Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Better Sleeve Or Ru En Y?

I need to lose 120-140 pounds and I am not sure if the sleeve would get me those kind of results. My surgeon says that r en y is the best. But I workout and think that the sleeve is a better choice. Has anyone lost 130 pounds or so? What was your time frame to do so? Does anyone workout? Basically any advice would help thanks guys.

Well, being that you are on a SLEEVE forum the overwhelming response will be for the sleeve. I lost 170 pounds in about a year and am doing fine. I choose the sleeve becasue it was permanant - unlike the band - and did not involve cutting my digestive tract in two twice, which is what is done in an RNY.

You COULD always get a bypass if the sleeve fails but are stuck with an RNY if you later develope issues.

Very true. Thnks for ur response. I am thinking about the sleeve but my dr is pushing for RNY. I just want whatever is going to work the best and not leave me with a bunch of issues.

There are a lot of posts here where numerous people have lost over 130 lbs. You can search for those posts and that will give you a lot of information. ;)

My best friend had a RNY 6 years ago, before the sleeve was widely done. She had a LOT of problems with dumping and malnourishment. I think the sleeve is so popular now because it doesn't re-route your intestines so you dont have as much trouble with being malnurished. You're the 3rd person today that I've read about a Dr "pushing" them towards RNY. I wonder why?

Obviously, there ate a lot of differences in the two procedures and the decision of which is better is a very individual one. One of the things my doctor said in the initial seminar was if you are a big sweets eater and you think you may cheat the sleeve by grazing on sweets all day, the RNY would be a better choice because you will have dumping syndrome with that Of course, he went over all the other things you can find on line or by attending a seminar. This is just another thing that you may not know or find in your research so I thought I'd mention it.

Best of luck to you in your decision.

I am less than 4 months out and I have lost 87#; and I do not exercise. My doc told me that he sees absolutely no reason why I would not lose 150# in a year.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am less than 4 months out and I have lost 87#; and I do not exercise. My doc told me that he sees absolutely no reason why I would not lose 150# in a year.

Sent from my iPad using VST

People like you are a huge inspiration to me. Congrats on your success so far. You've done awesome!

imho sleeve is better -because when I'm 60 or 70 I'm going to probably need to take a lot of medicine (don't all elderly people? hehe no offense to the youth challenged in here) but seriously- with RNY you don't absorb medicine correctly which means dosing you is going to be difficult - the doctor is going to try different doses and he could end up killing you with a lethal dose, or putting you in the hospital because your absorption rate isn't normal, or under-dose you and you end up in the hospital because the medicine isn't working as intended...

I'm thinking about my long-term health. The sleeve also doesn't have dumping and frankly I do not want to swear off my favorite foods for life, instead just till I reach goal. Also, I'm 650 so the sleeve is safer for me than rny as well.

Also the sleeve won't stretch like the bypass does. I've also read a lot of cases where the sleeve has actually been better in the long-run than the bypass -and a lot of bypass patients who've gained back a lot of weight.

Ultimately though it is a personal choice on how you want to live your life, and the malnourishment/absorption of vitamins/medicine/etc plus never being able to eat some of my favorite foods again is just not something I am wanting to live with.

..... I lost 170 pounds in about a year and am doing fine......

Rootman, every time I read a statement like this from you or anyone else, it makes me wanna run upstairs and jump on the elliptical for 45 minutes. You are an inspiration. Nice job.

Hello :) Great job on doing your research and not just giving in to your surgeon (even if you do eventually chose the RNY).

I chose the sleeve because:

- no malabsorption

-simpler surgery=less complications

-no foreign object in my body (compared to band)

-great weight loss results

-options available to switch to RNY if for some reason the sleeve should fail

- long term health results of others who have had sleeves or their stomachs partially/completely removed due to other reasons (cancer, ulcers, trauma, etc)

My biggest problem with the RNY was the malabsorption aspect. Great for weight loss, horrible for nutrition. I was 20 when I was sleeved (21 now, 8 months out) and the last thing I wanted was to be tied to prescription and/or over the counter vitamins/supplements for the rest of my life. Plus, dumping?? Not my thing. (though some sleevers experience this as well, but it is much less frequent).

I have currently lost 120lbs. I never set a goal weight with my surgeon, so I don't know if I hit his goal or not. But I am only 5 lbs away from being in a "normal" weight range for my height... and I consider that successful! My personal goal is still about 25 away, but I am not worried about NOT hitting it. I am still losing consistently. I also have only recently added in exercise.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :)

@emily thank you for the insight. This is exactly why I asked this question. I also want good absorption of my food and nutrients but I want an need to lose at least 100 but 130 is my personal goal.