Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Use A Hydration Pack Or Camelbak Post Op?

I loved using mine before surgery on hikes, but since then I have refrained from using it because of the "no straws" rule.

I use mine all the time for longer rides, but I waited until I was 4 months out just to be safe. I also use straws on occasion when drinking EmergenC, never had any problems. Sometimes helped to sip it into the mouth, swish it around before swallowing just to know if there is a lot of air.

okay, still a noob. What is a hydration pack?

A small back pack that has a Water bladder in it with a drinking tube that comes over the shoulder close to your mouth. Allows you to carry quite a bit of liquid and drink easily. Lots of people wear them while cycling or hiking.

It's like a backpack for carrying Water only. I use mine when hiking. It goes on ur back and there's a tube that stretches from ur back to wherever u clip it on the front of ur body. Water on the go! ;)

I use mine and I am three months out. No problems whatsoever. I also drink from a straw.

OKAY 1- does it come with a tube for your bladder too? lol

2-are we not supposed to drink from straws? i haven't heard this before

3 - where can i purchase one of these ? sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for helping a noob!!

OKAY 1- does it come with a tube for your bladder too? lol

2-are we not supposed to drink from straws? i haven't heard this before

3 - where can i purchase one of these ? sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for helping a noob!!

Some dr's. say no straws. I was never told this. I drink everything from a straw. Also everyone said no coffee. It was brought to me for Breakfast the day after surgery while still in the hospital. Not sure why, but every dr is different

I got mine from REI but I noticed yesterday that Academy had some as well. Most sporting goods stores, especially the places that sell outdoor type of stuff, like cycling and hiking. They are really great and come in many different sizes. The small ones are just a Water bladder, but some are more like a full backpack. Get one to fit your activity and Water consumption needs. I think mine holds 90 ounces.

And yeah, my NUT made a huge deal about never drinking from a straw again, but I know some NUTs don't have a problem with it.

I have a couple of them that I use. One is a 50 oz for short runs or bike rides and a 90 oz I use for 100 mile rides. No problem with them. My doctor told me not to use the straw for the first 3 months but after that it was OK.

Target & Walmart both sell them. I buy several inserts so I can keep one in freezer and/or incase it gets slimey!

I use mine lots, probably 3-4x/month without problems. I do swish and spit to eliminate air for the first drink.

@calikat

What about it that gets slimey? Sounds like a great by.

Also, how often should it be cleaned for a refill of Water?

Target & Walmart both sell them. I buy several inserts so I can keep one in freezer and/or incase it gets slimey!

I use mine lots, probably 3-4x/month without problems. I do swish and spit to eliminate air for the first drink.

Ive used my camel bak since day 1! My NUT told me about it!

The inside of the Water bladder is difficult to get completely dry. If moisture stays in there between uses it will grow stuff you don't want to drink.

Imagine drying out the inside of a balloon. That's what the bladder is like only bigger. Needs to be washed out well regularly. I've stuck a hair dryer on cool in mine before to dry it.