Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long After Surgery Do You Need Help? P.s. Just Started Getting Nervous

My sister said she'd help me but I realized if my husband takes off the week of the surgery should she take off the week after? (She's planning a vaca. and now was going to do it the week after my surgery).

Or...do you only need someone for (GF) emergency/complications?

Are you able to get up alone, fix shakes..liquid..whatever...?

My husband works only like a 5 minute drive away- would you say that he should just be available for "in case" or should take he take off and how long?

I've been fine and today, I started getting nervous.

All of a sudden I feel a pit in my throat...

I would like to know this too...

I was sleeved May 1,2012 - I had the same feeling, I was really nervous about everything,my friend told me she would stay with me a week or so after surgery so my other half would not have to take off work - well she could not stay with me after all - I felt sooo "p" off -but only because I was scared - if it makes you feel better, plan on someone staying with you for a week or so. You should be able to do everything on your own sa far as getting out of bed, fixing your shakes, ect, BUT My sister came over and stayed during the day and just her being here for me was a blessing. I was able to nap without worrying about everything. So I say YES, if you and your sister are close and get along - have her over with open arms - you will rest much better :)

Good luck and I know you will be just fine !!!

I was sleeved May 1,2012 - I had the same feeling, I was really nervous about everything,my friend told me she would stay with me a week or so after surgery so my other half would not have to take off work - well she could not stay with me after all - I felt sooo "p" off -but only because I was scared - if it makes you feel better, plan on someone staying with you for a week or so. You should be able to do everything on your own sa far as getting out of bed, fixing your shakes, ect, BUT My sister came over and stayed during the day and just her being here for me was a blessing. I was able to nap without worrying about everything. So I say YES, if you and your sister are close and get along - have her over with open arms - you will rest much better :)

Good luck and I know you will be just fine !!!

well, I'm 6 days post-op now.....I was told not to pick -up or stoop to the floor for anything, I can't hold anything that is heavier than a gallon of milk....and I'm not allowed to drive as long as I was taking the prescribed pain pills....

I live alone, but I have family who lives within 5 min of me and they stop by to check on my daily....I actually stayed with my aunt when I was released for about a day...and I've been at my home every since....

I would say you will need someone to be around you for atleast the first week....after that, as long as you have some who can call if you need something should help

My mom came down to stay with me and I would definitely say you need to have someone there for a minimum of 1 week. I am 4 days post-op and I know I couldn't do this solo. You are able to make your liquids and shakes and move about, but it's nice to have someone doing laundry for you, run to the store, take out the trash - essentially running your household while you can't. It's also nice to have someone there just in case something is needed.

It all depends. I had no problems after my surgery and was able to take care of myself.

I spent most of the day alone and that was ok with me so that I could nap when I needed it. Just a nice quiet time to rest and relax and not feel like I had to be hosting anyone.

I live alone with 2 basset hounds. My mom came down a couple days before surgery to keep my mind busy and not worrying about surgery. I had surgery on a Tuesday and was released on Thursday. My mom stayed just over a week after surgery. I was able to care for myself, but she helped with the dogs and household chores. It was nice to have her that long.

It all depends. I had no problems after my surgery and was able to take care of myself.

I would agree. I had my surgery Friday and woke up with a pain level of 2. Off pain meds the morning after. Still haven't gone to fill my pain meds at the pharmacy. I am pretty much good.

I am pre-op so don't know much in regards to this survey in particular. But I have had other laparoscopic surgery. I enjoy having someone around. Sometimes that other presence is just nice to have. I normally live alone, but I know I greatly appreciated someone else being there after surgery. Nice just to know you aren't alone. But, you also will know when you are ready not to have those people around.

For myself I anticipate needing someone because I fear having an emotional response to the surgery. Mix that with some pain meds an I may need someone to vent my worries to! :)

Thanks for all your kind replies! :)