Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Foods Making Me Sick

First of all, 5 months post-op and 80# down! (woot!woot!) I was lucky in that I have had no real complications after surgery; only vomitted a few times! Prior to surgery I loved ice cream (it was my stress food!) so I tried to drink a shake on the mushies... The minute I got a few sips in, I knew it was a mistake! I started on Protein Shakes that I mixed with milk and only a few minutes after taking sips I was very sick. To explain "very sick" I mean that I feel like I could pass out; all energy has left my body. So, needless to say I have given up milk altogether (I stick with soy!). What's weird is that yogurt (in moderation) and cheese seem to do fine on my stomach? Anyone else have this problem or know what it's related to?

Also, sometimes when I eat (it doesn't matter what really, because I have tried to narrow the foods down) my heart starts to race, I start to sweat, I feel weak and I feel like I might throw up. It takes some time, but the feeling usually passes. I know it is trial and error (this food thing) after surgery but I was just curious if anyone else has similar issues.

It could be lactose intolerance, but I don't think I would be able to eat cheese or yogurt? And I know my other issues sound like dumping, but I thought you dumped on certain foods (as in the same foods make a person dump).

Also, I would like to add that I have no problem with cutting foods out of my diet that make me ill but the dumping seems to be random and I'm not sure what to cut out!

If you have any suggestions, please help! Thanks!

I'm having a problem with Protein but can do a little frozen yogurt. Something about the good bacteria and amount of lactose in things very and make it more tolerable. Idk about the cheese thing though. Try keeping a food diary to see what is making you sick. Carbs/sugars maybe? Even fruits have them naturally

I am about 5 weeks post op and all of a sudden these past few days I can't seem to tolerate milk either but cheese goes down fine too....doesn't make any sense to me, but I do remember my Nutritionalist saying that if something doesn't agree with you, try it again in a few weeks.

I have switched over to vanilla Silk milk light in the meantime and it goes down fine. Strangest thing. Good luck to you!

The body was never designed to consume dairy. Not saying we can't have any at all, but drinking milk eating a lot of cheese, etc is simply unhealthy.

Here is something to ponder, can you find one animal anywhere in the world (except humans) that beyond infancy consume milk (or milk products) as a part of their normal diet? I haven't. That (along with the numerous cases of lactose intolerance) leads me to believe that we simply are notdesigned to handle it. A bit of cheese ,a pat of butter.... All good. But in any real quantity, not so good. (and to think, I am a cheesecake addict)

Oh Yeah, congrats on the 80# loss......... W00T w00t