Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein How Do You Get It In

I'm having a rough time.. how do you all get it In.. whats your schedule what are you eating?

Since when I eat, I can only get in 3 or 4 bites before I'm full, I really cannot count much Protein from food yet. The only answer I know is the Protein Drink. First thing when I wake up, I make a protein drink so I know I have the right start to my day. Then in an hour or two, I have my 3 or 4 bites of food. Afternoon, another protein drink. Couple hours later, 3 or 4 bites.... and then later another food thing and if I can add all the food I've eaten up to 20 gms of protein, I'm good for the day. If not, I have another 4 oz or 8 oz protein drink. And all day long I'm sipping to get the Fluid in. I'm 4 wks postop tomorrow.

Joni, You're doing great. It takes awhile to get up to that 70 grams of Protein a day consistently, but you will get there! :)

New Life, liquids first, then Protein. You'll be a pro at it in no time! :)

I'm nine months out and still do not get in all my protein...I really need to find a Protein drink that doesn't suck.

The shakes are just so disgusting :( Nd the one I like is waaay expensive

Thanks Lissa!! It's good to hear that from you!!!

I am struggling with Protein too. But now my hair is falling out at a very fast rate so I am back trying the Protein Shakes. I also do not get enought calories in (suppose to get 800 but I am closer to 600). I did find a Protein Shake that isn't too bad, Ensure Protein. Its premixed so it is not gritty.

WonderSlim mocha and strawberry Protein Shakes are pretty good with 15 grams of Protein per shake. The cheesecake pudding is really good too, just add more Water to make it a shake. I prefer Wonderslim more than most Protein Drinks since it can be purchased without soy, wheat, or aspartame. I am also lactose intolerant but the Calcium caseinate in wonderslim doesn't aggravate my system.

I know all about hating Protein Shakes. I had a heck of a time with them. I went for a period where I could barely stomach them about 2 wks postop. You have to try different ones and play around with them. Mixing with Water, milk, half water/milk, I even tried a little less than a scoop so they weren't that strong tasting. And I would go in spurts where I could only tolerate Unjury vanilla in milk. Now I'm on nectar strawberry Mousse or Unjury vanilla in orange classic crystal light. Any of the premixed drinks I've tried gag me. I also have Nectar strawberry kiwi which I liked then grossed me out. I'm going to try it again with more water this time. A lot of people also like adding the sugar-free Torani syrups to them to change or add different flavor. You need your Protein, so please try to experiment.

oh and another trick, try adding 1 TBSP any flavor of SF instant pudding.< /p>

It took my quite a while to find a Protein drink I "tolerate" well. I'm getting used to them because they are a somewhat necessary evil. I learned to make Protein ice cream right here on VST and that's really good, especially now that it's getting warmer. I also still eat a Protein Bar several times a week for Breakfast.

My breakthrough came when I realized that I'm not all that interested in food for it's taste anymore. I usually think of food as either protein or not protein and eat accordingly. There are notable exceptions (cheetos), but most food is just fuel these days.

You can do a lot with Protein drinks and powders, too. If you don't like them as a shake, try adding them to pudding or protein ice cream. The World According to Eggface is a great blog! She has tons of recipes for food and drinks that are high protein. She's an RnY girl, but her recipes are great for all of us.

My first two weeks post op I was making a shake of two scoops and 9 oz of milk. That would be split into three meals a of 3oz each. If you are REALLY struggling, that is a an easy way to get in Protein without having to drink ALL that much of a shake... Then when you count what protein you do get from food you may be right around where you need to be. I will still sometimes make a shake up that way and have a shot or two a day of it to just boost up my protein a bit for that day. It keeps in the fridge for a few days if you need it to.

Premier shakes at sams or costco is good tastes like chocolate milk 30 grams of Protein i do 2 of those a day

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

Premier shakes at sams or costco is good tastes like chocolate milk 30 grams of Protein i do 2 of those a day

Me too. EAS makes tasty ones, too, but they only have 17-20 grams of Protein and I'm lovin' the 30grams in one drink!!

Greek yogurt has got a great amount of protein as well as cottage cheese! I was one of the lucky ones. I was getting 50 gms in the day I got home from surgery and easily hit 75 and up daily. It's worth it to me to ATTEMPT to keep my hair :o (also take Zinc, Biotin and my multi vit). You'll get there - don't give up!!

I still can't stomach the Premier Protein drinks. I can choke them down if I have to but am trying other sources. I LOVE cottage cheese and Greek yogurt but currently can only eat 1/4 cup at a time and I'm 17 days out so I still need to supplement. Two days ago I made a Mediterranean tuna salad which is really good and I get a good amount of Protein from the tuna. At this time my NUT wants me to get 60 grams of protein at least, so I''m still supplementing with shakes (and probably always will). I add Unjury Vanilla Protein Powder to my yogurt too. I did find a decent mixture that is currently working for me. 1 scoop Unjury unflavored Protein powder, 1 tsp of Crystal Light Margarita mix powder, and I mix this with about 24 ounces of Water as I have a 26 ounce water bottle I use daily. I drink this usually in the morning and can get it down pretty easily within an hour or so. I get 20 grams of protein along with a good amount of water too. Tonight I am making Tilapia for family dinner so I should get a decent amount of protein in from that and these other sources.