Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Girl Talk (menstrual related)

I've been told it's normal to miss a period or have a late one after surgery or after quick weight loss. I have the most normal periods in the world but now I'm over a week late. I feel cranky and blobby (just made that word up.) I usually get cramps in my low belly, but I'm having them in my port side. I'm sure it's all normal, but I'd feel much better if the darn thing would get here. No, there's no way I'm pregnant. I haven't seen any period-related posts. Does everyone have a few rough periods right after the surgery? I'm one month post-op as of yesterday.

This is another one of those things that is unique to each individual. Any trauma, which surgery certainly is, can upset your cycle. Add in the hormonal changes that come with rapid weight loss and, well, who knows what will happen?

My periods have been getting slightly more frequent--my cycle used to be 28 days like clockwork and now it's down to 25 or 26. Of course, that may be age-related (I'm getting up there) but the change was quite sudden after surgery. As for the pain, no, I've not felt any difference in cramping related to my band, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Before my surgery my period was non-exsistant. Now I am almost like clock work. not sure about the port pain. but like Alex mentioned it very well could happen. With that being said, I guess anything can knock you off track!

Birdee

Delarla, my first period was scheduled to arrive 4 days after my surgery and it did not happen. The following month it was late by 5 days. But my PMS was strange . I got bloated and my band became very tight I actually lost 3 pounds during that time since all I could do was liquids and yogurt I was so tight . This month is the same thing, the past week I have had this tightness and again I have lost 2 pounds but have not actually started yet but I know it's on it's way. I have the classis symptoms. My Dr. (ortiz) told me this was all normal, rapid weight loss and surgery can delay a womans menstrual cycle, he told me it could take up to 3 months to regulate. Don't worry, I think this is the norm for most of us new bandsters. Hope this helps

Michelle

265/238.5/160ish

Thanks everyone! Michelle, you took the words right out of my mouth. The PMS is really weird, because you get all the symptoms, just no period. I put on a couple pounds last week but they're gone now. I hope they stay the hell away!

I'm having bad port pain today. I'm one month post-op and never had the pain. It's a couple inches below my incision, and just off to the left, so I called my 8-month band buddy and she said it's normal. Gosh, I sure do like when I get answers that say I'm normal!

Love you guys!

Hi Delarla I had the same pain it is like a side ache from running to hard or fast. It is normal according to Dr Ortiz. It has been 9 weeks for me post op and I still have it occassionaly. It was at it's worst 5 days post op up until a month post op. Don't worry your normal!

Finally got my period, and yes, it certainly has effects on the band. It's like my cramps moved up higher and to the left near the port. Definately very uncomfy feeling. Glad it will be over soon. First time late in years. Came about 3 weeks late. Just thought I'd share the info. Truth is, I just felt like avoiding work and came here to look for posts regarding port pain after exercising. Anyone ever do this? Do I need to see the doctor, or should I just rest for a week? Ouch.

DeLarla, I definitely notice port-site pain sometimes after exercising. Not surprisingly, it's worst when the exercise involves abdominal work or twisting.

I take it as a sign to be gentler to that region. It is a foreign object, after all, and I certainly don't want anything to upset it. :cool:

Thanks, Alex. I just wish I would have waited longer to do any exercise that involved my side or ab area. I've been going on awesome walks, which felt great, but no, I just had to push it further. I knew I was pushing too hard, but the fact that I was able to actually exercise without dropping dead of a heart attack was so great that I just didn't stop. Now I can't even walk. Every time my heel hits the ground it sends a spark to my port. My doc said take Motrin a couple days. That goes against the "no Ibuprofen" rule, but that's what they told me to do. I just hope I didn't do "a Donali" and flip my port or something. Don, if you read this, that must have really sucked. You're lucky to be near your doc.

It did really suck. But it was bearable for four months - the first two weeks I thought the pain was going to kill me, but apparently I was wrong. :cool:

After that it was more like a blister on your toe - you're always aware of it, but if you're not irritating it more, it just hurts and doesn't "scream".

Well im kinda in the same situation as you women, only thing is i am to have surgery in four days and have not had a peroid yet, mine is like clock work as well i have taken four pregnancy test all came out negative but still the fear is there i am really stressing out!

Well im kinda in the same situation as you women, only thing is i am to have surgery in four days and have not had a peroid yet, mine is like clock work as well i have taken four pregnancy test all came out negative but still the fear is there i am really stressing out!

My period was 2 weeks late on the day of my surgery, which is very uncharacteristic for me. I think the excitement in the weeks before the surgery threw my cycle out of whack. Then my period started during surgery, and that was very inconvenient. I'm 4 weeks, 3 days post-op and my period is not here yet. Cramps started 3 days ago, but no period. I think it's still out of whack from the surgery. I wouldn't worry if I were you. I'm sure the menstrual delay is from all the stress, nervousness, and excitement that you're experiencing right now.

I've never been like clockwork, but I can usually tell what week it's coming. My cycle was seriously whacked out for the first couple of months after surgery. The first one was really heavy, and then three weeks later, I got it again and it was heavy again. From reading these boards, you know the surgery can disrupt your cycle, but when it happens to you, it's still scary. I thought I was dying for sure.

Give it a little time. :-D