Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been taking NSAIDS, Celebrex, most recently, since 2004. Prior to the operation, my surgeon said I would need to go off Celebrex for two months after surgery. I will be four weeks post surgery on Monday and I am about to die from the pain. Well, not really but you know what I mean. Even though I've lost 26 pounds since May 1, I feel even worse then before because of the pain and there is no way I could even begin to think of exercising. I'm always in pain but the Celebrex dulls it a little.

I've always had a stomach of steel taking NSAIDS such as the Celebrex and often Excedrin or Advil in addition and never have had stomach issues from it. Since surgery, I've had no indigestion or heart burn. My question is, has anyone gone back onto NSAIDS after surgery and if so, how soon after surgery did you restart them? I see the PA for a four week follow-up on Monday and I plan on begging and pleading.

While I can take vicodin, its kind of hard to work coherently and worse yet, drive my 1 1/2 hour one way commute when taking them.

I have been taking NSAIDS, Celebrex, most recently, since 2004. Prior to the operation, my surgeon said I would need to go off Celebrex for two months after surgery. I will be four weeks post surgery on Monday and I am about to die from the pain. Well, not really but you know what I mean. Even though I've lost 26 pounds since May 1, I feel even worse then before because of the pain and there is no way I could even begin to think of exercising. I'm always in pain but the Celebrex dulls it a little.

I've always had a stomach of steel taking NSAIDS such as the Celebrex and often Excedrin or Advil in addition and never have had stomach issues from it. Since surgery, I've had no indigestion or heart burn. My question is, has anyone gone back onto NSAIDS after surgery and if so, how soon after surgery did you restart them? I see the PA for a four week follow-up on Monday and I plan on begging and pleading.

While I can take vicodin, its kind of hard to work coherently and worse yet, drive my 1 1/2 hour one way commute when taking them.

I have gone back to NSAIDS as long as I take the nexium. Suspect you'll be able to do so as well. I didn't need it til 6 weeks post surgery tho.

I guess this varies for each surgeon, because mine said never. And my MD said I would never be able to take arthritis meds. She has given me a steroid shot for my heel spurs.

My surgeon tells all his sleeve patients no NSAID's ever again once you've been sleeved - only thing I'm allowed to take is Tylenol.

I take NSAIDs with my surgeons approval. I was cleared to start taking them a month after surgery.

At least I know my surgeon allows them because that was one of the first questions I asked him when we first met. Monday is four weeks since surgery and I have my fingers crossed that I can start them again and skip the next month of severe pain.

Thanks for all of your input!

I had Gastric Sleeve surgery one week ago. A day after getting discharged from the hospital, I experience a systematic flare-up of rheumatoid arthritis. The only good joint left is one wrist. I am completely locked up and cannot get off the couch or lift myself to walk. The pain is out of control and the only thing my Dr. will allow is oxycodone. No NSAIDs for a month. I am in agony. Does anyone know of any natural or alternative remedies I can try to reduce the inflammation? Surgery recovery is going smoothly; it's this secondary condition that is horrendous. HELP!

I had Gastric Sleeve surgery one week ago. A day after getting discharged from the hospital, I experience a systematic flare-up of rheumatoid arthritis. The only good joint left is one wrist. I am completely locked up and cannot get off the couch or lift myself to walk. The pain is out of control and the only thing my Dr. will allow is oxycodone. No NSAIDs for a month. I am in agony. Does anyone know of any natural or alternative remedies I can try to reduce the inflammation? Surgery recovery is going smoothly; it's this secondary condition that is horrendous. HELP!

Have u asked a naturopathic doc? Maybe arnica or traumeel...I used that after I fell splat on my knee on concrete and it swelled up like a balloon...ok a lemon...but still...and it helped somewhat...but not with the pain. Nothing helped the pain. I'm sorry you're having this pblm now. Hope it eases quickly

ok, now i'm stressing. i take celebrex daily and my surgery is coming up on 7/18/12...my doc/nurse have not said anything about it. ?? i'm going to have to ask. i was told which meds to stop before surgery but celebrex was never mentioned.

i don't know what i'm going to do, keeps my neck/shoulder in check and keep my Migraine as bay.

here is one tip...stay away from grain...grain bring pain, also i've read briggs vinegar cider was good for joint points but did nothing for me.

good luck all! please keep us posted.

