Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So...preop Diet Tanked But Lost 5 Lbs.

OK YOU NAUGHTY BOYS!! SHAPE IT UP!!

Patrick- you're doing great! This is the hardest part. Once you're sleeved, things will get a lot easier to handle. During my 2 weeks pre op liquids, several people nearly had some ugly accidents at my hand. ;) (and quit eating Mexicans, even if he WAS your favorite! :lol: )

Disneyteach- You be careful with that new sleeve!! You are only supposed to have a 6 oz capacity, so don't go bustin' it up! You are still in the danger zone. Don't go causing leaks and whatnot, k?

I worry about my boys!! :)

I'm with disneyteach....post sleeve I love to watch the food channel. I know it's weird, but I've also noticed other post of a few other post sleevers who also like to watch. Also please remember it is very important to try to stick to your pre op diet. It is usually the hardest part for most people. I think it was last week a women posted that she had surgery and her doctor was unable to sleeve her because her liver was still to large. I think some of us can get side tracked in regards to the importance of the pre op diet, but a situation like that really puts things in perspective.

Seriously, it is funny. Chopped is my favorite show now. Diners, Dives & Drive ins is my second favorite show. At the same time, I am looking at the ribs on the TV screen wanting one rib, not a full rack. I am learning to cherish four bites of something instead of quantity. Keep pushing forward Patrick! You sound like a guy like me that has a fast food addiction. You would have thought I was a kid going to Disney World, when I hit the mushy stage. I drove through Boston Market and ordered mashed potatoes, like it was 2 big whoppers. Even with mashed potatoes, it didn't go down well. I am finding that butter and greasy food are not my friends. Each one of our stomachs acts differently. Like Dooter said, do not overfill that sucker. I have only done it once. Boy, I had to beat on my chest and lay down.

By the way Dooter, I was told by the nurse and doctor my stomach only fits 4 oz of food, so you have a bigger belly than me. That is messed up. :)

o.O...... 4oz...6oz.... O geez.... I was told my sleeve is 6-8 oz & would likely be closer to 10oz at the year mark.

o.O...... 4oz...6oz.... O geez.... I was told my sleeve is 6-8 oz & would likely be closer to 10oz at the year mark.

Yes, that is true. It will increase a bit. That is when the real work starts! ;)

I didn't read through all of the other posts (just short on time) but I wanted to chime in that YES!! May I dare say that the pre-op diet is the HARDEST part of the entire journey??? You are pretty much eating like you would post-sleeve, without the sleeve to help you out!

Try having some motivational things around to help you stick to it. Pictures/quotes/surgery date/reminders etc. The LAST thing you want to happen is they get you on the table and have to cancel the surgery because they found that your liver in too bad shape to operate around it. That is the whole point of the pre-op diet... to shrink the liver! They have to work under and around it to get to our stomachs and that is just about one of the only reasons a surgery will be started, but not completed.

Good luck! I know it is difficult but tough it out. You will be firmly seated on the loser's bench before you know it!

Quick question.. if they can't operate- do you get your money back? or a 2nd go around? I mean if you took you car in to get it fixed and he put a new engine in and it still didn't run, I wouldn't pay for that lol

Quick question.. if they can't operate- do you get your money back? or a 2nd go around? I mean if you took you car in to get it fixed and he put a new engine in and it still didn't run, I wouldn't pay for that lol

I don't know, but I kinda doubt it. That part is our responsibility, to make sure that we follow the diets and shrink our livers as much as possible. I think it depends on the surgeon. They won't know the true condition of you liver until they are in the operating room... this doesn't happen often then. As long as you are losing, your liver should be shrinking.

Another question.. like how big does a liver get, is someone 600 pounds likely to have a much bigger liver than someone 400 pounds? I mean do I need to lose 100 pounds to be operable? My surgeon has worked on ppl upto 800 pounds he says..

And he does not require a Pre-op diet, so maybe he has a method of getting around the liver or something? lol I don't know but - -I'm self-pre-oping because I want everything to run smoothly and I'm a control freak, and obsessive planner - I have to have everything planned out in advance.

