Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Learned My Lesson. Do Not Do A Strenuous Hike Without A Carb Load

If you plan to do something strenuous like say ... hike up a mountain, make sure you get enough carbohydrates and stay hydrated. I got the worse case of muscle fatigue and cramping. I was literally in pain and couldn't move well. All I had for the day was a bit of refried Beans and some cheese,

On a very low carb diet, your muscles do not have the glycogen stores to be able to sustain such activity. DUH! I went out and got some Soup and ice cream. Not shivering anymore. All better. At the counter was some apple juice. I don't drink sugar Water anymore, but was craving it like you wouldn't believe. My muscles basically needed easy to covert straight sugar. The extra fat we have can not be converted fast enough during this type of exercise.

A friend of mine told me this:

I have a Chiropractor friend who does bicycle races in the Rockies,etc...He says that at pit stops the racers gorge on carbs,Gatorade,sweets..etc and they still lose weight ! The pace in the mountains is brutal and electrolytes is a mainstay.

I know there are a few of you out there who do marathons and otherwise train heavily. Maybe you could advise on the best things to eat during long endurance training.

Yep, Pdxman helped me through this issue. I just finished a 100K bike ride today and did a triathlon last weekend. In the week before a race or very heavy workout, I up my carb intake to between 200-400, depending on the distance. Then during the race or event, you have continue with carbs every 45 minutes. In a 5K, where it a run will usually take less than 45 minutes, you don;t have to do this but it's important to take in carbs as part of the healing process also.

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Didn't think about as to why I would get such cramps after jogging for an extended period of time when I did it a couple times a day.

Cramps can also be a sign of low potassium and dehydration and have nothing to do with carbs. Just because you are cramping doesn't mean you need carbs.

Cramps can also be a sign of low potassium and dehydration and have nothing to do with carbs. Just because you are cramping doesn't mean you need carbs.

It was a combination of all of the above. I'm sure my electrolyte balance was off, but basically after hiking to 10,000 ft. and 8 hours of strenuous hiking, my muscles needed ready to use fuel: Sugars.

I know sleevers and weight loss patients have been told that carbs are the devil, but there are times when you need them to perform.

Yes that's a heck of a hike. Google "bonking". It sounds like what you had. I've done it a few times cycling and it's horrible.

Yep' date=' Pdxman helped me through this issue. I just finished a 100K bike ride today and did a triathlon last weekend. In the week before a race or very heavy workout, I up my carb intake to between 200-400, depending on the distance. Then during the race or event, you have continue with carbs every 45 minutes. In a 5K, where it a run will usually take less than 45 minutes, you don;t have to do this but it's important to take in carbs as part of the healing process also.[/quote']

Congrats on your century ride. I've done a few pre-surgery and they are fun. I've just started back riding again and look forward to building my stamina back up. I did 15 miles Friday and felt great. My wife and I have done several of the MS150 rides here in TX. 150 miles in 2 days. The one from Houston to Austin has 13,000 riders. It's amazing.

Yes that's a heck of a hike. Google "bonking". It sounds like what you had. I've done it a few times cycling and it's horrible.

I like this article:

The Science Behind Bonking

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--6263-1-2X3X5X7X8X10-7,00.html

Yep, Pdxman helped me through this issue. I just finished a 100K bike ride today and did a triathlon last weekend. In the week before a race or very heavy workout, I up my carb intake to between 200-400, depending on the distance. Then during the race or event, you have continue with carbs every 45 minutes. In a 5K, where it a run will usually take less than 45 minutes, you don;t have to do this but it's important to take in carbs as part of the healing process also.

Yes congratulations on the century ride. I am so in awe of you athletes.

I had a 6 oz Greek yogurt with half a dozen fresh chopped cherries this morning for Breakfast. That is pushing it with my still tiny sleeve. YUM!

Also had my first experience with this as well a few weeks ago. Had been biking 35 miles a few times a week on a flat bike path and my high-protein/low carb Breakfast was just fine for me. About 5 weeks ago, it was time to "up" the effort and I went on a new route that had a few large hills at the beginning of the ride. I was completely depleted within 90 minutes. I was very shaky and my legs had nothing left. Fortunately I had a Cliff gel shot that someone had given me to try stowed away in my bag, and I ate it - all 100 calories/25 g carbs. A friend I was with had some extra fig newtons and I ate them about 30 mins later.

My rides have increased in length and duration and I simply cannot manage them with low carbs. I eat 1/2 PB&J sandwich before my ride, eat the other 1/2 about 45 mins into my ride and then continue with a banana, gel shots, etc every 30-45 mins depending upon the ride and how I'm feeling.

Definitely a good message to get to those of us that are new to endurance sports. We're so programmed to think that carbs are only evil, but with these types of activities they are absolutely essential.

I think some figs bars and an orange are going with me on my next hike. I wish I new the right proportions though.

I just ran into an article that says that chocolate milk might be better after strenuous exercise than sports drinks.

All this bike talk makes me want to get back on my bike. I have a Giant mountain bike that is about 10 years old. I wish I would have gotten a small frame instead of the extra small.

I think some figs bars and an orange are going with me on my next hike. I wish I new the right proportions though.

I just ran into an article that says that chocolate milk might be better after strenuous exercise than sports drinks.

All this bike talk makes me want to get back on my bike. I have a Giant mountain bike that is about 10 years old. I wish I would have gotten a small frame instead of the extra small.

chocolate milk is supposed to be good but it can he hard for some people. Anything with electrolytes, like G2, would be good. Also, oranges are easy to carry in a baggie and bananas are good also. I wouldn't worry about it too much except to say make sure you have more than less. For my 100K bike ride, I consumed 1 PB&J sandwich, 1 orange, 1 1/2 bananas, 3 Gel shots, 3 Red Vines and 3 liters of fluids. That was for a 3,000 foot elevation gain over the first 50K.

Wow! That's amazing!!! I was looking at your menu from a sleeve perspective and it made me laugh. I'd love to tell my nutritionist about this. I'm pretty sure she has no experience with this. In fact, It kind of blew my mind that she did not know how to make a good Protein shake. If you do it right, they can be very good.

This was my hike:

Trail Stats: Devils Backbone Trail via Baldy Notch Mileage to summit 3.2 Trailhead 7800' Baldy Summit 10,064' Total gain 2264' Gain per mi. 707'

Then taking a different and very steep route down from the summit is: 4.2 miles with a loss of 3,900' of elevation.

I know 6.2 miles sounds like nothing, but it's steep and there is the elevation for those of us not far above sea level. It's also fun if there's still snow up there because sliding down the bowl beats walking anytime!