Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Think I Got My First Case Of Dumping!

I was told puking is in fact a sign of dumping

I'm 4 weeks out and def have dumping. I actually hoped for it. I didn't recognize it right away. It happened a couple of times but I learnt my lesson. My hubby even said stop touching the same hot stove!!! It's a process.

Dumping is only with a. Sleeve

We, as sleevers, do not experience dumping. But I completely understand the thrill of pooping! Bm's are few and far between for us

We sleevers can & do get dumping syndrome, just not as often as bipass. My surgeon gave me a warning about new studies & an explanation of the process as a warning during my pre-op exam. I have had two episodes so far & don't want to experience it again. Us sleevers are not dumping exempt, but we can learn from it & use it to our benefit.

My surgeon told us that sleeve patients don't get dumping. Only gastric bypass patients to, but sleeve patients can symptoms that closely mimic dumping.

Gee that's odd, since my surgeon said we most definitely do have dumping syndrome and it's no different than the way RNY (gastric bypass) patients dump.

My daughter had gastric bypass, and she was the one that told me what was wrong with me the first time it happened to me. She said "mom, you're dumping"

I think what we are seeing here is while there is controversy over what dumping is for sleevers vs. bypass is the simple fact that since the surgeries do different things with the stomach and intestines, then the actual effect of "dumping" is therefore slightly different but still the same PURPOSE for both. As we all know sleevers have nothing done with the pylori or intestines whereas bypass does. So therefore you can probably conclude that the symptoms and/or severity for dumping would be different in people with varying surgeries. But the purpose the body has for this process is the same, to get rid of food it is seeing as toxins.

I was researching RNY long before I even knew about the sleeve gastrectomy and I have read in some places that regurgitating is a symptom and other places claim it isn't. I think it's safe to say that if we believe our body is giving an act of getting rid of something we put in that it doesn't think should be in our bodies, that's along the line of a dump and we don't have to really debate what it is and what it isn't, right?

So to the OP, I'm so happy for you on your dump and that you feel more at east about another means of self control. You're doing great!!!

Well, I have no doubt that the people who are experience dumping are in fact feeling an unpleasant sensation. I also think that there are some sleevers who don't have this same feeling.

For those that are, please consider that there may be different reasons for this happening, and those should be considered also. In the cause and effect equation, there is often more than one cause or even a different cause than suspected. For example, how many of you experiencing dumping have your gallbladders still? Gallbladders process fat, but after a period of a liquid diet or lowfat diet, bile can turn into a sludge and not do what it's supposed to do, which is to break down fat. Gall stones can be super painful, and so a lot of people have their gallbladders out at the time of surgery to avoid problems. If you still have your gallbladder, it may not be breaking down fat well, and you will have diarrhea when you eat fat that is not broken down. If you don't have your gallbladder, the same is true.

Other causes should also be considered and were also mentioned in this thread and include: low blood pressure, high blood pressure, stress, low B12, some Vitamin or mineral deficiency, etc. Diarrhea is also not uncommon in the first few months after surgery. Some of us have an excess of stomach acid as well, which is also a factor.

Also, when you eat a meal, that is often what your body needs to expel what is being kept in the intestines and get that system going. That doesn't mean that you are expelling what you just ate. Just food for thought there.

The brain needs sugar to function and is very efficient at getting it. However, there is no doubt that we as Americans eat way too much sugar and that we would all be better off not eating processed sugary foods and eating fruit and natural sugars instead.

If someone believes that processed sugar is making them sick, then maybe that is a good thing for them. However, I also think there are many of us that can eat the same sugary foods that we used to eat, and we have to face that demon head on and choose not to eat them because we know that, in order to have the lean healthy bodies that we desire, we need to stay away from processed sugar.

I always thought the term "dumping" refers not to what is expelled but rather undigested food traveling from the stomach into the small intestine without being digested fully. Here's the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia....umping_syndrome

I always thought the term "dumping" refers not to what is expelled but rather undigested food traveling from the stomach into the small intestine without being digested fully. Here's the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia....umping_syndrome

That's my understanding of the term too, however, depending upon the food being dumped into the small intestine the results can be dramatic. The intestines, the to best of my knowledge, process serially which is to say that if you small intestine receives something it doesn't want it will send it along as fast as possible and anything in the way will be leaving post haste.

I can state from experience that when I was having these problems I could pass things I had eaten only hours before. Remember, this is essentially undigested food that has taken a rapid trip through the alimentary canal and is remarkably intact.

Ah, DesertRat, nice visual! LOL! You don't want to know what I was picturing as I read that last sentence! Ugh.