Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 7 weeks post op.. When were you able to have sushi w brown rice? I haven't had any problems with any foods so far... But I havent had any rice or Pasta yet and just had my first piece of ww bread yesterday.. I am thinking I will be able to only have a few pieces anyway... As opposed to the 4 or 5 rolls I used to be able to devour no problem lol

Cultural note: sushi is the rice, sashimi is the fish itself. :)

Maybe go for some sashimi (eg just the fish?). I've been missing spicy salmon rolls and this week think I'm ready for a piece or two of salmon sashimi with spicy sauce on the side...mmmm!

I went to my favorite sushi place last week and checked the menu for something without rice and on the menu Kappa Mark...a cucumber roll with either a combo of raw fish or spicy tuna, no rice or nori. It was fantastic!

Just order the sushi filling on a small salad. I do this all the time. I love spicy tuna rolls but rice kind of...slows down the works if you catch my drift. Many places will already have this as an option but you can always special order. Sashimi is the actual cuts of fish so if you order that you will get slices. If you like it with the mix-ins and chopped up ask for the filling. Usually you get about a 1/2 cup of filling on a small bed of lettuce.

Sushi is one of the foods I miss the most, being a new sleever! I'll be three weeks out tomorrow...and I desperately want sushi, coffee and my wine back. :) (actually I could care less about the wine at this point. Just gimme my coffee and sushi. And maybe a Coke Slurpee).

Yesterday I got a tuna & avocado roll - it had tuna & avo draped on top and cucumber crab & tobiko in the middle - I ate the toppings & the middle--- just peeled the rice right off - mmmmmm it was heaven! Been waiting about 10 weeks for that!

How early can we have sashimi? Is there any time that's TOO early?

I had sushi for the first time about 2 months out. I love sushi but can't do the rice. It get's stuck. So, my sushi place will let you build a roll. My favorite is avo, crab, salmon and tuna wrapped with seaweed. Still can only eat 2 pieces, but yummy. You just ask for what you can get on the menu without rice, they can usually accommodate you.

I started sashimi around four weeks out. At eight weeks I tried sushi rolls without much of a problem. I can't eat a whole roll as it fills me up too quickly but I can do four pieces comfortably. My husband usually gets a bunch of rolls and I'll pick a piece of each. Ironically, sushi is one of the foods that doesn't make me nauseous afterwards.

Mews you give me hope!!! I love my sashimi and am planning to have some at four weeks. I hope it goes down ok!!!!

I started having sashimi really early out as well. It was really gentle on my sleeve. I just had my first sushi since the surgery a week ago. I ate a whole two pieces and felt not full but not empty, I didn't want to push it with a third piece so I stopped there.

I'm guilty of having one piece!!

I'm 2 months post op, it went down with no problem. Funny thing, that one piece was all I really needed, I was content!

I might try it again soon:-)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I've been eating sushi since 2 1/2 months out with no problem whatsoever. I only have the actual sushi rolls, not nigiri or sashimi (too big of a fish blob for me...) I can eat 5 to 7 pieces of one roll and that is WAY full. There is not enough rice in 5 pieces to worry about a carb overload, just make sure you can digest rice ok. There is no food so far that bothers me, so don't go by that. For a while there, we were having it a couple times a week, and I've been losing like crazy, so I say go for it when you are clear for digesting rice and fish!

Yay Dooter! Sushi is a very healthy meal as long as you stay away from the heavy mayo dishes, so I'm looking forward to adding it back to my diet! I hope I can tolerate rice but if not, that's okay too... I can eat CA rolls or plain ol tuna sashimi and I'm happy either way! So I'm very glad to read this!