Celebrex is a very powerful NSAID (I've taken it off and on over the last several years for low back pain). When I asked my surgeon about my ability to take it, after surgery, he said that they (the medical community) really don't know whether or not its safe after VSG surgery....because there's just not the data to back it up. He seemed to think it should be ok, as long as the capsule is opened, and the powder mixed in with something like applesauce.....however....he can't guarantee it won't cause a marginal ulcer. I have been incredibly fortunate to have had no low back pain since before my surgery....something I have been extremely grateful for!! I have Celebrex on-hand, but will likely never use it, if I can absolutely avoid doing so. I've seen the results of a marginal ulcer second-hand, and hope I NEVER experience that myself!! Other NSAIDS (advil, ibuprofen, etc) are absolutely off-limits, according to my surgeon....and I will never take one again. If Tylenol doesn't fix a Migraine, I'll just let time take care of it. Nothing will push me to risk a bleeding ulcer, in exchange for some ibuprofen.

Celebrex is a very powerful NSAID (I've taken it off and on over the last several years for low back pain). When I asked my surgeon about my ability to take it, after surgery, he said that they (the medical community) really don't know whether or not its safe after VSG surgery....because there's just not the data to back it up. He seemed to think it should be ok, as long as the capsule is opened, and the powder mixed in with something like applesauce.....however....he can't guarantee it won't cause a marginal ulcer. I have been incredibly fortunate to have had no low back pain since before my surgery....something I have been extremely grateful for!! I have Celebrex on-hand, but will likely never use it, if I can absolutely avoid doing so. I've seen the results of a marginal ulcer second-hand, and hope I NEVER experience that myself!! Other NSAIDS (advil, ibuprofen, etc) are absolutely off-limits, according to my surgeon....and I will never take one again. If Tylenol doesn't fix a Migraine, I'll just let time take care of it. Nothing will push me to risk a bleeding ulcer, in exchange for some ibuprofen.

Thanks for this post...I ve been taking ibuprofen for inflamation when I needed it...but in moderation. You've given me food for thought

Thanks for all of the info, everyone! It seems that there is a wide range of opinions on this. Some docs allow certain NSAIDS 1 month post-op and some say never again. This is a little concerning! I tried drinking tart cherry juice (very diluted) yesterday, and according to some it is a natural anti-inflammatory. Doc approved. We will see. Still in pain but I'm hopeful this will help.

Thank you all for this info. I have been a little worried about this too. I have taken both Celebrex and steroids off and on for the last few years. I am hoping that once I loose the weight they will no longer be necessary. If your knee hurts, there is an injection called Synvisc that seems to help a great deal. You all may want to check into that. I believe there are several types- long lasting, etc. My father in law has used it for RA with excellent results in his knees. I am not sure if it works on other areas, but you could check with your doc. I do know it's expensive and has to be done in the office. All of the people that have had it, have loved it. Also, check to see how you can change your diet (not like it hasn't been changed enough). Sometimes eating gluten free helps.

I would have to go on narcotics full time and probably go on disability if it weren't for drugs like Celebrex. I cannot function without it. I've already had four out of five diseased joints replaced so the shots in the joint aren't going to help. I also have nerve problems. So, the alternative is to take this drug that is like magic to me or drop out of life... No contest for me.

Each person has to make the same decision about quality of life and if taking an NSAID is worth the risk. There are risks pre-surgery too that we all had to consider. I have never had an issue with ulcers or stomach upset. Pre-surgery, I would take the Celebrex and Advil together and never had a problem. I know, BIG NO NO. I won't do this now but I will continue the Celebrex so that I can try to have a reasonable assemblance of a life. Anyone considering NSAIDs should talk to their doctors about NSAIDs post-sleeve but only YOU know how well your life is going to be with or without these drugs.