Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post-Op... Help!

Hello everyone,

I was sleeved on June 7th, 2012, through a single incision.... I was so nervous but everything went by so fast. I stayed in the hospital for 2 days extra due to high blood pressure and problems tolerating my meds. ( I'm allergic to codeine so that cuts out all the good meds.). In the hospital they kept feeding me broth, Jello, Popsicles, Italian ice and Protein shakes. I couldn't eat too much of anything for the first two days. Now that I'm home I'm tempted to eat everything. However, the pain I have during and after eating keeps me from doing too much. I keep getting a very sharp, rolling and uncomfortable feeling in my stomach when I eat at times. Does anyone know what that may be coming from?

What can I do to reduce/stop the pain?

How do I get all my liquids in without feeling bloated?

Everytime I have a Protein shake, I feel stuffed and suffer diarrhea shortly afterwards. The Protein Shakes have 5 grams of Fiber in each.

Did anyone else suffer diarrhea during week one or liquid weeks?

Where does the diarrhea come from?

What can I do to stop it?

My belly is visibly swollen... Will putting ice packs help reduce the swelling?

What else can I do to reduce swelling??

I also have some bruising around the incisions. How do I reduce bruising?

I'm also having a major problem with this liquid diet. It's beginning to become tired some and hard to stay on task. I don't want to cheat as I struggle through this phase. What liquids have helped you through this phase??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Surgery weigh in = 223

Today's weight = 208

Change up the temperature of what you're drinking. That should help with the tummy spasms. Go to warm or hot beverages and see if they don't go down easier. I know it sounds stupid, but slow down on what you're drinking. Smaller sips may help to keep the spasms from happening and, those spasms may be your full signal for now. It's definitely trial and error when you're first sleeved.

As for the Protein shakes giving you diarrhea, are they milk-based? I developed lactose intolerance right after surgery and cannot handle straight milk in anything. Try mixing your Protein powder in Water or in soy/almond milk.

I can't help with the bruising or tummy swelling, sorry. I was giving myself shots in the abdomen that caused bruises. I just kept my shirt pulled down over them so I didn't have to look at the bruises! :)

Lastly, stick to your liquids. Your sleeve is swollen inside and can't handle the extra effort to push through anything that requires effort, like solid foods. Don't eat anything that's going to cause your sleeve to do extra work. It's got all it can do right now to recover from the surgery. If you're hurting from liquids, anything that you could chew is going to make that even worse. Give your sleeve the time it needs to heal so that you don't end up having a leak. It's very tender right this minute and can't do any more than heal. If you feel like you absolutely have to chew, use some crushed ice and chew until it melts. The bonus is that you'll get extra Water in from that! :)

Good luck! This stage will pass more quickly than you think.

Thank you so much for all your help! I think your right about the temperature. I was drinking the shakes frozen with ice. This evening, I had a cup of hot tea and no spasms.

I also tried eating from a baby's spoon and didn't have spasms if I ate really slow.

Your such a smart lady!

What are the signs of a leak?

How do I avoid getting a leak?

Do you have any additional advice for me in the future????

Things you wish you had done?

What are some things I can do to help my healing process?

What are some good liquids I can have?

Thanks for all your help!

Eating from a baby spoon is a really good idea! I still do it.

What are the signs of a leak? You'll know very quickly. Big things to look out for are lots of vomitting and lots of intense pain.

How do I avoid getting a leak? The best thing you can do is stick to your doctor's dietary plan and remain hydrated (drink your water!).

Do you have any additional advice for me in the future???? I could give you tons of advice, but most of it won't be applicable to your situation. Ask questions as you progress and use the search button in the upper right hand corner. TONS of info is available here for us.

Things you wish you had done? I wish I had taken my measurements sooner. They are a huge help when you're stalled and having a tough time.

What are some things I can do to help my healing process? Stick to the diet, work on getting your Water and Protein in every day.

What are some good liquids I can have?

Do a search here for "leak" and see what you find. It's been discussed at length.

Liquids in = liquids out. So I would try to mix your shake with Water or warm tea and see if it causes the same reaction. A lot of shakes are already lactose free. I did develop lactose intolerance post op and it wasn't just diarrhea, it was extreme discomfort and gas, along with all day nausea if I ate any dairy.

Yes, stay with liquids and warm liquids are best. You aren't going to get anywhere near your nutritional goals for a little while so don't push your sleeve when you can't eat. Rest and try to heal.

If your pain is interfering with your daily function you need to talk to your doctor. This is not normal. You should feel uncomfortable but outright pain at this point should not be happening.

~Cheri

I used muscle milk light from costco vanilla creme and at first I had it room temp. My nut. said to buy reg. Soup and drain the juice and use it tastes a bit better. Using a heating pad can help the sore stomach area remember always be sipping. This phase will end soon. Good luck!

I was sleeved on Tuesday. I am having the spasms in my tummy when I drink too. The best way to described mine are it feels like my tummy is really really growling from being hungry.. or if you have ever taken a big gulp of Coke on an empty stomach and it burns the whole way down.

I am on full liquid diet now. I made a packet of cream of chicken Soup and have been sipping on half of it for about an hour now.

My tummy is a little swollen as well. I am not having any wound seepage though.

My Dr. has told me to take a prilosec every day. I took one a couple of hours ago. I was hoping it would help with the gassy tummy but hasn't yet.

Warm liquids do seem to work better than cold ones at first. I even bought an electric coffee cup warmer/plate that I could set my coffee cup on to keep it warm all day. If you can get one, do so. Make whatever your going to be drinking in a coffee cup and just sip on it all day. To this day, I still drink my bottled Water at room temperature. Some things I can now drink cold (my frozen Protein smoothies), but for me, my Water has to be room temperature.

I know it's hard to not panic, but take a deep breath (and then take another) and try to relax. If something doesn't seem to be working for you, try something else. You will get a lot of suggestions and help from this site. Not everybody goes/gets thru this the same, but everyone here has at some time or other had questions, so don't be afraid to ask, someone will help you. And it does get easier as time goes on.

When you get to advance to foods (even mushies) you might find that what you used to love now you can't stand. Or, you will eat a bite of something and it won't agree with you, don't give up on it completely, wait a couple of weeks and re-try that food. All our stomachs heal at their own pace and sometimes it takes an extra couple of weeks for all the swelling to go down and for your stomach to stop being mad at you. That's what I used to tell myself in the beginning, that my stomach was mad at me for what I had done to it and I would just have to be patient and wait for it to completely heal.

All our stomachs heal at their own pace and sometimes it takes an extra couple of weeks for all the swelling to go down and for your stomach to stop being mad at you. That's what I used to tell myself in the beginning, that my stomach was mad at me for what I had done to it and I would just have to be patient and wait for it to completely heal.

I like that~

I second the lactose intolerance. Immediately post surgery I could no longer take milk. It made me bloat and feel so tight and gassy. Never got the diarrhea but learned very early on the stay away from it.