Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In The Hospital - Pre-Op 1 Day

Well, I finally did it. i have wanted this for many years and worked hard for it. Then I cried in the room waiting to go into surgery and then in the operating room wondering what in the *^$(# I was about to do to myself. yesterday i definitely thought that through and through. Today, I don't know. I'm sure this is all normal but will my life ever be normal again?

i'm sure what i'm feeling is normal. : ) i was scared yesterday. after alllllllll the waiting. i feel better today. I go home tomorrow. : ) amazing the stories there are on here about huge weight loss. and now i'm about to be one of those stories. looks like we are on the same track. i'm one day behind you. : ) congrats to you as well. : )

I am only 8 days (well 9 now that it is past midnight) post op and after surgery I had quite a few moments of "what the he#@ did I do to myself?" moments. What I figured out was it was directly due to my pain level. I haven't had any of those moments in days now. I'm actually very excited for the journey ahead of me. Best of luck to you!

Life will be "normal" again. A new normal though. Now you learn the new you and how to adjust.

Congrats on being sleeved and welcome to the losers bench!

ahhhhhhhhh. much better, now. It's been a week since my surgery. I had some complications in the hospital with my diabetes. it escalated due to all the glucose in the drips. when i got home i was feeling pretty weak for a few days. again, i think it was because I have been struggling with some diabetes issues. Yes, it was frustrating for a few days but it's only a week out and I feel like I'm almost back to normal... whatever normal is. lol. I was out at a shoot today and it went pretty well... not quite all there but almost! the weight is definitely coming off for the first time in many years. I"m feeling much better about the decision and well on my way to thinking as so many others that it will be the best thing ever.

The week before surgery I purposely scheduled a family vacation to keep my mind off of the upcoming surgery. I'm glad I did because I was starting to think to myself what in the world are you doing? I worked for a year to get approved. : ) As I went into surgery I actually started to freak out a bit and started to cry. They put me under super quick because I was becoming anxious. lol. sooooooo I think the week ahead is a difficult one but good for really wrapping your head around what it is you are doing. the first week after i was still asking myself what in the world had i done to myself? energy was low. i was light headed and had a hard time going on those little walks. almost passed out the first few days. tried to go the grocery store and wasn't going to make it through the first aisle. went in those fun little carts and then got the grocery shopping done with hubby. lol.

I was on full liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery and clear liquid 2 days prior to surgery. In the hospital on the 2nd day post I was given Water. then Clear Liquids. SIP SIP SIP and there is no pain. or at least there was no pain for me with nutrition. i got tired of the Clear Liquids quickly. i think i had them for one week and then transitioned into full liquids. Trader Joe Soups made this phase a breeze.

2nd week post op i started to feel normal again and was able to get into the exercise. towards the end of the second week i got back on a bike. : ) pain wise I've been really surprised as i have had very very little. the only time i've used the pain meds is at night to make sure i get a good night sleep.

3rd week post op. almost normal!!! i've been back to work on my feet for a couple of days with eight hours on my feet and survived. Isopure clear liquid drinks seem to help the most with feeling like i'm well nourished. its something like 40 grams of protein(!) in a bottle and only 150 calories. I've started the soft foods and again, I'm thankful that I do still enjoy food but don't eat much of it. I'm satisfied very easily.

Finally at this point I feel like it was a very good decision to have done this. the weight is falling off like crazy. i do exactly what the doctor says with the amount of food to eat, the Vitamins, the Protein, the exercise. At my two week weigh in i had lost 13 pounds from surgery day (with clothes on) so probably even another pound or two. crazy. at three weeks i've lost 22 pounds since surgery day. i didn't even know it was possible to lose that much weight so fast. hope this helps. : )

I didn't even get the chance to panic going into the OR. The CRNA said I'm giving you this to help you relax on the way to OR. Yeah whatever that was, I fell asleep instantly & then woke up in PACU. The main complication I had was from bring npo for around 33 hours post-op which meant I couldn't take my Effexor. Unfortunately Effexor can cause horrible withdrawal symptoms which prolly contributed to my horrible n/v (which was really only dry heaves cos nothing in my stomach) but I'm on day 3 back on my Effexor, crushed of course & doing way better. Day of surgery was freaking out my dad who didn't want me to have it especially when I was so sick. He's okay now that I'm doing way better

Hi I'm three days out of surgery n I thought the same thing. I cryed as well. Think what the hell am I doing to my self. But I kept saying in the long run ur health will be better. Good luck!!!

Hi I'm three days out of surgery n I thought the same thing. I cryed as well. Think what the hell am I doing to my self. But I kept saying in the long run ur health will be better. Good luck!!!

I'm almost three weeks out now! i can tell you it does get better. thankfully! the worst part was the first week. it is an adjustment for sure.... and easing into soft foods (so far ). cottage cheese is heavenly after those Protein Drinks. i'm kind of sick of them so starting to get creative. I saw Paula Deen making smoothies with yogurt and fruit and it reminded me - hey(!) I can do that! and then add in the unflavored Protein Powder - found it at GNC. ate some fish tonight. happy to say i truly enjoyed it... a small amount but my tummy accepted it so kindly after i chewed it a whole lot. LOL. anyways... it is awesome to be able to share stories with others who are right there going through the same thing as me!!! keep on truckin! this works! : )