Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New with questions, questions and more questions

Hi all, I am not banded yet. I am waiting untill 09/11 for the next seminar to get the ball rolling. I have been looking here and getting some great information. As I look around I am wondering why two people can be banded on the same date and have as much as a 30lb difference in thier weightloss? I know that not everyone looses at the same rate but I thought is would at least be closer. I guess that my concern is that I want to loose as much as I can and I am wondering if there is somethings that works better than others.

Thank you.

Greetings Idahobeauty!

One thing I will counsel immediately is don't ever compare anything between two bandsters. They have different builds, metabolisms, dietary habits. Everyone's journey is individual.

Also consider that a person who is trying to set 90 pounds may not lose as fast as someone shedding 200 pounds.

As for whether some people do better with the band than others. Of course there is that aspect. It's possible to cheat the band (as you will hear at the seminar). The band can be less effective for people with a really sweet tooth. You can still eat just as much ice cream post-op as you could pre-op.

The seminar is excellent. Also consider attending the support group at St Al's. 2nd Tuesday of every month. You can meet a lot of local bandsters in varying stages (from pre-op to several years post-op).

Good luck!

Height, starting weight, and committment to the bandster rules and lifestyle changes are three variables I can name right off the bat.

Everyone is different. Everyone get's different results.

Unlike bypass, the band has no malabsorptive benefits (or drawbacks). You lose weight through either a restrictive diet, or reasonable diet and excercise. If you don't put in much work, your band won't help you much. If you do your part of the work, the band will work just as hard.

The lap band is a tool to HELP you lose weight. It won't take the weight off of you all by itself.

Hope this helped to answer your question.

Thank you both very much. Dawg, I am planning on attending the support groups that p'nut has been so gracious to invite me to. I am glad to see that there is support in Boise. I totally plan on exercise and self control. I was just curious as to why the huge difference. I can see what is meant by the 90lb vs. 200lb it makes sense. I have also read that the exercise and Water can help with the skin sagging. Do you find this to be true? My whole plan is lots of water (as allowed), gym membership with personal trainer who is familiar with banding and healthier choices for meals. Anything else that is recommended. Thanks again for your help.

Sing with me...

"Coz ya gotta have friends".

Support is also very important, almost as important as all the other things named. I consider being habitually overweight as an eating / mental disorder. There are some who suffer metabolic issues of course but for the most part, we eat for all the wrong reasons.

Having folks who can empathize 100% and known exactly what your surgery was like is incredibly helpful. Knowledge is power and you can learn from the older bandsters.

Your plan is sound. Water, Exercise, Moderate food choices. Just never forget support :confused:

Welcome! This is a great site for information and support!

You've received excellent advice so far, and I want to emphasize the caution not to compare yourself to another bandster...it just sets you up for all kinds of emotional grief. The important thing for you to do is the best you can do...THAT DOES NOT MEAN BEING PERFECT.

Come here for support, ideas, and friendship and much luck to you!

Cindy

Some people post their starting weights when they begin the pre-op diet while others use the weight right before surgery as the starting weight. Also, some people hold a LOT of Water and can easily lose 20 pounds in a 2 week post-op diet.

Restriction is another variable. Some people get a first fill at 4 weeks, some at 6, others at 8 or more. Some are partially filled at the time of surgery and some never need a fill.

Focus on YOU and what you're doing... measuring/weighing food, exercising, logging food, etc. Comparisons deprive you of your uniqueness and can hault motivational levels.

Great info everyone!!! This is exactly what I wanted to know. I love it here!!! I already have it in my mind that I WILL SUCCEED! I am needing to loose 104lbs and come hell or highwater I will get that done. I am so glad to know that there is so much support here.