Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey All! Im new here. This is something i've researched and thought about for a LONG time... I had my 2nd (and final) child in 2003 and was on bed rest with both kids-- gaining 100+ lbs. I've struggled so much to get it off and have about 125 to lose. ugh.

My friend had sleeve done in jan and is doing just amazing.. she has inspired me. My husband is on board

We have GoldenRule / United insurance with a high deductible (i think 6-8K) and I can afford to pay that out of pocket BUT I can't afford more than about 10K.

I'm attending a seminar tommorow so some of these questions may be answered there, but in an ideal world, i'd have surgery the last week of August. (timing for work/time off etc..)

So my questions:

1. What is the "typical" timeline if you are going US. i.e. how long typically from first consult to surgery?

2. How does that differ if you go Mexico?

My husband is pretty leary of Mexico, but it seems so much less hassle (minus the travel) and definitely less expensive. is there a tradeoff in terms of care etc? I'd have my husband travel with me. But would have to make sure he is comfortable with the process there too. Dr. Garcia is $4700 right now...

i don't want to rush the process, but I don't want to wait a year or more either.. you know?

Anyone have insight?

pros/cons over mexico vs. us?

The concern I would have about having weight loss surgery in Mexico is what happens if there's a leak or something else goes wrong. Should one return to Mexico (added costs) or just go to the closest hospital. Would any emergencies be covered under your insurance plan? Just some food for thought.

Hello!.

I am a new sleeve member - Just got sleeved last wed and I was home last night by my choice. I researched many doctors and found the dream team through Dr. Kelly. I had surgery in TJ and I went by myself without a coordinator. I was treated like a star. I was picked up from the airport by the Dr.'s Wife Cecy and met at the border by Omar the doctors right hand man. I had my surgery the same day - again my choice in order to be rested and ready to come home before fathers day. In the states this process is an in and out same day deal, I could not image not being monitored on an IV and being in the hospital. I was then taken for the swallow test and it was recorded so I could see my new tummy! Then off to the Hotel - beautiful property and taken out to lunch with the crew. I paid nothing out of pocket. I spent only $40.00 the whole time I was there, and that was mostly on tipping and broth. I also was treated to a pedicure from the Dr. Daughter in my pool side hotel room, a one hour treat. I forgot to mention that Cecy came to the hotel with a ice chest filled with Jello, gatorade and your medicine. This process was first class at $5,500 everything is included. You do not even give a cc deposit for the surgery or the hotel. They are great and I would not change a thing:) Please contact Omar for more details and you will not be sorry - PM me for more information. Texting is always best since Omar is working his tail off for the folks that are there - he speaks fluent English and can get the doctor on the line to help you with any questions you have. Tell them Selena sent you:)

Just as an FYI, the same day I was having my surgery - my best friend was told for two weeks her baby did not make it and she would have to wait for it to pass (she was 6 weeks along), she was to have a DNC the same day. She went to another US doctor and come to find out the baby was fine and heart beat was strong. She was put through torture for no reason. Medical Tourism is on the rise and it is because of the costs with the system we have in place. I am speaking from first hand experience and would never ever give a referral that I did not believe in or try myself.

Selena.. that is great! How long from when you made the initial consult were you able to have surgery? Like if i started the ball rolling now, could i have surgery in late Aug?

how long until you were moving about etc... recovery? Was it painful traveling home? (for me it would be a 4 hour flight)

I was booked within two weeks, I wanted to get it done asap. The flight was not bad, it will be better for you if you can plan on two days at the hospital and two day recovery at the hotel. I was up moving around that night but it is a change to your body so Im not going to say that I was not feeling different. I was in pain the first night as expected but it got better and better the more I walked and got the gas out. I flew into San Diego mid-week and was gone like I said by Sat at 5 pm - only because I have four kids and it is fathers day:) I can send you some pics of my hospital room and hotel room if you would like, just send me your email. I can not figure out how to attach them in here!

So from my consult to my surgery here in the States was a little over 2 months but most of that was due to the timing of all the different tests that were required. I wouldn't have done it any other way. In fact, because i'm over 50 one of the required tests was a colonoscopy which I had been avoiding for the past 4 years. I'm so thankful that I was required to get that test because they discovered 6 pre-cancerous polyps that were removed. If I hadn't been required to go through that as part of the surgery I probably would have postponed it until I got closer to 60 and according to the Gastro and My PCP - I would probably be looking at colon cancer. Truely, this surgery has saved my life!! Anyway - went in for consult on 3/27 and surgery was on 6/4.

If you are going to do it in the States with your insurance, the length of time really just depends on the hoops that you have to jump through. I started the ball rolling on actually getting this surgery about a month ago and that includes my first surgery consult, my nutritional eval and my psych eval. I will be having an EGD on Friday just to be sure that my esophagus and stomach are okay for this type of surgery. I have a great surgical team consisting of a nurse who works closely with the surgeon. She gave me her e-mail so I could e-mail her at anytime if I have any questions and said that if I feel that I just need to talk I could all and ask for her or the surgeon, no matter when or what the circumstances are.

My insurance doesn't require the 3 or 6 month diet that some do, but there is a possibility that they might ask that I do the 3 month if they get a wild hair up their butts when my insurance papers are sent in. I look at all of the stuff that they are requiring as ensuring that my body and mind are ready for such an extreme life change. The surgical team has also said that there will be appointments every couple of months and they will be able to hold me accountable if I am not losing weight or start to gain after the sleeve so that I don't fall back into bad habits.

I guess what I am saying is that I prefer to have to do all of the tests and make sure that I am really going to be okay afterwards. I also like that I live, literally, three minutes away from the hospital so if anything happens, I don't have to worry about dealing with a team that hasn't had any experience with my case. Also, my surgeon requires a minimum two night stay after the surgery to make sure that there are no leaks or problems after the surgery. I agree with Seltyl that the U.S. has a long ways to go in the field of medicine, but I don't think you can generalize that hospitals in the U.S. require outpatient for this surgery or that they are all bad. A lot of them are, but not all.

Just make sure to ask a lot of questions and learn as much as possible. You have a right to ask for or change anything that you don't feel comfortable with.

US sleeve with insurance. Started process in January & had sleeve May 22. Longer time than some due to extra tests required during process. My great friend had hers start to finish in 2 months with no extras.

I'm not opposed to Mexico, but I would do my research and have a solid plan in place for aftercare at home. Good luck no matter where you decide!