Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI, my name is Julie and I'm in New Hampshire. I've just started the process of getting approved for VSG surgery. I've gotten my referral from my PCP, initial bloodwork, and H&P sent over to the hospital. I have my first info session next Tuesday. I'm very excited but not very patient, though I'm trying to work on that lol. Any suggestions? I know there are alot of "hoops" to jump through before getting an approval, so any help is appreciated.

Hi where in NH? I'm in MA on the northshore area............My sis lives in Raymond..............I have Tufts and have to do 6 months of their program 1st. I'm going with Lahey Clinic what about u??

-Kim

Im fairly new at the process too. I went to my first appt on May 4th and have been trying to get all my requirements filled. I had my second mandatory nutrition appt today...one more to go and then we submit to insurance...im praying i get approved after all this prep

The only advice I would give is try to be patient and not give up. It can be quite the process and waiting game to get the approval, then the hoops you have jump through pre-op (i.e. liquid diet), but it's certainly worth it. The waiting will likely frustrate you - don't talk yourself out of it :)

I'm only a couple months in, originally I was disappointed at the amount of time it was going to take for me to get the surgery. I've come to realize how much of a change this is going to be and how helpful it is to have this window of time to get my head around the idea of what i'm doing.

Start w/ small steps. Make sure you get your Water in for the day, don't drink during meals (or try not to, this is surprisingly difficult for me) and start an exercise regimen. Even if it's just walking, it'll get you prepared w/ the habits and tools that you're going to need once you've had the surgery.

best of luck :)

I called my surgical center prior to my first appoinment and checked with my insurance as to the requirements before starting my journey. I met with my surgeon on 4/9/12 and had my sleeve 6/7/12. I did most of the requirements before ever meeting the surgeon so that I could streamline my process. I have lost 34 lbs since I began my journey and 9 of those in the last week. Don't be afraid to call your insurance company and ask tons of questions. They should have a standard for the surgery to be approved. Read it and inform your surgeon. I completed all my tests and made sure they got to the surgeons office. I did not allow time to pass I was done being too big for my britches!

I called my surgical center prior to my first appoinment and checked with my insurance as to the requirements before starting my journey. I met with my surgeon on 4/9/12 and had my sleeve 6/7/12. I did most of the requirements before ever meeting the surgeon so that I could streamline my process. I have lost 34 lbs since I began my journey and 9 of those in the last week. Don't be afraid to call your insurance company and ask tons of questions. They should have a standard for the surgery to be approved. Read it and inform your surgeon. I completed all my tests and made sure they got to the surgeons office. I did not allow time to pass I was done being too big for my britches!

I keep seeing the large amounts of weight being lost with such a short time and just wondering where you started at? Kind of wondering if it's different for people that are smaller and have less to lose?

(Alright how did I get two tickers? lol)

Hey there! I'm in nh too! I've done all the info sessions, classes with the psychologist, endoscopy, EKG, blood work, X-rays, lost my weight needed for surgery and I meet with the surgeon tomorrow to set the date! I'm so anxious, I have been the whole time with this process. For me, using myfitnesspal as an app on my smartphone, or myfitnesspal.com has really helped me lose the weight and learn how to make better decisions. I've incorporated a ton of Protein and shakes within my day, which is something we will need post surgery. Meeting with the dietician was big for me and just having her put into perspective my eating habits and what they should be. I don't know if I'm helping at all, I'm trying! Best wishes, this site is a lot of help and having a good support group is amazing too! I'm so excited to find out my surgery date tomorrow!! Take care! I'm in exeter nh btw... I wonder if we are close??

Wow, thank you for all the information and advice! I'm in Manchester, for those who've asked. Anyone have suggestions on the Protein Shakes? The good, the bad, and the don't even try it?

Hi where in NH? I'm in MA on the northshore area............My sis lives in Raymond..............I have Tufts and have to do 6 months of their program 1st. I'm going with Lahey Clinic what about u??

-Kim

I am in Manchester, not too far away. I have Cigna and I believe I have a 3 month program for them. I will be going through CMC in Manchester.

Good luck and I'll talk with you soon!!

Julie

Im fairly new at the process too. I went to my first appt on May 4th and have been trying to get all my requirements filled. I had my second mandatory nutrition appt today...one more to go and then we submit to insurance...im praying i get approved after all this prep

Good luck! I hope you get approved soon!! :)

I keep seeing the large amounts of weight being lost with such a short time and just wondering where you started at? Kind of wondering if it's different for people that are smaller and have less to lose?

(Alright how did I get two tickers? lol)

I started at 224 in January 2012. Weight on surgery date 199, weight this morning 188. I started with a BMI of 40.3. I have lost most of my weight because I began eating like I would need to after surgery in February. Feels GREAT to almost be able to cross my legs and bend to dry my toes without having to bend around my belly.

Wow, thank you for all the information and advice! I'm in Manchester, for those who've asked. Anyone have suggestions on the Protein Shakes? The good, the bad, and the don't even try it?

I love muscle milk RTD (ready to drink). If I use powdered mixes I make them with milk in the blender. Adds some fluff to them and breaks down the powder better. As for the "NO WAY" there are some I got at a local diet shop that are thick and not easy to drink. Remember that you can thin it down if you aren't handling it well. Stick to one type ~ soy or whey until you know what you can tolerate. I'm not lactose intolerant and the surgery didn't change that. Try them before your surgery so you know which ones you like and how they taste.

I started at 224 in January 2012. Weight on surgery date 199, weight this morning 188. I started with a BMI of 40.3. I have lost most of my weight because I began eating like I would need to after surgery in February. Feels GREAT to almost be able to cross my legs and bend to dry my toes without having to bend around my belly.

Good thing I went back read your surgery date lol I thought you were saying since JANUARY you only lost 11 pounds - I would be pissed if that's the case. I am really hoping i have such a good loss at a quick rate. :)