Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still in the testing and program phase of getting this procedure done. While I'm worried about the surgery, i'm more concerned w/ the amount of time it will take to heal. I've only got 2 weeks vacation time I can take and I"m hoping to get the procedure done somewhere around thanksgiving or christmas to sort of lengthen the amount of time I can take off work. I'm worried that i have a complication I'll be shooting myself in the foot with my job. I work at a computer but I"m up and down throughout the day. it makes me wonder if i'm doing the right thing now or if i should wait, my heart keeps telling me that I really can't wait and my brain keeps saying another year and I'll have more 3 weeks pto instead and wouldn't that be better. I feel for anyone who's already at the bridge...i'm still just looking at it like hmmmm.....

Ive had other operations but for some reason I'm afraid of not waking up and dying on the table. Surgery is 4 weeks out and I'm not backing down but still makes me tense up to think about it. Anyone else have these fears before surgery?

YES!!!! And they are very real.

PogiYogi, Did you have the sleeve done? If so when? Im at work and a co worker just came in and said

a friend and a relative passed away this weekend and made the comment that they happen in 3's.

Put a chill over me. What if I'm #3? I have never been scared to go into surgery until now. its almost

overwhelming.

PogiYogi' date=' Did you have the sleeve done? If so when? Im at work and a co worker just came in and said

a friend and a relative passed away this weekend and made the comment that they happen in 3's.

Put a chill over me. What if I'm #3? I have never been scared to go into surgery until now. its almost

overwhelming.[/quote']

The reason people die in threes is that people restart the count after three people die. :) We don't have complete control over the events in our life but we have more control than any other person.

The statistics overwhelmingly favor surviving surgery of this nature. It's not all that invasive nor is it all that bloody. Many people are back to their routine in a week or so.

I had worries about surgery too...An amazing thing happened the morning of my surgery April 24th...I was in the holding room just before surgery, really very anxious.

When I noticed the tiny room filling up, each person introduced themselves, my nurses, my anesthesiologist, the surg techs, the 2 new surgeons helping my surgeon, a paramedic that was there to observe(since I was a paramedic toowe had a laugh)...all wanted to reassure me that they were going to take great care of me and not to worry...omgoodness I was so overwhelmed by their words and touch! They told me they were about to give me versed to relax me...off I went, next thing I know I'm in recovery with some more wonderful nurses asking me what I needed for pain etc...could not ask for more than I received. Great hosptial and staff...they care! Im sure that is the case with most hopsitals! Try to relax :)

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I do feel somewhat better and never considered the 3 as starting over. :)

After reading the posts, I was able to take and deep breath and lean back in my chair. I think the reason Im stressing

so much over this one is due to the 6 week wait for the surgery date. Thats alot of time to stress over what "could"

happen. So ready for June 25 and have it past me. Thanks again !

I'm more excited than scared, I've been wanting this for so long and it's right around the corner. Good luck to all and lots of positive thoughts :-)

Being put under was easy. Unfortunately, I have been put under three times in the last month. Trust your anaesthesiologist (sp?) and ask them any questions that you have. I found that mine was more than willing to answer any questions that I had. For the most part, I have found that they are wonderful and easy to talk to.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I do feel somewhat better and never considered the 3 as starting over. :)

After reading the posts' date=' I was able to take and deep breath and lean back in my chair. I think the reason Im stressing

so much over this one is due to the 6 week wait for the surgery date. Thats alot of time to stress over what "could"

happen. So ready for June 25 and have it past me. Thanks again ![/quote']

I've read a lot of psych over the years, in many cases to enhance my self awareness. One thing I've learned is that people, all people, search for patterns and see patterns whether they actually exist or are only imagined. When Ed McMahon, Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson all passed away within the span of three days it seemed like a case of "coming in threes" but if you think about it more deeply it's obvious that the events were completely unrelated and in all three cases a long time in coming. Ed McMahon was 86 years old and had suffered poor health for several years. Farah Fawcett had been battling cancer for years and Michael Jackson had been using a powerful anesthetic as a sleep aid. The only common thread in these matters was the fame of the people involved and the accident of timing. Three famous poets from three different countries passed away the same day as Michael Jackson but no one noticed that group of three unless they were very into poetry.

If I might suggest; think carefully about your decision. Do you believe your surgeon to be competent? Is the hospital reputable? Do the physicians you rely on concur with your decision? If so you've probably done all you can do to insure success. Your next step is the pre-op diet. In the meantime you might want to experiment with post-op foods.

I bought some sugar free Jello today and I've been experimenting with Greek yogurt. I probably have a month longer than you before surgery but these are things within my control that I can do in preparation while I wait. I've decided upon a surgeon and the hospital he works from is modern, efficient and clean. The insurance company seems reasonable and my PCP is enthusiastic about it. I feel like I'm part of a winning team.

As far as what "could happen" is concerned remember this; any number of things are possible but that does not mean that they are likely to happen. There is a remote chance that a meteorite will strike me while I'm asleep tonight but there's nothing I can do about it. I could spend the night out scanning the skies with a telescope but that would actually be much riskier, especially here in the desert with snakes and Gila Monsters. My point isn't to sound scary but simply to present some perspective. There's a minuscule chance that I could be hit my a meteorite, a slightly greater chance of being bitten by a venomous reptile but both risks put together pale in comparison to any number of everyday activities such as standing on a ladder to change a lightbulb or slipping in the shower. The thing is, our minds tend to fixate on the unusual and ignore the mundane.

Surgery is unusual but statistically pretty safe. If the surgeon thought that the risk were high he wouldn't agree to operate. In all probability you'll come through like a champ and be on the road to better health.