Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self defence?

I was wondering if anyone had any idea's on what form of martial arts is the best form of self defence. I run, on my own a lot. And lately I have been feeling a little insecure (despite the can of deodorant in my hand at all times)

So I am thinking of finding somewhere to learn some form of martial arts as soon as I am healed.

How about a can of pepper/mace instead of the deodorant. One squirt stops a person dead in their tracks and doesn't cause permanent damage. Just something until you can take a defense class.

How about a can of pepper/mace instead of the deodorant. One squirt stops a person dead in their tracks and doesn't cause permanent damage. Just something until you can take a defense class.

I suspect it's prohibited in Aus.

When it comes to martial arts, specialized self defence teachings draw a lot from various martial arts. A sort of amalgam of techniques.

I did Karate for 3 years and I wouldn't recommend it for self defence. Though it certainly teaches methods to disable people in hand to hand combat, it can take many years for you to become skilled enough to safely execute it in the "real" world.

I also did Aikido and would definately promote that as a more self defence oriented style that doesn't necessarily harm your opponent. It translates over to the "real" world well, as do most grappling forms like Judo and JuJutsu.

I guess I would recommend Aikido for a "pure" martial art, but overall a more specialized "real world" self defence course might be advisable.

Of course, you are getting one of the best forms of self defence already.

RUN.

It is prohibited here.

I run on a treadmill partly becuase my bones would collapse if I ran on concrete all the time but partly for safety. When I do go outside, its generally late morning, early afternoon.

A kubaton can indeed bring someone to their knees.

It's also considered an offensive weapon when used. Are those legal in Aus?

I've trained with one a fair bit. If properly used it is excellent. The trick of course with anything, is using it properly.

http://www.kravmaga.com.au/

Aussie Chick look at the Krav Maga website. This is the Israeli Army's official defense system. My 16 y/o daughter takes this.

Myra

That looks awesome!! I have to check that out.

And Dawg is right. The police have only just started using mace/peper spary in the last couple of years.

I will definitely check out Aikido ,Judo and JuJutsu. Thanks.

i have a taser - tazer!

when i go ride my bike i freak myself out thinking there is a boogeyman around the corner. it makes me go faster. i only go during the busy time and in the popular spots so theres always someone close by.

the kubaton looks cool i think i am gonna order some and give them as gifts for christmas! cheap and valuable!

i would go check out the classes offered in your area and see who you would like better. ask if you can watch a few minutes of class.

good luck!

i have a taser - tazer!

when i go ride my bike i freak myself out thinking there is a boogeyman around the corner. it makes me go faster. i only go during the busy time and in the popular spots so theres always someone close by.

the kubaton looks cool i think i am gonna order some and give them as gifts for christmas! cheap and valuable!

i would go check out the classes offered in your area and see who you would like better. ask if you can watch a few minutes of class.

good luck!

Good grief, they aren't allowed Tazers either!!

They aren't even allowed pointy sticks.

Though as a self defence technique, your house keys are quite excellent for gouging into an attackers eyeball.

Grin.

Yup. No sticks or tazers. Hell, I think I could get into trouble for the can of deodorant!

I do run late afternoon whenever I can, but because of DH/DS I usually end up going early in the morning (usually just after the sun comes up) So there are not a lot of people about.

Thanks for all the idea's!

I've had years of tae kwon do, judo, akido, kendo, and some other weapons training... The best thing they have given me is Confidence!!!! I know exactly what to do if someone were to grab me, and because I know what to do, it makes it that much less likely that anything is going to happen to me. I don't *look* like a victim. Much easier to pick on someone les confident.

Plus, with all this extra cortisol pumping through my body, if someone were to even think about attacking me, my hightened senses would pick it up and I'd launch a premtive strike, rip their arms off and beat them with the bloody stump.

I have a kubaton that I carry. It is suppose to be able to bring a man to his knees. Here's the link:

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/kub.htm

They have some very.......interesting products.

cm178.jpgCheckMate Semen Detection Kit

Do you suffer from the nightmare of suspicion and doubt caused by the infidelity of a cheating spouse or have a concern that your child is sexually active? Find out what's really going on the quick and easy way with CheckMate. CheckMate is a patented home use semen detection test kit that instantly detects invisible traces of dried semen or "sperm" that can be found in underwear after sex. This kit was checkmateparts.jpgdesigned exclusively for accurate test results in 5 minutes or less without damaging or staining the article being tested. The test will detect invisible semen stains on undergarments or clothing for up to 2 years if they haven't been washed. It is easy to use and you get 10 tests in each kit. CheckMate's patented semen detection formula also completely eliminates the possibility of false positive test results.

http://www.kravmaga.com.au/

Aussie Chick look at the Krav Maga website. This is the Israeli Army's official self-defense system. My 16 y/o daughter takes this.

Myra

I wholeheartedly agree with Mvpo. Krav Maga is awesome!! We took it for a few months but had to stop because of scheduling issues. We're planning on starting classes again very soon. Believe me, you get a GREAT workout along with the self-defense training.

Good luck!

I've taken Aikido for a few years and IMO it makes for great self defense, especially for women, because it focuses on using someone's momentum against them. I've also taken it in the form of a self-defense class, and we had to practice on our instructors, and I can guarantee that it doesn't take too long to learn a few things that can really help you out if the need should ever arise - how to break someone's hold on you (even if you're up against a wall), how to get someone off you if you're on the ground, where to try and hit and how, etc.