Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Better Sleeve Or Ru En Y?

I must have missed something here because I didnt see any rude rampages, only a healthy debate, and a lot of good information. Considering this is going to be a pro-sleeve crowd, I'm not surprised most here favor getting the sleeve over RNY....as do I.

I must have missed something here because I didnt see any rude rampages, only a healthy debate, and a lot of good information. Considering this is going to be a pro-sleeve crowd, I'm not surprised most here favor getting the sleeve over RNY....as do I.

I kept reading through too and didn't really see anything, but maybe something was removed by the admin people? I've seen a couple really nasty threads so anything on here was pretty mild to me, lol. But its true that sometimes people get defensive on either side of whatever post is going on. Some people have a "tone" when they are replying to posts that are very condescending and "know it all-ish", but I think the majority of people on here WANT to be helpful and enjoy responding to people that are newer in this journey. Even though I've seen some people get really ridiculous, I still love getting on this site and gaining information from others going through the same thing I am.

Kimbernada hit the nail on the head with her pros and cons. I also didn't notice much negativity other than some strong opinions about why the sleeve is safer and such than bypass, but that is to be expected when 90% of the people on this forum have had or have chosen to have the sleeve done, or are preparing for surgery. We've all gone through the personal thoughts about which surgery to choose and its kinda funny how most of our reasons kinda overlap. I feel like sleevers are the people who research every little thing and ive literally spent three years lurking on band forums obesity help and this forum and for me this surgery and this support network are what I feel is going to help me be successful.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using VST

Thnks Patrick

I am in the same boat. I got approved for WLS in 2006 and decided to wait (what was I thinking) I guess u get so much pressure from family and friends to try harder so that's why I waited. And I did try very hard, I still am :) I do p90x and work out but the pesky pounds don't budge too much. Then if I stop working out they come right back.

I have known people who have done the band and RNY but no sleevers except my you tube and here.

I guess one thing I am still a little confused about is the difference in amount of weight u can lose with the sleeve. Does it just take a little longer? Again I am willing to do my part and if the hunger hormone is gone then I think I would do great.

Oh one last thing I've seen people say I don't stretch out ur sleeve as much as some stretch their pouch and this doesnt make any sense to me. Any ideas as to why that would happen like that?

I think the stretching may have to do with the size and shape of the two different pouches. I'm not too sure why bypass patients stretch more.

Also one thing that is important to think on is to look more holistically at your life. You are more than your waistline. You could lose 100 pounds and still be miserable. Especially when you're always feeling sick from malabsorption, or dumping or just the lifestyle of rny is harder to maintain. You need to see a doctor every six months for the rest of your life to have a Vitamin and mineral check to make sure your levels are in check.

You will probably also be spending $150+ per month just on Vitamins for the rest of your life. Also I love food and I selfishly am not willing to say goodbye forever to my faves. When I reach goal I can have those things again but I will never be able to eat the same quantity that I would before surgery.

So when you think about the surgery think about how you want to live once you reach goal, is it worth trading some of the pros of the sleeve for a couple months faster weight loss? In the first year you will probably lose 100 pounds and you still might have more to lose but I guarantee you will feel healthier and happier than ever before even though you are not yet at goal. I would be happy to reach 400 right now. 300 would be awesome so i can go to amusement parks again but I didn't put all the weight on in a year I can weight 2 years to get to goal, but you better believe I'm going to work the hardest ive ever worked in my life to get this weight off.

I wish you great luck in making your choice whichever you choose is better than doing nothing and I know you will make it to the losers bench.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using VST

At the time I first met with my surgeon he had done 12 sleeves. I don't know what number I am but let me tell you our numbers increase monthly at my support group! My Dr specializes in laproscopic surgeries in general and 2/3 of his practice is bariatric. He has been doing bariatric surgery for 10 years. Techniques are similar. That counts for me. I haven't lost 130 lbs but my goal is to lose 118 lbs and I am at 106 lbs. My nutritionist says I should lose 100% of my excess weight. I am 10 months out. A lady I work with had RNY a week after I had the sleeve. She has reached her goal before me, sure that makes me jealous, but I am getting there! I WILL get there! Something I have learned recently (I am part of a Facebook group for all WLS types) is they have found that after 2 years the food malabsorption of RNY goes away. However they always malabsorb their Vitamins. So to me, the benefit of RNY ends at 2 years. The sleeve seems to be an ongoing tool, you can not stretch your tummy to its original capacity. hair loss? You'll have it either procedure - it is due to rapid weight loss and the impact on your body. Hope that helps!

Good to know. Believe it or not all the people I know personally have all had RNY and love it. But that being said the only reason I would want that is because I've been told u lose weight faster and my dr has only done maybe 30 sleeves. So it's scary to know hes not too experienced with the sleeve. I don't want to have the malabsorption issues but it seems more people lose weight faster with RNY also I am not interested in a lot of Hair loss. It's a tuff one.

