Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow! A Grandparents Group For Sleevers

this is exactly why I had bariatric surgery. My top weight...377. My top height...5'2. Bad huh?. But did I stay on my diet, no. It wasn't until my doc told me I had pulmonary hypertension, and if I didn't do something, I would need a heart transplant in 5 years. That I heard.

You see, I'm 60 years old and am raising my 8 year old grandson. My husband and I have legal custody and that kid needs me to guide him and nurture him to manhood. And there is no way I am having a heart transplant.

Started my journey last August when I attended the introductory group. Finally had surgery April 20, and at last weigh in I had lost 61 pounds. The scale hasn't budged for 2 weeks now, but I am not discouraged. I can walk twice as long without having to stop to catch my breath. I actually worked in the garden today.

I hope I will see my grandson graduate high school and college. That will make all this worth it. :)

Hi walesmary, you certainly have your hands full! I have 2 grandsons who are only babies, 21months and 6 months, but I am very sad when I get too tired to play, and sometimes need help getting off the floor when I'm brave enough to get down to their level and play. I had my kids very young and I want to be able to enjoy these little guys for a long time to come! The day the first one was born my heart burst with love for him like I never thought it could! I'm still pre-surgery and just starting my journey, I wish you all the luck and strength to make your goals and raise that boy the way you dream!

:D

I have 4 beautiful grandchildren & I too want to see them grow & to be able to play with them without having to "take a break" every 5 minutes cause I am winded LOL! They range in age from 14 year old twin girls , 7 year old girl & the baby boy who is now 4. Lots of energy in these kids & I want to be a part of their lives & not from the sidelines :)

It's so nice to have a group for us grandparents! I have 7 grandkiddies ranging from almost 7 yrs old to 2 yrs old. I also have another one on the way in Mar 2013. We just visited my son with 4 kiddies and they are very, very active. I'm so glad that I can keep up with them! The sleeve was the best decision I have made for myself, for as I go along this journey, I am discovering many things about myself--namely, old habits don't die and now my eyes are much bigger than my stomach! lol!! It's also nice to know that there are older folks who are doing the sleeve and our weight loss seems to be a bit slower, but slow and steady wins the race. Congrats to everyone!

Way to go cherri2082. I will be sleeved in Mar / April and I am looking forward to it. So I'm assuming there were no complications with your surgery? How long were you in the hospital and where do you live?

I was in for 4 days, longer than usual. I had my colon removed a year ago - so a whole new users manual. I have been home 24 hrs and already made a trip to Michaels Craft Store - my belly is sore, a bit swollen, and I protect from being bumped. I haven't weighed - I have a dr.appt.1/6 - probably expand my diet some. Right now I am restricted to only Clear Liquids. sugar-free and fat-free Jello and popsicles, no caffiene, Decaf tree,.and.chicken/broth stock...when I look at that list - I better lose 10 lbs!

How many grands do you have?

Forgot the live part. Boise - been here 6.months

I'm glad you're doing good! I'm sure you have loss quite a bit of weight, just imagine how you will look 6 months or even a year from now, don't forget to take pics along the way. I have 3 grands, 2 beautiful boys (18 & 7) and 1 beautiful grand-daughter (16) and they are one of the reasons why I'm choosing to have the surgery. I live in Delaware and it's cold here right now but not as cold as it is in Boise I'm sure, lol

I am from Ocean Isle Beach in NC - I have 6 grandsons -all under 10 - not sure if a girl is ever in my future! A lot of the reason I am doing this journey is for my grands. High school- weddings and everything in between!!!