Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term reflux?

I seem to produce a lot of mucus too. I have never PB'd, just get mucusy and the weird throat stuff.

I'm not sleeping well due to this and my throat feels weird while sleeping and waking up in the morning. I've been on Protonix for a month now though. Did Dr. Abkin prescribe the Nexium or did you go to the gastro?

Yea, Nino is good, but I hardly get him. Quite often I'm put on hold and after 5 minutes I call back and they don't even remember they had me on hold...they just forgot about me. This happens to me almost every time I've called.

The gastro prescribed the nexium. I really like him. Sometimes I feel like the band doctors don't really read the reports, I think he had me mixed up with someone else because he said something about a small abrasion on the esophagus, no one had said anything about that before but who knows. I think they have too many patients , seeing them on 1 day and surgery the other 3 is a bit crazy.

Hi ladies,

Just a thought; if you're noticing extra mucus in your sinuses and ears why not try a decongestant medication? I have a theory that banding interferes with our regular drainage ability and any increase in mucus secretion (such as due to allergies) can cause problems. Reducing the production of mucus might help, I'm thinking.

I agree with Alexandra. I had a cold last week and the increased mucus made a HUGE difference in my band pressure AND in my esophagus pain. I went to the doctor and found that almost everyone who has an increase in mucus also has some band related problem - sometimes very small, but noticeable, sometimes very big and obvious.

Seppi, my doctor also told me that staying on Protonix or Nexium long term is NOT a problem. There is no reason that you can't have a fill if Protonix, Nexium, or any other acid pump inhibitor can control your heartburn/reflux/esophogeal irritation.

I made the mistake of letting a LBT members post make me worry about the long term issues involved with acid reflux/esophogeal irritation and my band. My doctor - whom I should have called immediately when I began to worry - assured me that there is no reason that I should worry that my reflux/irritation issue will cause enough problems that I will lose my band and that I am no more likely to have a band problem as someone without esophageal issues AS LONG AS IT IS CONTROLLED.

I am back on Nexium, I have no more pain, and I will get a small fill next week with the approval of my doctor.

If your doctor is too busy, or for some reason doesn't want to deal with your problem, I strongly suggest finding a new doctor. Don't lose your band because your current doctor won't help you.

I am worried about the effects of long term reflux. It is under control, most of the time. I still have it times, usually without a reason that I can find. My band doctor is the one that is concerned about the onset. He wants Me to get my esophagus checked again to make sure that everything is OK. I have a very small fill and couldn't tolerate anything more, nothing was going down. I am worried about that as well, the band is suppose to be adjustable but mine isn't really working that way right now. I am hoping that it will resolve itself and I can get on with this.

Hey Seppi,

My systoms lessen when I eat very very slowly and lightly.

Weird thing is I can now eat a whole sandwhich. Is that a normal portion for a 1.5 cc in a 4 band????

I'm so afriad I have a slip or something.

I was all set to see the doc today when I got it in my head to call and confirm my appointment. (It's an hour drive for me)

SO I call on my cell and found out my appointment was canceled and no one called. That's twice in a row my appointment has been canceled. So I still don't have any answers to offer you (or myself).

I cannot believe they didn't call you. I have never had that happen but I have gotten there to find out they are running hours behind. Thank god you called first. How do they cancel an appointment when he only has office hours 1 time a week. On another note, I have been following all the advice here, eating smaller amounts, slowly, and being careful with the foods that cause or could cause problems. I also read (here) to try drinking a warm liquid before eating. This seems to help with the mucus. Seems like I would have thought of that. Anyway, hope you get in soon. Good luck, let me know how you make out. There are times when I can eat a lot, but not an entire sandwich. Ask the doctor for the test that checks for a slip, I doubt you have a slip you probably need another fill.

I know, it's getting ridiculous. I am really concerned why I can eat a full sized sandwich after being so swollen just a few weeks ago after my first fill.

Found out about this site last night at support group and wanted to check it out. Banded 1/20/2006 and have lost 94 lbs. Happy to have found everyone and looking forward to some good info.

I have a Lap-Band surgery was done 12/02 by Dr. Rumbaut. No problems at first had a second fill about 12 months after and it was too tight had it removed. Waited about 4 months had another fill everything was fine. Had a forth fill everything was fine for about two weeks after and then all hell broke lose and I had to have that removed.

I have not had a fill since 2004. I am still having restriction and now I have GERD it just came on all of a sudden I wake up in the middle of the night coughing on my own vomit. I am taking meds for the acid and I have cut out coffee etc. Some nights it is fine other nights the same thing happens I find that I cannot lay on my stomach at night because I will wake up coughing.

I am not sure what to do I cannot afford to have the band removed or fixed any suggestions.

Michele

In my experience, heartburn and reflux are self-perpetuating situations. They don't go away by themselves. Medication and behavioral changes can help, but each time it's happened to me I've had to have an unfill to resolve the situation. I don't mind, though; it's way easier to deal with a little extra hunger than it is to go through life sleeping in a recliner or worse, not sleeping at all.

I just had a total unfill to resolve reflux, again. I think these episodes are brought on by allergies, but once they're in swing there's just not much I can do about it. The swelling seems to get worse and worse until I can't get medication or even much liquid down, and that's unacceptable.

Michele, unfortunately the band does require maintenance and it's something you really will have to get checked out at some point. There are many reasons you might be having reflux now; it's not necessarily that you have a slip or something like that. But you won't know until you get it looked at.

Good luck!