Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Leave The Husband At Home?

I say leave him at home. You will be doing a lot of sleeping and he will be bored. Plus, if he complains you will be more worried about him than you and you don't need that.

My husband had intended on staying there but I was so out of it the first day because of pain and morphine that he just went home. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital and he visited every day and stayed for a few hours but for the most part he stayed at home with the kids which made me feel better. It was nice to be left alone in peace and quiet. There were times I wish he were there to help me get up or help with my socks eyc etc but I managed. It was a nice break from life for a few days.

Even though you will be doing a lot of sleeping, you should have someone there in case something happens. Not to be a downer or anything, but my husband went in for nasal surgery a couple yrs ago. I almost didnt go with him because my son was tiny but ended up having my parents come stay the night and watch him. My husband almost died of a blood clot. Thank God I was there. You need someone to be there to be your advocate in case you cant be. I kept telling my husband to go home whenever I woke up after my surgery, but every time, he was still there. He didn't go home til after 10pm and was there by 8am the next morning. He helped me walk, and I was much more comfortable with him than the nurses. Even though they were great, hes still my husband you know?

I didn't need/want anyone to stay overnight, but I sure did want someone there when I woke up and went to my room. After I was settled in I guess I could have one without someone.

I told my hubby he didn't have to stay with me and he said "don't even think about it! if something happens to you I need to be there!" So, he will be there.

I have never wanted anyone with me at the hospital..I usually tell them to drop me off at the door and pick me up at the door. I hate entertaining everyone around me. Plus If Im going to have gas like they say....Id rather have it alone ! :)

I am going to MX alone on Wednesday. He definitely would have come with me, but I just wanted to sleep when I wanted, watch movies when I wanted, fart when I wanted, lol. With him there, I would have been worried he was bored, if he had eaten...

I'm getting sleeved on the 13th and my husband is staying home to take care of the kids. I needed a ride so my mom will take me. I just want to be alone and relax and sleep but my mom insists on sitting by my bed and reading and cross stitching. I have told her I'm just going to want to sleep anyway and to please just drop me off at the hospital but she won't listen. She's drivin me crazy!!!!

My mom wants to go too...she's pouting because I said no. My husband will have no problem leaving. :)

Thanks for all the input. My kids are going to be taken care of, my parents are going out of town and are taking the kids with them. I still tried to tell my hubby to stay home, I really don't want to worry about how bored, uncomfortable he is, or if he's eaten. And my hub can be a bit of a complainer! Definitely do NOT want to deal with that. Although he keeps saying i'm crazy and he's going to be there. I still might try to convince him to spend the night elsewhere, because he'll probably drive me nuts. lol :)

I am going to Mexico alone. I really just don't want the responsibility of anyone else being with me. I don't want to have to think about whether they have eaten' date=' are tired, etc. I think you will be fine without him.[/quote']

I am glad I brought my wife. She did all the popscicle footwork for me. But she was the one who made sure nothing went wrong in mexico. Even with all the medical training that I have I was totally out of it for 3 days due to the initial pain and trying to focus on getting fluids in and keeping the pain away.

I am going back to Tijuana as soon as she graduates college to get her sleeve done. I will be the popscicle runner this time lol.

As a husband, there would be NOTHING my wife could do or say to have me not be there. PERIOD. As a patient, I do have a concern about her well being, that she will eat, that she will get some rest, that she wouldn't spend her time worrying. I'll leave that choice to her, and I'll be ok with her choice. I've actually recommended that she go home late and come back early. The hospital is 15 mins from our house.

I didn't want my hubby to stay with me' date=' but ended up being glad he did. The night nurse was incompetent. She spilled pain medication on me when she tried to change it out in the machine, almost pulled my tube out, and then fell on me when she tripped over the bed. I told my DH "you need to stay with me, they might kill me". Thankfully, the day nurse was extremely professional!![/quote']

Omg! That sounds like a scary experience! I think I would have gotten the charge nurse to assign a new nurse to me!

My mom wants to go too...she's pouting because I said no. My husband will have no problem leaving. :)

Congrats on your surgery today, Looking Ahead. Sending lots of positive energy your way.