Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Almanza was highly recommended by a friend of mine. She along with 4 coworkers went to him, all with positive results. I guess the idea about a strip mall type of facility can be somewhat nerve wrecking when making such a huge decision. I can say that all of the individuals that went with him were Registered Nurses employed at a major hospital. They spoke highly of the condition of the clinic. They said it was extremely clean and had all of the proper equipment one would expect. Nothing fancy, but definitely efficient. They also spoke highly of the staff and from what I've researched most all of his patients have felt the same way. Any surgery comes with risk and individuals with other complications and higher BMI's are at the greatest risk for complications. I can tell you that my friend had hers performed by Dr Almanza and at the same time her coworker had one performed by a surgeon in the US. Well my friend who works in the school system was back to work in two days upon returning back to the states whereas her coworker suffered complications and was out the entire school year having to undergo surgery twice more due to complications. I guess you just never know.

sorry. clicked on wrong post lol

Hello fellow Marylander! I too am considering Almanza. I hope all goes well for you. I would be very interested in your experience. Trying to avoid the negative forums so talking to someone before and after their trip would help greatly.

Good luck!!!!

Hi StillLooking,

I am happy to share my experience with you. I have read tons of great reviews from people who went to Dr. Almanza, so I feel totally comfortable with him. And yes, avoid the negative. It won't help your life in any way.

Hi StillLooking' date='

I am happy to share my experience with you. I have read tons of great reviews from people who went to Dr. Almanza, so I feel totally comfortable with him. And yes, avoid the negative. It won't help your life in any way.[/quote']

I too am having surgery on Monday. I'm starting clear diet today. I'm more nervous about this than surgery on monday. I am currently working fir a gastric bypass unit, So far only lap band and gbs have come back with complications. I asked the pt liaison and she seems competent in answering my questions. I'm not worried about the doctor. I plan to stay at the hotel to recover. I would rather be alone when I'm in pain. A friend of mine recommended to bring a bottle for lortab elixir or pain. They give toradol for pain and ambien for sleep. I feel like im prepared for surgery and post op care. As for safety at Mexico. I will try to staff only at the hotel grounds. I've also hired an English speaking caregiver that lives there that has been working for my family, as a companion and guide. So I know what places I can go or couldn't go. Wish me luck !!!

im considering doctor almanza for mine thanksgiving week.

Hello!!!

I am scheduled for VSG with DR ALMANZA on Monday, July 16th! Anyone else out there scheduled for the same day?

I am nervous!

Thanks, Christina

I have been taking exlax every day for 4 days, I leave tomorrow and surgery next day. Of course,not much coming out with not much going in.. but, I am just worried about the gas so i was hoping to be nice and empty lol

Wildflower try liquid citrate magnesium! Nasty tasting but if any left it will get rid of it! It's cheap too!

yeah, I have been using milk of magnesia for the first 5 days, then exlax now for 5 days, I hope im just empty lol

If you can stay at the recovery house, they will be able to better monitor your pain. Those traveling with family/friends were brought to the hotel, which is a nice place. However, when you are released from the hospital and brought to the hotel, you do not receive your pain medicine until later that evening. You are shuttled back to an additional building by the clinic, also owned by Jerusalem hospital, but very very small. You will walk up a very steep narrow flight of stairs and take a seat until they can administer your iv, pain, and nausea meds and shuttled back to the hotel. Here is a tip, ask for a sleeping pill because you may need it and take a nice long walk before you turn in for the evening.. Last night, I walked out of the hotel to the left, left at the corner and at the end of the block there is both a 7-11 and an OXXO. I bought cranberry juice which has been a saving grace bc apple is much to hard on my tummy. I diluted it in about a 3/1 ratio. When I came back to the hotel, I drank some juice and waited until 9ish to take my sleeping pill. I slept like a rock until 4 am. At 4, I woke up in a lot of pain and decided to walk a little bit, and finally gave in and took one of the tiny pain meds that the dr gives us to take home with us. I slept until the morning and I feel so much better today! This morning, I started to drink a dye (they say to drink it in 2 hrs...helps to take a drink of this and then a tiny tiny sip of juice when you are done to cleanse your pallet) and then at 9 they took us for xrays, very close. They also gave us a disgusting clean liquid to gulp down at the imaging place, while you are being xrayed. It is the absolute most disgusting thing I have ever had in my life. When you get out, there are complimentary suckers at reception, a few licks and you can rid your self of the taste. I understand that everyone's experience is different, but this is mine. I hope that it helps you a bit in your journey! I have no regrets! I go home tomorrow <3 Good luck to you all!!!

I was there last week and had the same great experiences.

My mother an I had our surgery with Almanza on March 27 th we stayed at the recovery house ... Everything was great.... Your in an out in no time... I've lost 76 pounds an sooooo happy!