Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marathon Walking

Hello everyone. Right now, I am not walking, due to staples inmy stomach from being sleeved last Monday. My goal is to do the Disney Half Marathon next January. Since June, I have been walking, but sciactica has kicked my butt after 1-3 miles. So I am hoping that will go away and I can do the marathon walking. Is there a group of marathoners for WLS people? Is there a blog or website for training for the marathon? Is there a certain shoe for bigger men that you suggest? Thanks for any help.

Sorry, Teach. I just saw this one. Mass Index and PDX Man are both long-distance runners. There's another guy who walks long distances with his dog, but I can't recall his name. He posts sporadically, but it's always something like "X months out, walked XXX miles". All of them are great resources for marathon type endeavors. :)

Thanks. I will check with them.

I have been walking alot and thought of walking in Disney too! Can we get a group together? Where are you from?

Disney teach....as far as shoes for bigger people you should really invest in a good pair of running pair of shoes or two, because it is actually best to rotate shoes. If I'm not mistaken your from the Chicagoland area, you should check out fleetfeet. It's a store that specializes in everything running. They are really great in helping pick out which shoes are best for your walking/running pattern.

Disney teach....as far as shoes for bigger people you should really invest in a good pair of running pair of shoes or two' date=' because it is actually best to rotate shoes. If I'm not mistaken your from the Chicagoland area, you should check out fleetfeet. It's a store that specializes in everything running. They are really great in helping pick out which shoes are best for your walking/running pattern.[/quote']

Thanks for your help. I will check out that store.

Disneyteach- I'll be there too!! The princess half was my first half marathon! I'm doing the Disneyland half this September for my coast to coast medal. And I'm signing up for the goofy challenge in Jan. Disney is awsome for walkers- but remember you still need to keep a 16 min mile to not get swept. If you are on Facebook, Run Disney has a page and it's great. I'd love a buddy for Disney races, though I run/walk. But we can meet up before or after, or just chat online to keep motivation going.

I definately recommend getting a GOOD pair of running shoes, and to be fitted for them at a running store. Please feel free to contact me anytime!!

Disneyteach- I'll be there too!! The princess half was my first half marathon! I'm doing the Disneyland half this September for my coast to coast medal. And I'm signing up for the goofy challenge in Jan. Disney is awsome for walkers- but remember you still need to keep a 16 min mile to not get swept. If you are on Facebook' date=' Run Disney has a page and it's great. I'd love a buddy for Disney races, though I run/walk. But we can meet up before or after, or just chat online to keep motivation going.

I definately recommend getting a GOOD pair of running shoes, and to be fitted for them at a running store. Please feel free to contact me anytime!![/quote']

Thanks I will look into the Facebook group. I have been timing myself every morning on the track. I am walking 15:22 with a Water break every mile. I read about the 16 minute rule, but I am not sure I can keep the pace for 13 miles. Any suggestions? I think I need to go to a running store, because buying shoes off Amazon is not working. The problem is that with diabetes, my feet swell at different times. I might need two pair of shoes. Thanks and I will link up on Facebook.

You definately need proper shoes and you need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. 2 pairs is best as it takes your shoes 24-48 hours to totally dry and rebound. Plus your shoes last double the amount of time. As for suggestions. Jeff Galloway has a great walk run technique that you can look at ( he a fave on run Disney too). Why don't you try every 2 min of walking, jog for 15 seconds. Start with that and as you get better you can increase time. I may do half marathons, but I use his method and walk 1 min, jog 1 min. Works wonders. You'd be surprised how much quicker your time will get, even with 15 sec at a time!!! If you ever need a buddy to chat with, your welcome to friend me!!!

Btw- never under estimate the power of nervous energy on race day!! Everyone pushes everyone along. It's an awsome thing to see : )