Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Nutritionist Just Called Me An "anomaly" :/

I was sleeved on 3/27. On 4/13 I weighed 296. On 4/30 I weighed 297. On 5/15 I weighed 296. On 5/22 I weighed 297. I can throw in a few more weigh dates (I only weigh at Dr's office), but you get the idea. 8 weeks sleeved, 5.5 weeks stalled. I dont' weigh at home, but I do take measurements, and those haven't changed either.

I just made my 5th call to the nutritionist and was basically told she has no idea what to tell me - she's basically out of ideas and nothing makes sense. She suggested I call one of the other nutritionists, and said "You're doing everything right. There's no reason for that much of a stall this soon. I don't know what to tell you - you're an anomaly."

Last week's suggestion was to up calories specifically in the form of more carbs, and give it a week. No difference.

This week's suggestion is to reduce exercise while trying to add in about 100 more calories and see if a higher net carb count makes any difference.

If that doesn't work, she has no idea what to tell me other than "be patient."

My patience ran out around week 5. I'm too fat for this crap. ;)

She knows I "get it" in terms of what the body is doing, and I understand how weightloss works and what stalls usually amount to, but both of us agree that this is just reaching the point of being ridiculous.

Grrrrrr....

OMG this is so frustrating! You are handling this so well. I admired that! ;)

I understand your pain.

I lost 21lbs the first week and then it all came to a grinding halt. I hovered within a pound (up or down) for over 3 weeks till it finally started moving again. It didn't happen till three things lined up for me.

1. Plenty of Water every day. Had to stay hydrated.
  2. Plenty of Protein, 100 grams a day for me.
  3. Increase in my daily calories. I'm taking in around 1100 calories a day now compared to the 600-700 I had been getting.

I'll be honest, it's not coming off as fast as I thought it would, but it is starting to move again. I only weigh myself once or twice a week now. I was driving myself crazy with doing it daily and not seeing any progress.

I remember one of my many Weight Watchers periods where I lost big the first week and continued to lose. Others lost a respectable amount of weight as well but ONE co-worker lost not a single ounce for almost six weeks. They reviewed her food diary, measured her, interviewed her and had NO idea what was going on. On the fifth or six week she finally lost, and lost BIG. She continue to do well and lose at a "normal" rate after that. No one could explain what happened, but she hung in there and her body finally kicked in and joined the party. Don't give up!!!

G.

I was stalled within the same 2 lbs for 4 1/2 weeks. It was FRUSTRATING! Just keep doing what you're doing. I had to increase my caloric intake in order to start losing. I increased it by 100 calories and then my body didn't think I was starving anymore. Since then I've been consistently losing about 2 lbs a week give or take.

I understand your pain.

I lost 21lbs the first week and then it all came to a grinding halt. I hovered within a pound (up or down) for over 3 weeks till it finally started moving again. It didn't happen till three things lined up for me.

1. Plenty of Water every day. Had to stay hydrated.
  2. Plenty of Protein, 100 grams a day for me.
  3. Increase in my daily calories. I'm taking in around 1100 calories a day now compared to the 600-700 I had been getting.

I'll be honest, it's not coming off as fast as I thought it would, but it is starting to move again. I only weigh myself once or twice a week now. I was driving myself crazy with doing it daily and not seeing any progress.

Mike is completely correct here. Also, are you getting enough sleep? It has been repeatedly shown that those that get less than 7 hours of sleep a night have higher cortisol levels. This directly correlates to more belly fat. I had a stall that didn't break until I started getting at least my 7 hours. It didn't matter what else I did. Give it a shot. It couldn't hurt.

Hello :) First off, I can sense how frustrated you are, and of course you are! But try to not think about the numbers. I know, it seems impossible, but I am wondering if the stress you are putting yourself under is keeping you from losing. I am much further out (7 months), but I was recently in a high-stress situation and I lost zero weight for a month. The month before that, 2 lbs. At my point the weight loss is supposed to slow down, but zero lost was killer. As soon as I was out of the situation, I lost 4 lbs. Stress, and sleep (I believe someone else mentioned that) are super important!!

I have come to learn that I am *very* sensitive to stress, sleep, carbs, and Water. If I am "off" on any of those 4 then I don't lose. At all. I don't know if anyone else mentioned it. But make sure you are getting in ALL of your Water and then some!! It is super important because if you are dehydrated your body can't function properly and cannot "flush" the fat its burning.

Can I also suggest that if this continues that you talk to your surgeon? He/She may ask you to do blood work or something to make sure that everything is physically okay.

Good luck and please keep us posted! Deep breath, (((hugs))), smile. It will all work out :) You're sleeve won't let you down.

Thanks guys! I'm trying to keep logical brain strong. I know how this works, and I know that I truly do lose in "spurts" -- but this is a really long lag so soon into it -- I think that's the crux for me. I had an 18 month stall with my lapband, AFTER losing about 175 lbs. That I get. This just pisses me off. ;)

I added in the carbs she suggested last week (she said specifically "strawberries and crackers"... she wasn't having a creative day!) - as well as almonds, cashews, BelVita crackers, ssshhh - 6 or 7 salt & vinegar Pringles - my favorite and I don't even like chips, really -- but I only had them once, and Greek yogurt with honey (hard for me to eat, thick foods don't agree with my sleeve)... the occasional half piece of toast with Breakfast, half biscuit with dinner, whatever. I did manage to get my carbs up. It had a moderate impact on my calories. I had previously been very focused on low carb since that's typically what it takes for me to lose with any consistency.

