Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Slow Should I Be Eating?

I read some where that it should take me 5 mins to one ounce of food. Is this true for most of you. My food, Water, mess, etc come back up frequently and I wonder if it's self inflicted with how quick I'm drinking or eating. I try to take my time and feel I'm going slow.

Need some more information. Where are you timeframe-wise post-op? is it everytime? What are you eating? Are you tracking everything you are eating? Are you drinking while eating?

I agree with massindex, kinda need some more information. If you are very new to the sleeve you should be eating very, very slowly. I would guesstimate that I ate an ounce every 10 mins, maybe, depending on what it was. If everything is coming up on a regular basis than I would definitely try slowing down... and in the meantime call your doctor to make sure nothing is wrong.

I'm 11 months out and I eat the same way I did after day one. I think it is a good method and has been working for me.

I take a bite and put my utensil down. Chew well and swallow. I assess how that felt. If all feels good, I go for another bite. If it doesn't feel good, and I have only had one or two bites, I wait. If it was a new food I have never tried post-sleeve, perhaps I am not ready for that and move on to something else, but if it is a familiar food, then I wait and give my stomach some more time to settle. If after taking another bite, I don't feel well, I am done with that meal.

How long does it take? Sometimes quite awhile. Last night having Rotisserie chicken and fried potatoes was about 45 minutes for about 3 oz of chicken and 6 oz of potatoes. First one to start eating and last one to finish. No big deal. It was tasty. Had ice cream with berries about an hour later. That was about a 10 minute snack with about half a cup. I have to admit, though, I did not put my spoon down while eating the ice cream. I KNOW my tummy can handle that!!

I know I go slow and I am OK with that.

So ... how long should it take? It depends ... it takes as long as it takes. Don't push it. What's the point?

I am still pretty new - so others may have more info or suggestions than me - but here is what I do - I am 2 1/2 months out and take very small bites - set utensil down - set a timer for 30 seconds and chew for at least that long - start a 2 minute timer - sometimes more than once per bite if what I'm eating seems heavy or something - take another bite when I'm ready - I never drink while eating I follow the no liquid for 30 before and 30 after a meal - I have not tried bread rice or raw veggies yet - and I don't eat sweets - I have not puked and haven't found anything I can't eat yet - I also don't eat more than 20/30 minutes at each meal - I may get 5 bites I may fewer - I don't know if this has helped at all

It's not everything...depends on my day. eggs, and grits all 4 bites came up i took about 10 mins to eat those 4 bites but I either couldn't handle it or I ate to fast. Same with Protein Shake that morning. I may have taken a few sips faster than i should so it was either me sippin to fast or the shake itself. I know it's

Trial and error.