Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Blues Forum!

First off thank you so much SLEEVERS for posting your success and motivating the PRE-OPER'S that are here looking forward to our sleeves.

I'm a bit down today my doctor did not tell me to lose any weight but I get my weight in every month and we discuss what I'm changing in my eating. But no matter what I do I don't lose a pound I started at 279 I'm eating less, drinking more Water, Protein first then veggies then carbs and Portion Control and I actually gained I'm was 282 and freaking out that my insurance will not appove me because of this.

I have not been posting questions because I'm constantly on the forum reading questions and I'm pretty sure I will have lots of questions post-op but I'm so tired all the time I have no energy my doctor found my Iron was low and my Vitamin D also I don't know what else to do other than modifying my food making it healthier.

I'm not a fast food eater, I occasionally have a diet soda and I love coffee but I'm down to 1 cup every other day, I'm eating first driking 20 minutes later and even practicing my chewing slowly and not scarffing it down as if my life depended on it LOL. what else can I do guys I want to at least lose 10-15 pounds before surgery any advice would be greatly appreciated.

and even though I'm not posting questions all the time I'm always here lurking and soaking up on everything. I'm so ready for this I have 3 month to go on my 6 month requirement.

****Sorry I meant my title to say Post-Op Blues only***

Don't get discouraged when I started the program I weighed 238 after meeting with the nut and following her diet I actually gained 5lbs and decided to start the liquid diet. Since then I have lost 7lbs. I recommend starting the liquid diet even if not ever day do it 3x a week and you should definitely add some physical activity into your daily routine...good luck!

Thank you for you kind words and understanding I will try the liquid diet and see how that works I was even thinking of doing Atkins for a while and I do exercise every day hopefully this will help :)

I gained 10 lbs at my fourth appt. I only list two of them by the 6th appt and ins still approved me. My office said as long as you do all the apts it will be fine. Trg not to stress too much:)

Do you use MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople or some other way of tracking exactly what you're eating & burning with exercise? That helps a lot with accountability.

Even if you're tracking things, you just need to be patient with your body. We throw a lot of things at our bodies during pre-op & post-op times & they need time to adjust.

The other thing is - are you weighing first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom & without clothes (or with the same clothes)?? If you're weighing at your doctor's office and you're wearing different clothes and your appointment is at a different time of day and you've eaten different foods, then you can't just go by what their scale says!

There are SO many things that influence our weight! I recently wrote about this on my blog - the direct link to that particular post is http://mygastricsleevelife.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-thoughts-about-dreaded-scale.html - if you want to read it.

The other thing is - are you doing measurements? Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but the inches do.

Basically, keep doing the best you can & have patience! It is much easier after surgery than before, but you can still have success before surgery too. Even if the scale doesn't cooperate, you're learning great skills now that will help you after surgery too! Keep up the good work & don't stress, especially since stress makes us hold on to weight too!!

Thanks "Wolf3749" that makes me breath better. and "Mygastricsleevelife" no i'm not I will try myfitnesspal and see if that helps. thank you both for your words and advice I'm so glad i'm part of this community

I got in trouble w/ nut yesterday. I had my notebook (food diary ) filled out for the past month. Towards the end i found MFP but continued the food diary. She was frowning, and looked so exasperated! She said "this is all over the place! " as she flayed the pgs with her thumb then slammed it shut. I'd lost 3 lbs BTW. I think she was not happy that my meal times were not always the same (but darn close), and that i am not having fruit, veg and dairy at every meal, and why am i drinking prot shakes sometimes???? So i pinned her down on just how many calories etc does she expect? (so i can fill in MFP goals). She wants 1300 cal/carb 200/prot 60/fat 30. I'm discouraged and feel sorry for myself!! If i could follow this plan, i wouldn't be Needing WLS! Geez. I'm tempted to just BS the next month's food diary and do my own thing. I only have one more appt with her, thank goodness.

If your goal is to drop pounds chiefly, I would say lower your cabs to no more than 20gm per day and ensure they are from low glycemic sources. Essentially the induction phase of the Atkins diet. It is not a sustainable diet, but I've never met someone who didn't lose weight with it.

For more specific advice, track everything you put in your moth for two or three days and post it here. It's very easy to think you're doing everything right, and be missing something someone else might be able to point out. Do you know how many calories you're eating? Protein first, and smaller portions, isn't necessarily going to but you into a calorie defecit. You'll need to figure your BMR (google BMR calculator), and then get a good idea of your daily calorie intake, and adjust it accordingly. We can help, but lots of info is missing. :)

Thanks Wheetsin. The calculator said 1972 cal to lose wt.

Thanx Wheetsin I will def try I was thinking already about doint Atkins lets see how it goes. Great advice