Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do?

Since unbanding last Dec, I have been seeing Dr. Billy about every 6 weeks. The last visit was this past Friday. He had initially said he wouldn't consider re-banding in my case due to scaring. But Friday he said he might reconsider that thinking. So, my options now are to either do the RNY or another LapBand. HMMM? Decisions Decisions. LOL!!

I can't even begin to think about either till I change from my PPO to HMO. UGH! Wonder how difficult that will be? Anyone changed from PPO to HMO lately? Gotta make some calls Monday and check it out.

The good news is I have maintained my weight since June. HOORAY!!! :clap2: The bad news is I weigh 269 lbs. UGH!!! :faint:

I have done enough research on the RnY to consider it seriously. I know alot about the LapBand. LOL!! I just don't know if I want to go through ANOTHER surgery period. SIGH!!

Man, what a tough decision! But, it sounds like you've at least got some options. I hope things work out for you. Congrats on maintaining your weight!! Good luck!

Penni, that's very exciting news! So good to hear you have more options open to you. And it's wonderful that you have an avenue that will cover Dr. Billy!! You are in the best possible hands, and that must be a huge relief for you.

How/when you can change your insurance depends on your employer and the laws in your state. In NJ you can only switch during open enrollment, which is the annual anniversary of the plan. So you might have a wait in front of you, but whenever open enrollment comes around switching shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm rooting for you!!!

Hey Penni....I sure don't envy you your position. Tough one and only you can make the correct decision for yourself. I know that either way,you will go into it with your eyes wide open and that is the best you can do.

If it were me, I would likely chose the Lapband route again and give it another shot (of course, it is easy for me to say this not being in the position you are in).

As for the insurance questions, I will plead complete ignorance since I am not American and have no idea!!

All that being said, good luck on your journey of decision making!!

(oh yeah, and YAY you for maintaining since Jun!!! and it is great you have options now!).

;)

That's GREAT news Penni. Having a choice is always better than not. It's also a lot harder! Funny that.

Obviously you're the only one who can decide what's best for you but since you're asking for opinions . . . .

You've maintained your weight, so it sounds like you understand how to eat. It seems like you just need something to keep you feeling fuller longer and to regulate the quantity of food you can eat.

+ Lapband.

You don't mention any co-morbidities which would require you to lose weight QUICKLY.

+ Lapband

If you really wanted to have Bypass, you would probably have done it by now.

+ Lapband

You say you don't want to have more surgery.

- Bypass, - Lapband, + Weight Watchers

Like almost everyone here you've probably already tried Weight Watchers.

+ Lapband

I'm still too new to this and have not suffered from any complications to speak of (does taking Nexium for an irritated esophagus count as a complication? I'm thinking not so much) to really understand the frustration you've experienced with the band. I would think that your situation would naturally leave you thinking Bypass might be a better option for you, but in all honesty, I couldn't see myself going with that drastic a surgery if the band would works as well over time. Of course my assumption here is that your new band would work better - and longer! - than your last band.

In short, I'm not much help to you! lol Sorry Penni. Good luck on making a tough decision.

Hey Penni! It's so good to hear from you again!

First of all.. Great job on maintaining your weight this summer! I'm thrilled for you!

Secondly, if I were in your shoes I'd go with the band again. That way, you -still- have options open to you if something goes wrong. The RnY is so dangerous and so final. There will never be a chance to "remove it" and try again. You did well with the band, perhaps give it another go and maybe choose the larger band.

Whatever you do decide, know that we are all behind you 100% and will be praying for you. You are loved here, and we want you healthy and happy!

Love ya!

I value each and everyone of your guys input.

Dr Billy mentioned going the HMO route since there is a clinic / group that refers patients to him for both surgeries that is within spitting distance from me. One other tidbit is that my PCP takes HMO and that would take a HUGE load off me. I was paying out of pocket every time I go see him. If he is under the HMO then cool Beans.

I have some calling to do tomorrow to find out when open enrollment is for our little company. It is just John and I in the company so it shouldn't be hard to figure it out and get the question answered. LOL!!

Also gotta call Heather (Billy's insurance person) and get some feedback from her as well on the Insurance aspect from his side.

The reason I haven't already done ANY surgrey is because I can't pay out of pocket for it and my insurance doesn't cover ANY of the WLS. But the HMO will cover them. GO FIGURE!!

My co-morbities right now are High Cholesterol (again), joint pain (again), chest pains (again), etc. Everything I had before the Lapband has come back now that I have gained some weight back. So, I wanna nip this in the bud before it gets much worse. I have grandkids to enjoy now.

Thanks again guys.

Hey Penny! Does Dr. Billy know the chances of the band eroding again if you get another one? I sure would hate to go through another band surgery only to lose it again in another year or two. But I'm totally chicken when it comes to bypass, so if the chances are low that I could erode again, I would have to go with the band, but only you can make that decision for you. Good luck in your research and getting the insurance situated so you will have minimal out of pocket expense.

BTW: spent lots of time in Clarksville not long ago (Titans training camp) thought about you often :)

Tricia

Oh Penni, what an awful decision to have to make.

If it were me I think I'd do the band again in the hope that someday there will be a better solution to obesity.

I just dont think I could ever consider one of the more final procedures.

What about the gastric sleeve? Refresh my memory - didnt Billy say that he wouldnt recommend this?

And would your HMO/PPO cover it? I guess thats the BIG question.

Out of all weight loss surgeries - the GS is the one that makes the most sense to me - even more so then the band.

But MY options deal more with $$ then 'sense'... and that means the by-pass would be my only option.

Paula we discussed the Gastric Sleeve. He thinks there just isn't enough data about that procedure yet to see if it is successful as the other WLS. He said it is like doing half a surgery and it is pretty drastic to remove half your stomach as opposed to just re-routing your intestines.

He doesn't think I would do as well with the GS as I would with a bypass. He is only reconsidering putting a band on me because he just did another of his patients the other day and is watching her closely with Endo's every 6 to 8 months. He said he would want to do the same with me if he put another band on me. SIGH!!

For that reason alone I would consider the Bypass. Who wants to be Endo'd every 6 to 8 months? NOT ME!!!

Gotta make some Insurance phone calls and see what they will cover and what they exclude. Then decide when or if I wanna switch plans to HMO.

SIGH!! And all this on top of me leaving on the 30th of Aug for two weeks to go on a House Concert Tour with John through the Southeast. And also filling a rather LARGE order for my Jewelry. So lots going on these days with me.

HUGS everyone

a House Concert Tour with John through the Southeast.

Huh? Anywhere near Charlotte, NC?

I'm keeping up with your saga, and i'm anxious to find out what happens next! Keep us updated.

What about S. Louisiana??

Penni, I feel comfortable enough telling YOU this, IMO - I wouldnt re-band. I would be super aware of every little twitch-gurgle-heartburn-creek-squeak-burp-pb... wondering if my body was reacting to another erosion. And I wouldnt want to go through the emotional/grieving phase again *IF* I had to get unbanded AGAIN.

An endo every 6-8 months.. Is that for the rest of your banded life?

Thats alot of maintance.

You'll know youve made the right decision by the Peace you receive once your mind is made up!

Love ya!

Oh my god what a decision. I tried to put myself in your place...what would I do? I guess I would come here and ask for support. I think that anything that you do will be successful. You have helped so many here and have supported so many, you will make the best decision for you. You know that you can do it with the band,do you fell you need to do something different? I know that sometimes something new is successful because I haven't done it before. Good Luck in making your decision.