I know I need more calories (this was my primary question to her today - how? I'm seriously at capacity almost all day long) but unless I switch to crappier foods, which I don't want - nor does she - it's going to be a struggle. I'm already eating 5 - 6+ small meals/snacks spread over about an hour each. My restriction is crazy at night so I pretty much stop eating around 6pm, or I have a tendency to reflux.

I'm going to also try to add in another Protein drink of at least 20gm once I'm done with solid food for the day. Last time we spoke she also wanted my Protein up to 70 - 80gm. I probably manage between 60 - 70 (I'd have to look at logs to know for sure). She told me that since I'm tall (5'10 female) I need more protein than their standard 65 - 70. Never heard of it being height-related, but I'm in no position to second guess, and it makes sense. I've tried a higher carb Protein Drink (the one I'm using now is zero carb) but higher carb usually = thicker which = sleeve discomfort OR a lot more volume to offset the viscosity.

I told her on the phone, "I know this has to give eventually. Someome with my BMR cannot continue indefinitely on 600 calories a day or I, personally, could become the cure for world hunger... but it has been long enough and I've tried enough alternatives/variations/etc that the emotional part of my brain is starting to wander into pitfall ways of thinking like Maybe I should've had the RNY or Maybe this is just how it's going to be or -- BAH! -- logical brain needs a major break!"

As for sleep I get about 7 hours. I don't have sleep apnea or anything, but I have a husband who snores loudly (and tends to punch me in the head when he turns) and a DD who has taken to waking up at 4am and laying next to my bed (door opening wakes me up, she wants me to put a blanket on her, etc.) I can try to adjust this, but 7 is a lot for me. I historically go on about 6. Good thoughts on the sleep, that hadn't occured to me but it should have.

Mike - do you keep a fitday or myfitnesspal log? I'd like to see how you're spacing out/divvying up your calories.

Thanks all, for your responses. I get this. I really do. But it's really starting to wear me down.

Wheetsin,

I really don't know what to suggest or to say - lots of great posts already. But, I just want you to know that, as useless as it may seem, I am sending positive vibes across the pond to you.

Keep ticking the boxes ... hopefully you will see results sooner than later

I am so sorry Wheetsin - I have no advice but just wanted to let you know I admire the way you've kept positive throughout this very frustrating time!! Keep it up and I am sure this stall will get the heck outta dodge and you'll start seeing some better #'s!!! :D

Emily - I go in for my 2 month post-op on 6/6, so it's will be more like a 10 week post-op. I'm def. going to talk to my surgeon then. I know he'll question no loss, if I still haven't had any change by then. I had full labs drawn yesterday (which was when I asked to use the scale) and he'll review those for my appt. as well.

I know I'm posting my frustration, but I'm not terribly stressed. Does that make sense? I don't own a scale specifically so that I can't obsess over numbers. I think scales are usually contradictory to systemically healthy weightloss. For the first several weeks I was just like "go figure, whatever." It's nothing for me to stall for 4 or so weeks (happened all the time with my band, between very large & quick losses). And being as low carb as I was, I know that the cycle of glycogen/fluid depletion and intake was going crazy. And I can tell from my jacked up TOM that I still have weird hormonal side effects. And I know that this is exactly what my body is supposed to do. Maybe I can just try to see it as having a superior survival mechanism in the reptilian portion of my brain. ;)

Yesterday when I asked to weigh, I amost didn't. The thought I had was: Why bother? It won't be any different. That's atypical for my way of thinking, and it surprised me. I don't normally post my own issues unless it's as anecdote, I usually post in hopes of helping others/sharing info. But having thought that was a bit of a wake-up call, and what drove me to call the NUT back and try to figure out a Plan C, or D, or K...

OMG!! And I was complaining about my 2 1/2 week stall! That really is crazy. Because it seems physiologically impossible for you (and me) not to lose on so few calories. I was expecting a stall at some point also but did not expect one this soon like you. Good luck and hang in there! Let us know what happens. I will definitely be interested in an update.

Thanks, all, for letting to "think out loud" - so to speak.

On a brigher note, I did have an NSV today. I pooped without Miralax for the first time in about 7 weeks. Yes!

1328855042547_1622052.png

Yay for pooping! I'm sorry you're going through this, Wheetsin. Hang in there. I have faith that your next visit will show you've broken the stall.

I can tell you you sound really similar to me - I have been doing a little better after the surgery but I have a metablic condition that my body kinda "tricks" itself into needing just what calories I happen to be providing - and if it is "excessive" in what it is interpreting as enough I have seem weight gains at 1000 calories a day.

But seriously - here is the deal - something in what you are doing is just not quite what it seems - be very thorough and careful. I know this from experience. I do not respond the same from 1000 calories a day of 30+ are carbs as opposed to 10 or so carbs. I have to have excessive amounts of Water. I canot eat highly processed foods.

Thing is, if you aren't snipping around the ends, then it is just a long process - but with the sleeve you will lose. It has become an invaluabel tool while I wait out my stalls and literally outstubborn my metabolism.