Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating after a fill

I just had my first fill two days ago, and my doc said to eat soft food for 10 days (not liquids). This is from the same doctor who told me that after 3 days of liquids after surgery, I could go straight onto solids (which I did). I don't really understand the logic behind eating soft foods for such a long time after a fill, but I will follow his orders, if someone could just help me understand the reasoning behind going slow after a fill. Is there swelling after a fill (and does this mean that my restriction level could change as the swelling goes down)?

Thanks for your input.

Deana.

All of them are different. Mine says don't even worry about doing liquids. He says you'll know if you need to do soft foods or liquids because your band will tell you.

My doctor had me do 2 day liquid and 2 days mushie. Then he said to take it slow, slow, slow. It sounds like your doctor is just wanting you to take it slow too. I was filled on the 15th (first fill) and I'm still finding I need to go slow. It's a huge adjustment, at least for me.

Good luck! :biggrin1:

I also wonder what the logic is, I go 3 days of Clear Liquids and yes I agree that you will know what to eat from there.

Wondering why all the Water as well? My doctor told me gadorade is best, but it has calories in it. Not something I need.

I am going out of the box and going to try my on experiment this time. I am going with liquids in for 2 days and mushys for 5 or so. I have made the mistake of getting a few things stuck so I am now "gun shy" so to speak.

I think if you go to 50 doctors your going to get different answers for the most part.

I think if you go to 50 doctors your going to get different answers for the most part.

Yes, judging by all the different recommendations that the people on this board get from their doctors, it would seem that just about every one of them is different. I just don't understand what they base their recommendations on, especially when they don't seem to be in line with the general trend (I'm also thinking of recent discussions on drinking before/during/after meals, drinking diet coke, length of liquid/mushies/solids stages after banding....)?

I'm still wondering about swelling after a fill - does this happen, and if so, does it affect restriction? Why do I read so often about a fill not really "kicking in" until a week or so after? Would all this be reason for recommending liquids or mushies after a fill?

I'm still wondering about swelling after a fill - does this happen, and if so, does it affect restriction? Why do I read so often about a fill not really "kicking in" until a week or so after? Would all this be reason for recommending liquids or mushies after a fill?

I just had a fill (my third) and I can see my port is definately swollen! I have not read any logic on why other than the needle. I know my fill kicked in the day I got off Clear Liquids.< /p>

Some people do swell while others don't... another strange thing about the band. My surgeon explained that it can take up to 2 weeks for the restriction to "kick-in" on some people. That's not the case for me. If I get restriction, it's the same day as the fill. As for a post-op diet, mine directs you to do one day of full fluids, one day of soft foods and then back to solids.

Well, I can't feel any swelling, not around the band, nor around the port, but I definitely felt a difference in restriction as soon as I had the fill (I actually had too much restriction - Water was sitting in the pouch before going down - so I had him remove some an hour later).

I've been drinking Soup, Protein shakes, eating yoghurt, bananas and avocados and other softer-type foods for the last two days, and even so, I definitely can feel more restriction now than prior to the fill (in the end I only got 0.5 cc more). I could still probably eat anything, but I actually feel satiated now after a small yoghurt and a small banana for Breakfast. I hope that this new found restriction won't go away if in fact I am swollen from the fill.

Deana.

The reasoning for doing liquids and soft mushy foods after a fill is MOST bandsters have post fill swelling and you could easily cause OBSTRUCTION to your band if food gets caught in your stoma, the small opening in your band. This could cause vomiting and repeated vomiting which could lead to band slip and band loss.

NaNa,

Thanks for helping me understand the reason for liquids/mushies after the fill. So once the swelling goes away, would this mean that I would lose some of the restriction that I'm feeling now? Should I have had a bit more fill in anticipation of losing some restriction after the swelling goes down?

Also, when you use the term 'vomiting', do you mean throwing up food/PBing? I have never actually PB'd before (thrown up food), but have got food stuck on several occasions (often on the first bite of a meal) which has brought on lovely sliming episodes (saliva backing up that I need to spit out in the sink). Although there is an obstruction to the stoma which causes some pain by having the golfball feeling, I don't actually 'bring up' any of the food that I've eaten. It ends up going down by itself, but I do have to get rid of the backed up saliva. I hope this doesn't qualify as 'vomiting' as such that may cause damage to the band? I should also say that I haven't had this happen since my fill two days ago, since I've been sticking with mushies that go down without a hitch.

I appreciate your experience and advice.

Deana.

Deanna,

It seems like you are using your band like you are supposed to. You don't want to start a vomiting Pbing habit, like so many do on this board do. Most end up losing their bands, they don't think PBing is harmful until their band slips.

You are taking the correct approach when your food gets stuck, by letting nature take its course and letting the stuck food move down on its own rather than inducing vomiting. The slime is natural I have done this a few times, but I have NEVER PB either, nor have I had any band problems so far. Sometimes if I get stuck really bad, I will chew on papaya enzyme tablets and they will help move the food through the pouch, also try a squeeze of lemon if you get stuck really band I hear that helps also.

Good luck you are doing great!

Thanks NaNa, and all the others for your insight. It's so nice to have answers and other people's experience to rely on in what would otherwise be a very lonely journey.

Deana.

I agree with you Anaed, what a nightmare without the expertize of this people who have been around awhile.

I have got things stuck before and have a 10cc band that will evidually let it go through, but it is a AWFUL experience and don't what that to happen no more.

Had my second fill Aug 29.Wed. I had Pork BBQ.Taco salad.Thur.Boss took us out to eat,Had sirloin tips baked potatoe salad.Ate 1/2of a sirlion tip 3 bites potatoe,3 bites salad. Threw up 10 times.Very embarassing. But i know i had a good fill.Any input is welcome.

Doctor told me to be that I should be my own advisor, start with liquids, if you feel you can handle soilds then go for it, otherwise stick to Soups and so forth. As he said people are different, and the swelling they get is different. Even me, sometimes I get a swelling after a fill (a strong fill) and sometimes I don't (soft fill)

My suggestion: is to take it slow and start with liquids for few days, as you need to re-discover your new restriction level, and see how much you can handle... Take it slow