Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To be banded 8/21 Emotional wreck

Hello I am new to this site, going through alot of emotions rightnow, my surgery is very soon. Been having second thoughts , trying to talk myself out of it. Very emotional time for me right now. If any of you out there felt the same why before surgery could you give me some advise on how you delt with it. Thanks :phanvan

I was nervous, and even pretty scared before surgery. I found that education helped me. I went out on the net and found a link to a video of a lapband procedure, with an inside view. After I knew exactly what to expect, it wasn't nearly as scary for me.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3190472028990485080&q=lap-band&hl=en

After Surgery, I was up and walking around (Ambulating!) within 2 hours, and the day after surgery, it mostly felt like I'd done too many situps. The only thing that still hurts, and not that much, is to cough or sneeze.

Tim

wilsonjw23,

I am to be banded the following day, the 22nd! I am feeling the nerves as well, mainly beucause I have never been put under before.

My DW was the guinea pig for me as she had the same procedure done 3 weeks ago.

She is doing fine now but I still have the nerves about the procedure.

Let me know how it goes.

Ken

DH to JMO

Hello I am new to this site, going through alot of emotions rightnow, my surgery is very soon. Been having second thoughts , trying to talk myself out of it. Very emotional time for me right now. If any of you out there felt the same why before surgery could you give me some advise on how you delt with it. Thanks :phanvan

Didn't you have a psych eval? You might want to go and talk to them again. If you are trying to talk yourself out of it, you may not be ready to do it. Good Luck on your decision!!!:)

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I was scheduled, had something else medically come up and had to cancel. I was relieved in a way, now I wish that I had had it sooner. I am very happy with my loss to date. You should be sure that this is what you want to do, although it can be reversed it is meant to be permanent and you need to look at it as a permanent lifestyle change. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

I think a lot of what your feeling is normal, but if you don't have peace about it perhaps like everyone said you are not ready.

It has been the best thing I have ever done in my life, and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Perhaps you can speak with your counselor before Monday.

Remeber it is a process right now that you are taking. The whole WL journey is a process. We have been so protected for so long with our shield of fat, that it is very scary to give that up.

Good luck, if you need an ear, PM me we are all here for each other.

I felt the same way! I'm 10 days post-op, and it's been an emotional roller-coaster. This is a big deal -- not only is it surgery, which is big all by itself, but it's also a major change to how we move through the world. Relying on food as a comfort and a friend for soooo long is now going to change. It makes perfect sense that you'd be feeling emotional and worried!

I'd suggest being very gentle with yourself, write out your long-term goals for having the surgery, and then be gentle with yourself some more :)

I'm sending you lots of hugs, and all my best wishes. I'm sure you're going to be absolutely fine! Do some searches on this board for anxiety and/or depression and see what others have had to say. Surround yourself with love & support, and know that you're making a powerful decision to take care of yourself by taking charge of your health.

Much love to you!

I was banded on Aug. 1st. and I was so anxious about the proceedure but it went great and I am down 15 already. It is much worse in your head then when you actually get it done. Best wishes to you...

Lisa

Everytime I take a step closer to surgery, I get nervous. Whenever I think I might want to change my mind and I start to think of reasons why I shouldn't have the surgery, something happens to remind me why I'm doing it in the first place. When I can't tie my shoe, when I see my airplane seat belt extender in my drawer, when I think about that trip to Europe that I don't take with my husband because I can't walk far without my legs and back hurting me -- I say "aha, this is why." I think about my borderline diabetes and high pressure, oh yeah, and there's the arthritis and shortness of breath too. Then I ask myself why I can't just lose this weight without surgery. The answer is because it overwhelms me. I need help to do it. I'm 54 years old, my husband is 58. Life is hard enough and I don't want to waste one more year of my life missing out on making memories. Hope this gives you something to think about. Good luck.

Regards... Debi

Hi Wilson, I'm Due To Have The Sx On The Same Day. I'm Full Of Emotions But Most Of All I'm Excited! My Friend Was Scared And Breaking Out In Rashes Due To Her Fear. But She Did Fine And I Know Will Be As Happy As All Of The Banders.

Ladydi

I was nervous, and even pretty scared before surgery. I found that education helped me. I went out on the net and found a link to a video of a lapband procedure, with an inside view. After I knew exactly what to expect, it wasn't nearly as scary for me.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3190472028990485080&q=lap-band&hl=en

After Surgery, I was up and walking around (Ambulating!) within 2 hours, and the day after surgery, it mostly felt like I'd done too many situps. The only thing that still hurts, and not that much, is to cough or sneeze.

Tim

THANK YOU Tim- the video is Wonderful- Im now even more excited!!

Everyone who has a band or is geeting one should watch this video!

Thankyou everyone for the advice and support. I just can't stop thinking about the informed consent the surgeon gave me at Pre op appt. Reg. all the potential complications and risks involved.

Thankyou everyone for the advice and support. I just can't stop thinking about the informed consent the surgeon gave me at Pre op appt. Reg. all the potential complications and risks involved.

Have you ever had surgery before?? It sounds like you really are not psychologically ready to have this done yet. You need to weigh the pros and cons.....can you live with your weight as it is? Do you personally know anyone else who has this done? How are they? Do you know anyone who has had surgery before?....what was their recovery like. Everything has a risk, even going to the dentist can prove fatal. If your preop tests came out fine, then you will be fine. Try to calm down, otherwise you are gonna have a hard time of it. Informed consent is nothing more than a piece of paper that protects the doc against your family....i have signed them many times...and I am still here..(:) ) . My husband had to sign with all three c-sections...who did he want to save...me or the baby?? Best Wishes!!

Oh honey - I was so nervous before my sugery - I cam on here and gave someone my husbands phone # in case I died and wasnt back on the board. It sounds so silly now, but I was terrified at the time. Everyone told me it would be ok,,, and guess what - it was! It was no big deal really! And, it was the best decision I ever made! I cant even begin to tell you how much happier and healthier I am now. I had never been under before, but it was smooth sailing all the way.

That being said, if you cant decide, then wait and re-schedule your surgery. It's your decision and you can always have surgery later. Just do what feels right to you! For me, I was scared of the surgery, but I was more scared of being unhappy and unhealthy and obese my whole life.