Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical Assistant Course

Hey!

Just curious to know if anyone took the course/ is a medical assistant and how the job is. Im 24 and attempting to not work $8/hr jobs. Just looking into doable careers

Thx!

Why not focus yourself on getting your RN license. But mean while, working as a medical assistant would help get you through. ;)

I agree with Dorie, if you are interested in health care maybe use the medical assisting to create a path to a larger area. PLEASE don't get sucked into a non- accredited, super-expensive program. Yes, most community colleges offer a certificate program which would be much more reasonable. I'm not a nurse but would recommend nursing or some other allied health career that might provide you with some longevity. I am a sonographer with an associate's degree from a community college and make a decent living. I started out at $24 an hour back in 2007 and now average between $36-$41 and hour. Tough work though! But so is medical assisting...

Have u ever thought about emt/paramedic field?? Ive been a paramedic for about 3 years now and was an emt for abt 3 years as well. (You have to be an emt before paramedic). I love working in this field. I was thinking about moving on to nursing but I cant stand being in 4 walls. No two days are alike in this field and I love that. Im out and about no supervisor over my shoulder.Just me and my partner.I love the downtime (while still getting paid). Yes its stressful just a s any other career but I find so many perks with it. Good luck on whatever u choose.

My brother is an emt in nyc I doubt id pass the physical...im not very good at college classes never was..I get very overwhelmed..I figure id do medical assisting for a few years till I get myself together and some money saved up

Hi! It is important to do the research before you spend any time, money and/or energy on a career field. Please feel free to use any of the software programs on the following website -- I would suggest using Eureka, Choices Explorer and eVoc Bios to look up health care/health science pathways.

http://cypresscollege.edu/services/cpc/siteLicensed.aspx

I'm the Career Center Coordinator at Cypress College and a credentialed GCDF (Global Career Development Facilitator) and have seen so many students over the years pick a major or choose a career field based on all the wrong reasons. Check out your local community college to meet with a career counselor; take some valid and reliable career assessments to find out your interests, values, skills, work values, personality and work preferences; or take a career exploration class. As mentioned in a previous post, make sure you find a legitimate, accredited program to get the training. It is a great idea to do an "informational interview" which simply means talking to someone in the field you are interested in to find out the truth about the career. If you Google "informational interview" you can find out some great questions to ask, or I will gladly send you a pdf of questions we have our students use.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Deann

I am in school to be a medical assistant. I graduate this September. I figured it os a great career choice and if I decide to go for my RN license, I have a foot in the door.

I graduate in September, my course was 11 months long and costs around $16,000. I have Pell grants and student loans, financial aid--all that good stuff to help pay for me to go. There are some programs that are only a couple of months long and cost a lot less, but you do not learn as much as I have. I do vital signs, blood draws, injections, EKG's, insurance billing and a lot more. I just wish I would have done this sooner in life. My goal: me and the hubby work during the day while the kids are in school and then we do the family thing afterwards. Plus, if I want to get my RN license, I already have a foot in the door.

The program im registering for is 12,900 plus I get pell grant, student loans..so id owe 7,900..im doing part time nights which is 13 months long rather then 7 months fulltime day. I got so freaked out when I saw the book size that I opted to do part time so I don't get overwhelmed..is the course work in your program intense as it looks?

It's easier than you think. I was freaking a little when I saw the course books, but I used a few of the books for a couple of classes. You got this :-)

My issue came yesterday when I needed to buy scrubs for school...they aren't very flattering on fat people with big feet

I went to the Salvation Army, Walmart, and I looked on Craigslist. I didn't want to pay $30 for a shirt or pants from other stores.

That's what I ended up paying..I was desperate because I signed up on a Monday and the class started that Thursday. Im just glad I got something in my size

Congrats on starting school :D