked for a surgery date by the end of the month, since i had to travel for work in late April and wanted to be on a somewhat 'close' to normal eating plan by that time.

There was a 2 week wait for all the reports to come back, and on March 14th I got the call that I could schedule the surgery for the 26th if I wanted to. (LESS than 2 weeks away!!!) I schedule a nutrition consult right away to do the pre-op low carb diet (no liquid diet for me!) and we were full steam ahead. I was wrapping things up at work, planning a trip to another state for 3 days for work and prepping for a 3-week leave of absence. It was a busy 10 days!!!

On March 26th I had my surgery, and it went extremely smoothly. Nothing extraordinary happened...I mean beyond the fact that I think it saved my life!

Since that day I have not taken ANY medications (vitamins and supplements YES, but not medications!). No insulin, nothing. My endocrinologist "broke up with me" on 5/8/12, since my diabetes was effectively "CURED." He didn't really know what to say, since admittedly, he said it's never happened to him before.

I did talk to him prior to surgery and he was hesitant to reccomend it based on the lasck of long term data to support successful outcomes. I took his opinion into consideration, but decided it was still the right thing for me. I did talk to my PCP about it before the surgery so that she would be aware. I told her the insurance wouldn't cover it though, and to please not note it in my chart. She was fine with that, and ran lots of tests for me under codes that would be covered.

I have lost 40 pounds....and am the woman my husband married 12 years ago. I have energy, vitality, wellness and peace. I know I'm going to be around for my family and live a long and happy life. I am still in the losing phase, and find that I stall about every 2-3 weeks for about a week. It's going really well though, and I am loving my new life! if you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'm happy to answer about my experience.

Congratulations on your surgery. I live in the Renton area & have decided on Swedish Hospital (Dr.McMahon) to do my weight loss surgery (RNY). I'm scheduled for surgery on August 14th., 2012 & looking forward to it. Meet with the doctor & his team on Aug. 1st. for my pre-surgery counseling & such.

Anyway, welcome to the site & keep us posted as to your progress.

that is wonderful...congrats!

Awesome!! I know Dr Billings - I live in Lynnwood and went to the seminar he gives. In the end I went with Dr Chebli due to insurance coverage and the fact that I really liked his no nonsence approach and stats. I think this surgery is certainly a lifesaver for many of us. Congrats to you for doing so well!

Thanks for posting and congrats on regaining your health. I have a lower BMI aswell, so I'm truly inspired.

Congratulations. although I was not diabetic, I am now off my meds as well. Isn't the sleeve great?

Congratulations on your success. I was sleeved by Dr. Billing on May 3. Love him! It was a good experience all around for me -- no complications. I did really well on the low carb pre-op diet. To date including pre-op I've lost 40 pounds and have the same great energy and wellness you describe. I have quite a bit more to lose since I'm 5'3" and started with a BMI over 40, but I'm following the nutrition plan, exercising, and working the program well. Who is your NUT at Pacific Wellness? I have Barb and really like her. I'm really happy for you and it's good to hear of a success from Dr. Billing.

Wonderful! So happy for you! I'm also really impressed with the thoughtful way you went about making your decision to undergo surgery, but am surprised that your endocrinologist didn't have any other patients who underwent WLS that cured diabetes. I do hope that this make him more willing to recommend, or at least mention, the surgery to other patients. As you said, it could save their lives.

Great! I had a similar story. No diabetic meds once I left the hospital. I thank God every day for my decision to have the sleeve and 64 lbs later I am energetic & healthy.

What a wonderful story :) Hello fellow Washington sleevers! I have a pal who is going to the puget sound center next week to get started and I had my VSG on May 21st with Ross McMahon and am doing well - my husband had one as well 2 weeks before me and he is doing just phenomenally.

thanks for sharing your great story of improved health and vitality!

What a wonderful story :) Hello fellow Washington sleevers! I have a pal who is going to the puget sound center next week to get started and I had my VSG on May 21st with Ross McMahon and am doing well - my husband had one as well 2 weeks before me and he is doing just phenomenally.

thanks for sharing your great story of improved health and vitality!

What did you think of Dr. McMahon and his team? I'm meeting with them Aug. 1st. to initiate surgery orders & see the nutritionist. Scheduled for surgery Aug. 14th.

My husband and I are very happy with the gang at Swedish - they are a great group of folks. If you ever go to the saturday support group meetings (2nd saturday of the month) maybe I will see you there :)

Hello!! i was considered a lightweight for surgery too and was diagnosed as diabetic last summer! I did this mainly to help with my diabetes as I was scared out of my mind to have it in my mid 30's! My diabetes has been wonderful since surgery and I am so happy that it is working for you too! The sleeve really can change lives!

WOW, i feel like I was lead to your post! I am very similar to you, I have type 2, just was put on an insulin pump last week, I take about 7 different meds for Gerd, high cholesterol, sleep, diabetes, blood pressure etc....I recently started looking into weight loss options, I was leaning towards lapband, but the sleeve seems very intriguing to me. I too am on the low side having a BMI of only 32, I have been on and off insulin the past 10 years, every time I have to go back, the weight comes pouring on. I'm sure with the pump the same or worse will happen...I really can't afford the surgery on my own, but I'm so over all this I'm only 44 and want to be healthy! Sick of the shots, the pills, the back pain, all of it! I did call Dr. Curry's office here in Ohio yesterday and spoke with someone who was very informative, I guess I have to start saving money or hope I can gain 17lbs so the insurance will cover it (crazy I know), you would think the insurance companies would wake up and see that all the money they are putting out for meds, is crazy in comparison to surgery!

Please keep us posted, you are truly an inspiration!

Ren

Congrats on reversing your diabetes. My surgeon felt my pre-diabetes dx would reverse. My hemoglobin A1C was 6.3 and my doc was playing around with the idea of starting me on metformin. But since having the surgery and dropping 60# since April 3rd, my A1C is 5.5 which is normal and I thank God everyday that I was approved to get it done. It truly is life saving! Congrats again!