Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have regrets?

Hello,

I am being banded in 10 days and am just wondering - is there anyone here who regrets getting the band? I went to the store tonight and got all of the junk food that I love (chips, ice cream, OJ, etc) and tried to envision a life without it. How difficult is it to live like this?

Are there any things that you absolutely cannot eat? How long is it before you can eat most things in moderation i.e. ice cream? Thanks for all of your answers!

No no no no and NO!

The hardest thing pre band I found was thinking just like you are about what I had to give up. I came to the realisation though that band or no band, if I wanted to beat my weight problem I could NEVER EVER eat the way I was eating again.

But that doesnt equate to those things being out of your life forever.

What I found happened for me was that the first three months or so were quite restrictive, but they were easy because you have the motivation of a new course of action to spur you on. I lost weight very quickly during the liquid to mushy phase, and continued to lose steadily around 2lb per week for a month or two after that, through my first and second fills. By that stage, I had gone past the point of no return, I'd lost a good 15kg or so and was really feeling like a different person.

Gradually over the following months (I'm almost 9 months out now) I've settled into a longer term eating pattern and that most certainly includes all the foods I ate before, however I've been able to learn to eat them in moderation now, and even favour healthier food most of the time. Its so different when you actually get results for your hard work. I've had times where had I been on an ordinary diet I certainly would have fallen off the wagon and regained, I really think that's the band's most important benefit - anyone can diet or eat well for periods of time, its getting back on the horse when you've fallen and keeping going that's the hard part and a band just wont let you go completely nuts, it keeps those treats and/or binges (which even normal people have) under control.

And I think its important to think in terms of you are eating 'normally' now, and that sometimes you'll eat more and/or worse than at other times and as such your weight loss wont be consistent, it'll be great sometimes, slow at other times and sometimes nonexistant.

Exercise is important too and the biggest thing for me is its now not connected to eating, I go for my run regardless of whether I've been "good" or not that day.

For me, there's nothing I absolutely cannot eat and I've never thrown up either.

Hello,

I am being banded in 10 days and am just wondering - is there anyone here who regrets getting the band? I went to the store tonight and got all of the junk food that I love (chips, ice cream, OJ, etc) and tried to envision a life without it. How difficult is it to live like this?

Are there any things that you absolutely cannot eat? How long is it before you can eat most things in moderation i.e. ice cream? Thanks for all of your answers!

Hi Cassandra,

This question has been asked several times on several forums here is one of them:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22262

I know seasoned bandster, since I've only been banded for a little over 6 weeks but at this point and time I redo it in a heartbeat. I had a wonderful surgeon, wonderful aftercare and have lost 33 pounds in 6 weeks. I just wished I had of done it 2 years ago when I first thought about it. I wasn't quite heavy enough so insurance wasn't a choice but even with self pay in Monterrey, Mexico it's a decision that has truly changed my life. I wasn't down for anytime, was doing everything I use to do at 10 days, doing most everything at 4 days. I hope you have wonderful luck and you will, just use your band as a tool, not somethng to do it for you.

Banded two years and the ONLY regret I have is not doing it sooner!

Nana~

The only regret I have is not taking a "before" picture along with my measurements. I really wish I would've done this. And yeah, I echo the others, I regret not doing it sooner!

No regrets here. I'm newly banded as Sherri only I was banded at the end of May. Jacqui gives excellent advice. Good luck to you on your journey. Ask lots of questions and you'll be fine. Knowledge is power.

Hello!

I was banded 10/05 and have had some problems with vomiting. I managed to gain 8 pounds back by eating those bad foods that went down easily. I have since resolved the problems with an unfill. Even with the problems I would do it again. Try not to look at it as the last time you will eat the foods you enjoy. You will get to eat those foods in moderation. Good Luck to you!

I just had it done 6 days ago and I have to admit with the first 2 days being as rough as they were I questioned myself! But now that I'm feeling well again and I'm already down 21 lbs (mostly from the pre-op diet) I couldn't imagine NOT making this choice. I was laying in bed last night and I started thinking about how lucky I am to have this opportunity to be healthy again, and thats what it's all about, not about the fact that I haven't had taco bell in almost a month LOL. So no regrets here!!

As far as being able to eat the stuff like before, I believe it's everything in moderation. Last night my fiance wanted Dairy Queen and asked if they had anything that I could eat, I said probably not but get me a kid's size vanilla ice cream anyway! I ate about 1/2 and I felt satisfied, I got to eat a food that I used to love but with the new found control that I've never had before....

So I say go for it, get through the roughest part and then you should be able to incorporate the foods you love into your new life!

hmmm, I regret not doing something sooner.

Not sure if the band was the right wls for me.

Then again, not sure if there IS a right WLS - for any of us.

Im cajun and Ive always enjoyed very spicy/strong flavors.

Since banding I cant have either one, spicy OR strong foods.

yes, Im down 70 pounds, but when my family sits down to a delicious gumbo meal and Im stuck only eating the meat from a cooked chicken leg - because the gumbo juice gives me horrid reflux & upset stomach - then I curse the band and wish I had gone with another choice.

Even alcohol is untolerable for me to handle. Wine? I pb faster then a speeding bullet.

I dont have regrets having a WLS - although I dont encourage anyone in making AGB their decision.