I just googled "sleeve gastrectomy" earlier today on the "news" part of google and there was an article you might find interesting http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/health&id=8700460 about a woman who had the sleeve 6 years ago and lot a huge amount the first year and still maintains her loss now. I also found an article where a Dr said he doesn't see any difference in the % of weight lost at 2 years post bypass and sleeve. Can't find that one now though LOL

As far as the stretching, the pouch of bypass is made of the stretchy material of the stomach where we the sleeve that is the portion that is removed. It can still stretch but not nearly as much.

Thnks Patrick

I am in the same boat. I got approved for WLS in 2006 and decided to wait (what was I thinking) I guess u get so much pressure from family and friends to try harder so that's why I waited. And I did try very hard, I still am :) I do p90x and work out but the pesky pounds don't budge too much. Then if I stop working out they come right back.

I have known people who have done the band and RNY but no sleevers except my you tube and here.

I guess one thing I am still a little confused about is the difference in amount of weight u can lose with the sleeve. Does it just take a little longer? Again I am willing to do my part and if the hunger hormone is gone then I think I would do great.

Oh one last thing I've seen people say I don't stretch out ur sleeve as much as some stretch their pouch and this doesnt make any sense to me. Any ideas as to why that would happen like that?

To answer your question, there are some studies that have shown RNY patients have lost slightly more weight than sleeve patients. This could be because its a bit more effective, or because there are more case studies of the RNY and the sleeve is much newer, or it could be because RNY patients in general may have more weight to loose. I'm not sure if statistics would proof that last point correct or not, but from what I've seen it seems to be true.

But just like Mememee said above, my surgeon told me that regardless of past success rates, there is absolutely no reason why I or anyone else can't lose 100% of our excess weight with the sleeve. Yes it may take 18 months instead of 12, but I think the sleeve patient will have better overall health...and that is the most important thing in the end, IMO.

I am in the same situation. Just had my first intake appt yesterday. I had planned on having lapband but due to a surgical procedure that I had done called nissen fundiplication, I am unable to have it. My doctor recommended plication, but it is experimental and insurance doesn't pay for it. It's $11,000. I have chosen the sleeve. I didn't originally like the sound of having my stomach taken out but after reading stories like the ones on here and doing a lot of research, I think it would be best for me. I too, need to lose at least 120-130 pounds but I do workout regularly so I am a "healthy" fat person. Good luck!

I am in the same situation. Just had my first intake appt yesterday. I had planned on having lapband but due to a surgical procedure that I had done called nissen fundiplication, I am unable to have it. My doctor recommended plication, but it is experimental and insurance doesn't pay for it. It's $11,000. I have chosen the sleeve. I didn't originally like the sound of having my stomach taken out but after reading stories like the ones on here and doing a lot of research, I think it would be best for me. I too, need to lose at least 120-130 pounds but I do workout regularly so I am a "healthy" fat person. Good luck!

Melissa, I had nissen flundiplication in 1999. In December 2011 at the same time I was sleeved, the doctor repaired what the doctor did wrong in 1999. FYI, the fundiplication only is effective for about 7 years, and the stomach has a tendency to "ride up" through the diaphragm.. Don't know if you knew that or not. My VSG doctor had to repair the mess from 1999 for 2 hours before he did my sleeve. The doctor in 1999 had sutured the top of my stomach to my esophagus which this doctor had to take apart and take back down through my diaphragm before cutting the sleeve. I don't know when you had the nissen, but I would suggest to do a regular follow up upper GI xray periodically to see if the top of your stomach is creeping up through your diaprhagm. If I would have know this several years ago, I would not have been in the mess I was in. Everything turned out fine and I am 6 months out and my sleeve is fine, but what a mess I was. I just posted about my experience with this in my post the other day "6 Month Surgiversary" under success stories. Good luck to you.

I have elected to have the sleeve (july 9th) because the stomach and intestines remain fully functional, the stomach is just smaller. The RNY is designed to bypass the small intestines where the nutrients are absorbed, thus the nutritional deficiencies. Although it is apparently not the most difficult surgery to perform, I would suggest seeking out a doctor who has had more experience with the sleeve. It is likely he is pushing the RNY because thats what he knows best. Good luck in your decision, whatever it may be.

the only reason I would want that is because I've been told u lose weight faster.

got2bthin

The above might be true (losing weight faster RNY) - but whats your hurry?

You want this WLS done properly and successfully and results being the healthiest.

Yes, it has been said that we are the sleeve group and a little bit biased - but the truth is - IMO go with the sleeve. Much better

do your research - but i hope you come to the right decision and join our group in sleeveland

good luck

kathy

The Sleeve can definitely get you to where you want and need to be! While there are plenty of Sleeve success stories here on VST (myself included) the decision is ultimately yours. I wish that you make a very well informed decision and that you do what is the absolute best for you.