Patrick, you are a trip! LOL. I like you dude. I never thought to ask for my money back. Honestly, if the insurance company is paying, I would figure they would put you on a 6 month strict diet and then allow re-operation. I can't see that happening with any doctor. It cost the insurance company over $20,000, plus a three days hospital stay and all the doctors that visited me and checked on me. I would say they are out $30,000 right now. So my way of thanking the insurance company is by at least following the guidelines. They called me the day after I got out the hospital and when I told them I am no longer diabetic, the insurance company was very happy. The way I look at this, if I am not successful, then other people, like you who want a sleeve, will find it harder through insurance companies to get approval. As I heard, the six month diet requirement came about, because so many people were unsuccessful on the bypass diet. So they wanted to see if patients would stick to a diet for six months. I know bypass patients who were eating whoppers, pizza and full big macs by their second month and eating it regularly.

By the way, I noticed that I mis stated something, Dooter, I apologize. I slipped up and ate two lean cuisine pre-op, not post op. Post op, I have only eaten Soups and liquids. Finally, I am on mushies. No wonder why you thought I was busting my stomach. I am lucky if I get down 1/4 cup of chicken salad. That even feels funny! Yogurt turns into a meal!

I've not heard of a case yet where the surgeon has gotten into the or & called off a VSG surgery. The few that I have heard being cancelled were due to the patient's health (illness, infections) & those were simply rescheduled for a later date.

Seriously, it is funny. Chopped is my favorite show now. Diners, Dives & Drive ins is my second favorite show. At the same time, I am looking at the ribs on the TV screen wanting one rib, not a full rack. I am learning to cherish four bites of something instead of quantity. Keep pushing forward Patrick! You sound like a guy like me that has a fast food addiction. You would have thought I was a kid going to Disney World, when I hit the mushy stage. I drove through Boston Market and ordered mashed potatoes, like it was 2 big whoppers. Even with mashed potatoes, it didn't go down well. I am finding that butter and greasy food are not my friends. Each one of our stomachs acts differently. Like Dooter said, do not overfill that sucker. I have only done it once. Boy, I had to beat on my chest and lay down.

By the way Dooter, I was told by the nurse and doctor my stomach only fits 4 oz of food, so you have a bigger belly than me. That is messed up. :)

Ya, my capacity increased WAY faster than I wanted it too, but I'm steadily losing. I just get kinda hungry some days.

By the way, I noticed that I mis stated something, Dooter, I apologize. I slipped up and ate two lean cuisine pre-op, not post op. Post op, I have only eaten Soups and liquids. Finally, I am on mushies. No wonder why you thought I was busting my stomach. I am lucky if I get down 1/4 cup of chicken salad. That even feels funny! Yogurt turns into a meal!

OOOOHHHHHHH!!!!! WHEW!!!! Ok, that sounds much better! :lol: I HAVE seen people on here saying what they've stuffed down post op, and Im surprised they didn't die! So....I was worried. I'm glad that was not the case. :)

Hang in there with the pre op diet Patrick! I did a 2 week liquid diet with only clears for the last 3 days before surgery, it was tough. But, I stuck with it. I was 410 pounds when I started, 3 weeks out I'm almost to 370. It's worth it!

I kept telling myself that I've had enough food in my lifetime to last 3 lifetimes! I also know that I'll be able to have my favorite foods again, just not the quantity.

This thread was/is very helpful for me. I'm on a pre-op diet and have cheated just about every day. <slaps hand>

But reading this, 1) I realize I'm not alone in feeling this pre-op is HARD WORK, and 2) I definitely wouldn't want the surgeon to decide not to operate because my liver is too large. Perish the thought!!!

So I'm renewing myself and sticking to my pre-op diet so I can be successful. I have to do 2 weeks of liquids because of my BMI. That's HARD for me, but not impossible. I'll appreciate it, once my surgery goes smoothly. ;)

This thread was/is very helpful for me. I'm on a pre-op diet and have cheated just about every day. <slaps hand>

But reading this' date=' 1) I realize I'm not alone in feeling this pre-op is HARD WORK, and 2) I definitely wouldn't want the surgeon to decide not to operate because my liver is too large. Perish the thought!!!

So I'm renewing myself and sticking to my pre-op diet so I can be successful. I have to do 2 weeks of liquids because of my BMI. That's HARD for me, but not impossible. I'll appreciate it, once my surgery goes smoothly. ;)[/quote']

Keep your eye on the prize!

What got us in our current situation isn't good enough to get us where we want to be. The liquid diet is hard, but trust me, if I can do it, anyone can! I was the king snacker! Even when I wasn't hungry.