Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok folks, we all come on these boards to share, help, get support, and generally interact in a world where we know most people totally get where we are coming from right?

So I would like to propose we do a thread that inspires newbies and reminds us all why we are doing this. Can you share your best post-surgical experience? I will start with one of my favourite most memorable ones:

It was the second Summer after my surgery. The previous Summer I had lost most of the weight and I was at a size 14. The second summer I pulled out the big box of Summer clothing and began to unpack it. I remember getting ready to try on the clothing and had that familiar feeling of dread. Every Summer of my life, the clothes were tight and usually had to be replaced. Every Summer of the past I realized I had failed again to do anything but get fatter. So I was in a state of anxiety when I pulled on the first pair of shorts.

They were too big. When I double checked that yes in fact they were baggy, I sat on my bed and wept. I cried with relief, disbelief and joy. Biggest moment ever in my journey.

How about you?

Since surgery 14 months ago, I've had many best moments but my top would have to be the morning I went out with my running group and ran 14 miles. I started to think about how far I'd come in merely nine months from the girl who could barely climb a flight of stairs. I actually started crying. FYI it's really hard to run and cry. ;)

There are so many--

Walking into any regular department store knowing that I can fit into anything they have--if I don't buy something it's because I didn't like it, not because it was too small.

Crossing my legs the way magazine models do--calves and ankles touching--and having it look good.

Throwing away food because I'd rather be thin than eat it. Learning to serve myself tiny portions because that is all my body needs.

Skydiving and not being too fat to jump!

Having an acquaintance refer to me as "small" when in grade school I was called the Jolly Green Giant because I was tall and chunky.

Well..I am not that far out...but I can now sit in the middle of the row of the movie theater instead of on the outside seats so I don't touch anyone when I sit.

I'm constantly having these, even this far out.

Right now, it's being able to actually workout with serious like-minded workout freaks and being able to keep up. Or should I say, make their heads spin? LOL yeah, it's pretty fun.

<---------------------Also, being able to take pictures like this.

Fox bins,

When I can cross my legs as you described --- that will be a huge milestone for me. I've dreamed of being able to cross my legs for years.

I have so, so many! I'm a month away from my 2 yr anniversary....so I really don't have any new things happen any more! SAD!!! The ones that stand out in my mind are when I realized all of a sudden I had a collar bone; When I went from shopping in the 'womens' dept to the missy dept; Then when I was at the GAP and slipped into a size 4. I still find it hard to believe. I don't wear a four in everything, but to wear a four in anything....wow!! I was wearing an 18 and 20 when I had surgery! The other 'big deal', that is memorable is the first time someone called me skinny. Being referred to as tiny, skinny, small......for the longest time I'd look around to see who they might be talking to....now I just smile on the inside. Life is good!!!

Ok folks, we all come on these boards to share, help, get support, and generally interact in a world where we know most people totally get where we are coming from right?

So I would like to propose we do a thread that inspires newbies and reminds us all why we are doing this. Can you share your best post-surgical experience? I will start with one of my favourite most memorable ones:

It was the second Summer after my surgery. The previous Summer I had lost most of the weight and I was at a size 14. The second summer I pulled out the big box of Summer clothing and began to unpack it. I remember getting ready to try on the clothing and had that familiar feeling of dread. Every Summer of my life, the clothes were tight and usually had to be replaced. Every Summer of the past I realized I had failed again to do anything but get fatter. So I was in a state of anxiety when I pulled on the first pair of shorts.

They were too big. When I double checked that yes in fact they were baggy, I sat on my bed and wept. I cried with relief, disbelief and joy. Biggest moment ever in my journey.

How about you?

This is a great thread! I'm sitting here wondering if I am crazy for doing this and if I will hate it! I almost think we get stuck at the immediate post op stage and forget we are actually gonna lose weight! I know that sounds weird but that's kind of how I feel! So thanks for sharing!

Loving this thread! I know I have a little more road to travel until I attain some of the milestones I am reading about here but it is making me realize ALL THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME, TOO! After a lifetime of struggling and fighting, there is light at the end of this tunnel. Thanks to all of you for opening up and sharing these and all of your other stories. I certainly hope you all realize what an inspiration you are to us. .

I just had my big moment on Mother's Day. I got on the scale and it said 197! I am two months out from surgery and under 200 pounds for the first time in 10 years! I LOVE MY SLEEVE!

I've had two milestones in two days. The first was trying on bathing suits yesterday. My cousin, who works at the store, kept insisting that I try on a 16 rather than the 18/20 I was looking at. To shut her up, I did...and it fit, as did every other 16 she handed me. Then she said "This won't fit you for long, maybe you should just wait a couple of weeks and buy the 14." I was stunned to fit into a non-plus size in anything and even more stunned to realize that she's right, the 16 won't fit for long!

My second milestone was with my pulmonologist today. I've been on coumadin for blood clots for most of the last year. My most recent test came back still on the high side for clotting, but my doc actually told me to refuse the medication, citing my increased activity level! He's going to run a couple more tests for me, but he thinks it's a "false high" on the test and, as long as my other tests come back fine, he's cool with me staying off the coumadin. He also did lung function tests today and told me that I have rewound my "breathing age" by at least a year, possibly more, with all of the cardio work I've been doing.

Oh, yeah, I had a third one today. A girl at the gym complimented my arms, saying that my biceps are looking really good. I'm pleased that someone else notices the hard work I've put into my arms, even if it did feel a little weird to have a girl be the one paying the compliment! :)

This isn't a moment in particular, but it is happiness I like to share anyway. I have always had HUGE feet - size 12 and had trouble finding shoes. On top of that I was so obese that my feet hurt all the time. So I spent a lot of time in mens shoes with arch support... talk about a buzz kill that makes you feel dowdy!

Now I have a RIDICULOUS number of high heeled shoes. I go on 4 inch wedges just to grocery shop. I wear very slutty shoes with a conservative business suit just because I can. I order them on line from Nordstrom and I don't care if it is excessive... I deserve at least one vice.

My husband built me a "shoe church" of shelves in my closet so I can pick which lovely pair of sweeties I will wear to WOW the world.

You know the body part will never be perfect after two kids and a huge weight loss, but the shoes make a bg difference in how I feel.

I've always dreaded flying because of the seat size in comparison to my size. When I flew back in March to see family, I had an aisle seat. The man in the middle seat was complaining, because he hated not having any room. He looked at me and said, "But at least you're not a large person." I was speechless for a moment before I could thank him. Amazing.