Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who decides that I am unbalanced???

Hello

This thread is regarding the psych. evaluation that is mandated by my surgeon. I am going to a local psychologist on Monday to be "evaluated." I am nervous about this b/c I dont want to say the wrong thing or reveal too much and then for some reason based on the eval. I am not approved for the surgery. Now, of coarse, I want to be honest, open and be evaluated appropriately and accurately...I was just wondering if there is some info. that maybe I should with hold a bit on or be careful what I say on a particular subject just so that I am not overjudged...Any advice please??????? :rolleyes

I don't think they give you a way to get around it. I wouldn't worry though as long as your doing this for the right reason. In other words I wouldn't say I wanted to lose weight for my boyfriend or something like that.

They are trying to evaluate not you, per se, but whether you have accurately understood and considered the implications of banding surgery on your life. They understand that people who are morbidly obese and trying to get surgery may be depressed, prone to isolation, overcompensating in whatever ways, hell, I'm sure we're all a bit "unbalanced" to some degree. But these counselors are looking for whether you have appropriately assessed your own habits and thought about life post-banding.

So take these days to think hard about your habits and how banding will help you lose weight. If you have realistic expectations, have really understood the consequences of banding, have seriously examined your motives and they center around improving your health (as opposed to pleasing someone else, for example), you have nothing to worry about.

I was evaluated by the Dr. who performed the surgery. I am out-of-town in relation to the surgery clinic....so, after my initial consultation the Dr. phoned me. He asked me questions about my history of dieting, why I think I failed, did I have solid support from immediate family and friends, why did I chose lapbanding. I answered him truthfully.....it took about 20 minutes and he was satisfied that I was a perfect candidate.

Carol

Wow, great timing for this thread. Back in December I had to take the psych test. It was a battery of questions that were all answered on a computer. The questions ranged from what I felt was relevant to the absurd. After completing the test, the counselor put my answers into a program and that program decided whether or not I was a good candidate for banding.

The tests showed depression. I wanted to say "Well duh. I could have told you that and saved myself $400!" Three weeks prior to the psych test, I had, under my primary care doctor's guidance, begun taking Effexor to help with the depression. Since it takes a good six weeks for these kinds of meds to have their full affect, the counselor agreed to allow me to retake the test in another three weeks - which I did and passed.

The band is designed to be a tool. It is not a cure all for the emotional problems which often lead to overeating. Making sure the recepient of the band is going to be capable of using that tool to its maximum potential is much the same as fixing a carpenter's broken hand before putting a hammer in it and expecting him to build a house.

Answer the questions honestly and without worry. Your goal here is to overcome the issues which got you here in the first place. Treating your whole self will help you be more successful in your journey to good health.

Best wishes.

When I took my tests, I couldn't figure out how all of the questions I was asked had anything to do with being banded. Although I passed, the psychologist said I was very depressed, she even asked me several times whether I had ever considered suicide!!!! But she still passed me and I was able to be banded. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just be honest and everything will be fine.

As always, thank you so much for your insights. I do believe in my heart that I am doing this for the right reasons. I want to be healthier for so many reasons and I have tried so many other ways of getting there. I am NOT doing this for anyone but myself, and well, I also want to be healthier for any future children that I have. I see my parents who are overweight, and do not have a high quality of life b/c of the weight.

Honestly, I have a hard time trusting people, and especially a hard time trusting someone who I feel is trying to analyze me. However, it really hit home when you all mentioned that the doctor is trying to see if I am making the best decision for MYSELF and not anyone else. I suppose that especially since I am younger they may be more skeptical of this...

I have had a history of depression and abuse and I guess that I am worried that this will some how be incriminating to me and to the progress of my surgery. Your words have comforted me though, thank you.

The same questions will be asked in dozens of ways dozens of times, so make sure you don't trip yourself up. Just tell the truth. That is the best way to fly through a psych exam. Good luck.

My therapist was great, she needed to know if I was suicidal and did I have a realistic expectation after the surgery....body image, loose skin, eating habits will change

It took me almost 6 months to get an ok from my psych. They determined that I was a binge eater and thought they could change my eating habits with counseling. I bought the books that he told me to buy, I kept a journel on what I ate and when how I felt when I ate different things like that. I truly think most of it was an insurance thing (my insurance covered 100%) I was so glad whe he finally told me that he was going to send my doctor a letter stating I was ready for the surgery.